WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to stop in NJ / NY

I am planning a hike for next spring with my girlfriend. We are thinking of starting at Delaware Water Gap and going NOBO for about a week before she will head to NYC to fly home. Does anybody have any recommendations about where to spend a night in a town? We were thinking of spending only one night in a town. I have looked at Port Jervis and it looks fine, but if you have any other suggestions, please go ahead.

I really couldn't recommend anything,cause i've never stay in a motel up there,but do have a great hike.

At Culvers Gap there are motels about 2 miles away, I've been to both, neither are flash but the one to the West used to be called the Forest Motel and had a pizza joint across the street.

Unionville is a cool little place but don't think there is lodging these days.

Vernon is probably your best bet.

NJ - MA lack the same caliber of towns you tend to see in the south and New England

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

I don't know if you're coming all the way from Spain for this hike. If you are, you're obvoiusly spending quite a bit of money, and I would assume that you're not looking for some flea-bag motel. There's nothing in Unionville, NY or Sussex, NJ and Port Jervis saw it's best days in 1950. Vernon has a couple real nice (expensive) luxury resorts. Warwick NY is also a nice town with small shops and cafe's. I would avoid Port Jervis, I've lived here forever and don't feel safe there.

High pt,Nj. has a motel nearby.Dropped several thru's off this year.Phone 973-702-1860. I believe they do short shuttles&laundry.This is hearsay,not personal experience.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I haven't stayed at any hotels in NY along the trail. But the guide does mention a couple in Ft. Montgomery. Not sure of what kind of mileage/itinerary you're looking to do so this may or may not be within your schedule. Best of luck!

Images

The hotel at the road crossing at High Point State Park, Route23, is Ok. They will pick you up and drop you off at the park, it is about a mile down a busy road. Very nice guy that runs the place. Old style roadside motel. Nothing fancy for sure. Worked for me one night when I just needed a shower and a bed for a night. There are several places that delivered food there. Very nice property with nice places to sit outside. Sorry I can't remember the name right now, I don't have my book. I think it the same one that snorz is refering to...

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I haven't stayed at any hotels in NY along the trail. But the guide does mention a couple in Ft. Montgomery. Not sure of what kind of mileage/itinerary you're looking to do so this may or may not be within your schedule. Best of luck!

Hi...

Fort Montgomery is a bit of a hike from Port Jervis. Port Jervis is not the dining/entertainment center of the area. Warwick has a few decent eating spots, but am not familiar with its lodging. On the PA side of the Deleware River across from Port Jervis are some decent eating and lodging places.

Images

Greenwood Lake NY has a couple of motels. I stayed at the Breezy Point which is quite a ways from the trail, but there are a couple of taxis in town (I walked it, probably about an extra mile each way). There is a side trail that is well marked and pretty good shape that takes you from the AT right into the town park. The room was fairly expensive and nothing to write home about, but did have a great view of the lake. They also have a very good restaurant on the premises. Good food and a bar. There is also a cheaper motel right in town, can't recall the name. The folks at the Breezy Point were real friendly.

Images

There is also bus service from Greenwood Lake into NYC.

I found Port Jervis pretty barren.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Greenwood Lake NY has a couple of motels. I stayed at the Breezy Point which is quite a ways from the trail, but there are a couple of taxis in town (I walked it, probably about an extra mile each way). There is a side trail that is well marked and pretty good shape that takes you from the AT right into the town park. The room was fairly expensive and nothing to write home about, but did have a great view of the lake. They also have a very good restaurant on the premises. Good food and a bar. There is also a cheaper motel right in town, can't recall the name. The folks at the Breezy Point were real friendly.
    +1 on Greenwood Lake. It's right on the NY/NJ border and there's a great deli in town as well.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    +1 on Greenwood Lake. It's right on the NY/NJ border and there's a great deli in town as well.
    If you stop at Greenwood Lake, check out Ashley's Pizza right in the center of town. Looks like a complete dive but possibly the best pizza my wife and I have ever had, and certainly on the short list.

There is also the Appalachian Motel in Vernon, NJ, at most a mile south of the trail on Route 94. Haven't stayed there personally, but looks like a reasonably priced place.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The church hostel in Vernon is pretty nice. I had it all to myself in December 2009. You can get a cab to pick you up at the trail - quick and cheap and faster than hitching (was for me anyway).

Greenwood Lake was boarded up and pretty much dead when I was there.. I got caught in a snowstorm and had to bail out all the way to Central Valley to get a hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The church hostel in Vernon is pretty nice. I had it all to myself in December 2009. You can get a cab to pick you up at the trail - quick and cheap and faster than hitching (was for me anyway).

Greenwood Lake was boarded up and pretty much dead when I was there.. I got caught in a snowstorm and had to bail out all the way to Central Valley to get a hotel room.
    I had the hostel to myself as well but they were getting ready for some event and I had to sleep in the church itself. On the plus side they were cleaning out the fridges and I got a lot of free food. The pastor used to be a naval finance officer so we had a nice long discussion and he gave me a ride to the trail the next morning.

When I hit Greenwood Lake it was after one of my usual long days and there was only one place open. After not having 2 or 3 things that I wanted the guy offered to just make me something and he hooked me up.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I agree with Stranger "Vernon" is Probably your best bet i didn't spend a night their but i did get resupplied their on my thru in 06 and on my way thru this year seemed like a cool town and i think their is some kind of public transportation their. Happy Trails RED-DOG

On the north end of Greenwood lake there is Antons on the lake.I little pricey,but down pillows and very comfortable.Continental breakfast.There is a blue blaze that drops down to that end of the lake.If you go there,tell them Muskie Bob sent you.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Images

I would call Anton's before walking all the way over there. I tried to call numerous times in May when I was there and only got an answering machine. They never returned my call. When I got into town, I decided to walk over because they seemed very hiker friendly according to the guide book. The main building is obviously being remodeled and appeared to be gutted. The newer building around back seemed like it was being used, but I could find no office. I finally asked some lawn maintenance worker where the office was, he told me to go to room ?? on the second floor. I did, it was locked and there was no answer on the door, only a sign to call the same number I had been calling.

I finally called the Breezy Point, they were very friendly, said yes they had rooms available, and so I walked back around to the opposite side of the lake. The folks were very friendly there, said they had been trying to get a hold of Anton's as well, as there was a hiker coming into town who was expecting a food drop, but he had been unable to get a hold of anyone at Anton's so had called the Breezy Point.

Perhaps I just caught them at a bad time, but I never did get a call from them after leaving a couple of messages. Just a heads up.

Thats a good call Lyle.They are hard to get a hold of and do book fast.Ive stayed there at least 100 times and have always been happy.The breezy is rough compaired to Antons but nice compaired to the trail.Good luck.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

++ New Posts ++