WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources from Newfound Gap to Hot Springs, NC.

Has anyone hiked this section in the last 2-3 weeks and can give an update on the water sources in this section? How many days did it take to hike this section?

Journal Entries
    Images

Great Section!!! Not sure about the water but if you're in decent shape you can cover @ 10-15 a day & be in Hot Spring in less than 7 days. The northern Smokies is the easier of the 2 sections. I believe Cosby Knob Shelter is closed so you'll have to adjust your schedule so you aren't forced to do a longer day than you're comfortable with. Once out of the park, you can resupply at Stand Bear (may want to call him 1st to make sure he's stocked423-487-0014) or at least send a mail drop there. Then it's wonderful hiking to Hot Springs & you're free to hike as long or as short you want each day. Have a Great Hike!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

2 quart carry was plenty from I-40 to Hot Springs. Get water at the natural brook just before the climb up to Walnut Mt. The water at the shelter is a trickle and a long ways from camp.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd probably cover that section in 5-6 days. Think about tenting atop Max Patch if the weather is good for sunset/sunrise.

You should be able to find water at each GSMNP shelter (I did during a dry October last year). Out of Davenport Gap there's a creek to your right after Green Corner Road, and then a fast-running creek at the next shelter (Groundhog?). From there to Roaring Fork Shelter the water can be a bit hit-or-miss depending on the year. The water source at Walnut Mtn. Shelter was usable but not that great. I actually found a nice spring on the climb up Bluff Mtn. that wasn't marked.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++