At the Hurd Brook lean-to (at the northern edge of the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine) a few weekends ago there was a shady character who called himself "Pancake Madness." He talked a lot about setting up a barter system on the trail, checking in with his mother, and Rainbow Gatherings; he had never heard of the AT, Katahdin, or inflatable sleeping pads, and he definitely wasn't outfitted like a hiker (sweatshirt, cargo pants, construction boots, enormous pack). He also seemed to be a pathological liar. In general, he was creepy enough that my traveling buddies and I hiked on, despite the pouring rain and our original plans to stay in the shelter. We ended up staying at the AT lodge in Millinocket that night, where the owners told us that that guy had been kicked out of town the night before (there was an altercation with the local police) and that he had had a rifle in his pack. We ended up talking to the park service about him.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there has seen or heard from this guy? I'm curious about what happened to him.