WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Status of Carrabasset Ford?

Sitting in Rangeley taking a zero. Taking off tomorrow (6/29) for Stratton. Should be at the ford on Saturday. Got word yesterday that the river is unpassable due to recent heavy rains. Anyone have any updates?
    Tks.
    Nor'Easter

I have suspicion that given the recent forecast that the water flow will have dropped substantially by Saturday. When you cross Orbeton Stream south of Abraham, that will give you a good idea of what the South Branch Carabasset crossing will be like. The drainage area for the Reddington Valley is fairly small and is drained by three streams (including Orbeton) so the water flow will drop relativly quickly once the rain stops on Friday. If Orbeton is nasty, then it may be a good excuse to take the spur over to Abraham to burn up some hours to allow the flow to drop. There should be some dayhikers on the trail heading up Sugarloaf and bagging Spaulding so you can get some up to date info on the crossing. If all else fails, you can always haed down the Sugarloaf Tractor Road and then hike back up Caribou Valley road to skip the crossing.

Here is the closest USGS gage station I could find http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060 this is well downstream of the crossing but will give you an indication of the what the flow is normally and what it is now. If you see a sharp drop on this gage, the south branch should mirror it.

Awesome info, Peakbagger. Thanks so much.
    N'E

Peakbagger has it right. All hikers are now stationary due to high river flowages and unsafe conditions along all major river flowages throughout the State of Maine. Plan on two more days (Saturday, being "safe") for crossings. Water levels are high and there is no way humanly possible to cross many of Maines rivers. Good reason to pack extra food when hiking the AT in Maine......www.100milewilderness.info

Images

It is good to ask this question. We hosted Miles Davis, our first southbound thruhiker on Jun 26th and he said the Carrabasset Ford was indeed the most treacherous for him.

In August 2006 I seem to recall a wood plank with a wire strapped to a boulder or tree. Guess that is long gone.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Remember the rain that ate 27?

It doesnt change the intent of my post but after the fact I looked and the Reddington Valley appears to be drained by Orbeton Stream and the Caribou Valley is drained by the South Branch of the Carabasset. Therefore the odds are that Orbeton Stream may stop a NOBO before they hit the Carabasset crossing and there really isnt a good way to blue blaze around Orbeton like there is with Carrabasett crossing (by heading down the ski slope and walking up to highway to the AT crossing east of the Crockers or for the hard cores by going back down the Caribou Valley road and picking up the AT on the other side of the Carabasset)

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Remember the rain that ate 27?
    But that was IRENE 2011, this monsoon has no name , yet .......

Looks like water flows here are receding now , slowly, be careful.
    WALK ON

Went through Carrabasset today. No probs.

++ New Posts ++