WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Long Trail - August weather

I haven't given much thought to the gear I'm taking on my Long Trail E2E in August, figuring it was mid-summer. Average low/high temps in VT during August are 50/75.

But... I've been reading some LT journals and even hikers who are hiking in August make reference to being "cold and wet" and a few "it was nice to get in my warm sleeping bag" comments.

So now I'm wondering... I was planning on just shorts and my ULA rain skirt but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a pair of long pants and some rain pants.... or...

1. shorts, ULA rain skirt
    2. long pants, rain pants
    3. shorts, rain pants

I think a good compromise would be #3... Take only shorts but have a pair of rain pants for rain and to block the wind in cooler weather.

My *preference* would still be shorts and rain skirt though - question is will it be warm enough?

Im leaving July 1st for my LT e2e and i plan on wearing shorts but I will be carrying rain pants and also some light wool long johns. Its hard to say what youll need..in VT it can be cold and rainy as easily as it can be 90 degrees. I plan on being prepared for both!

I hiked the southern half of the Long Trail in August 2010. Started Aug 18th. Days were warm enough for shorts/t-shirt. Most nights were 50s-60s or above. But toward the end of August, we had a couple nights when temps dipped into high 30s/low 40s, the first autumn chill. I'd suggest #3 shorts and rain pants- to be prepared for both. I used a WM Highlight bag for that trip and it was plenty warm; wore my fleece top and Cap-2 bottoms on cold nights inside the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I hiked the southern half of the Long Trail in August 2010. Started Aug 18th. Days were warm enough for shorts/t-shirt. Most nights were 50s-60s or above. But toward the end of August, we had a couple nights when temps dipped into high 30s/low 40s, the first autumn chill. I'd suggest #3 shorts and rain pants- to be prepared for both. I used a WM Highlight bag for that trip and it was plenty warm; wore my fleece top and Cap-2 bottoms on cold nights inside the bag.
    #3 it is... That's makes the most sense.

Images

Mansfield and the couple of peaks above treeline will be similar to the White Mts. above treeline.

The question to ask yourself is whether you're prepared to avoid hypothermia for simultaneous high winds, heavy rain and temperatures in the 40s. My preference would be for synthetic or wool long johns and rain pants, and significant upper body insulation (synthetic warm underwear top plus fleece) plus rain parka and hat. Temps below 40-45F would likely be after a cold front, so clear and dry -- much easier than a cold rain. The weather underground stations at Stratton Mt. and Stowe show Aug. temps as low as 44F in some years, but those elevations are below the tops (<2500') so other places might be colder.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey I hope to go in Sept if it works out. I may go Sobo. Guess I'll miss you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Have you hiked the BMT yet?

Images

im thinking the same for my maine SOBO this august. probably bring my convertibles and rain pants, just in case.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hope to do it next spring. My mother fell ill and passed away in late March so I was unable to do it this yr.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Hey 10-K - I end to ended in 2010 and skipped the rain pants - - we did have 2 really soaking rains - - one near Clarendon Gorge, another around Cooley Glenn (just before Mt. Ellen) and the other near the Puffer Shelter - - I carried an ArcTeryx rain jacket and "bucket style OR rain hat but no rain pants - - of course, I had a fleece sweater and warm wool hat - - I wore those items a lot. Hiking in the rain one day near Emily Proctor shelter, I did wish for my rain pants and did have to stop at the shelter, pack towel off, put on my sweater and put my legs down in a plastic bag for warmth - I guess they would have been nice to have, but as long as you have a warm core layer and extra socks, you could potentially skip the rain pants - - I do of course always carry long underwear top and bottom in my sleeping bag in a dry sack if I truly need to get warm and for sleeping - - heck, you're so fast, I would think you could outrun most rain storms

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I hope to do it next spring. My mother fell ill and passed away in late March so I was unable to do it this yr.
    I'm sorry to hear that Blissful, my condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I haven't given much thought to the gear I'm taking on my Long Trail E2E in August, figuring it was mid-summer. Average low/high temps in VT during August are 50/75.

But... I've been reading some LT journals and even hikers who are hiking in August make reference to being "cold and wet" and a few "it was nice to get in my warm sleeping bag" comments.

So now I'm wondering... I was planning on just shorts and my ULA rain skirt but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a pair of long pants and some rain pants.... or...

1. shorts, ULA rain skirt
    2. long pants, rain pants
    3. shorts, rain pants

I think a good compromise would be #3... Take only shorts but have a pair of rain pants for rain and to block the wind in cooler weather.

My *preference* would still be shorts and rain skirt though - question is will it be warm enough?
    Yes, no. 3 was my intended gear as well. I'm glad you brought up this concern as it validates the gear I'm taking.

By the way I'm starting NOBO on 8/14 so maybe I'll meet up with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Yes, no. 3 was my intended gear as well. I'm glad you brought up this concern as it validates the gear I'm taking.

By the way I'm starting NOBO on 8/14 so maybe I'll meet up with you.

We will definitely pass each other. I'll be wearing a blue cuben fiber pack - say hi!

The LT is hard to predict. I carried expedition weight long underwear, a hat and a 32-degree bag to sleep in, and I felt like an idiot for the first 120 miles when it was 85-degrees during the day and 70-degrees at night. However, the weather turned colder as I headed north and I spent a couple of nights in the high-30s in August, so I was ultimately very happy to have carried the warm clothing (a hat is a must!).

In general, I found that it was warm enough to hike in shorts in July and August, but during the mornings it might hover around 50 degrees, so you need to keep moving until 10:30 or so. On a couple of days, that meant that I only took 5 or 10 minute breaks in the morning because I started to get chilled. If you are the type that likes to sit around in camp, then you'll need pants for some of the evenings.

I carried rain gear for both of my LT hikes, but didn't really use it either time. In general, when it rains I find that I get less wet from the rain than I get from sweating in my rain gear. However, you do need some mechanism to keep your gear dry so that you can change into warm/dry clothes when you eventually arrive in camp.

Hypothermia is always a risk, but it's mitigated somewhat on the LT by the presence of shelters that enable you to bail out every so often. Shelters are spaced farther apart in the north and south of the trail, but are found about every 5 miles in the middle....

Hi, 10-K, and good luck with your hike. For what it's worth, I section-hiked the AT in Vermont a few years ago. I chose mid-August for the hike because I thought I had the best chance of having good weather. Boy, was I wrong. I got a first week of nothing but rain. Vermont became Vermud. In New England, weather is not very predictable, especially the past few years.

Images

The VT mountains can be very unpredictable I have learned over the years hiking them. It can get surprisingly cool at night up there. I always have a pair of pants, or "tights" at a minimum, to cover my legs.

Images

I was wearing a fleece jacket this morning...in two days it's supposed to be over 90 degrees in Manchester. Love Vermont!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I was wearing a fleece jacket this morning...in two days it's supposed to be over 90 degrees in Manchester. Love Vermont!!!
    65* and sunny the day I come to Manchester Center please...

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

I am leaving late July SOBO, wearing shorts and bringing a pair of mid weight smart wool long johns. No rain pants or wrap. However this thread has me second guessing. I wonder if I should

1. Shorts and mid weight long Johns
    2. Shorts and rain pants.
    3. Shorts, Silk Long Johns and rain pants
    4. Convertible shorts and rain pants

so many options is any one the right one?
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I am leaving late July SOBO, wearing shorts and bringing a pair of mid weight smart wool long johns. No rain pants or wrap. However this thread has me second guessing. I wonder if I should

1. Shorts and mid weight long Johns
    2. Shorts and rain pants.
    3. Shorts, Silk Long Johns and rain pants
    4. Convertible shorts and rain pants

so many options is any one the right one?
    I'm going with #2 but I'll be checking the long range weather forecast before I leave...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++