WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CT section hike August/Sept

Am thinking of completing a section hike through CT northbound via the Appalachian trail station by Pawling, NY. Either last week of August or first week of September.

1) How will the weather and bugs be during that time? Will it be real hot? (I'm from FL and want to get out of the heat).
    2) What degree sleeping bag should I bring?
    3) Where's the best place to get off the trail in Mass. once I cross the state line where I can easily get to mass transportation (bus, train, etc.) if family can't pick me up?

Any other info would be helpful. (I'm aware that the AT train stop only comes on the weekends).

Thx!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    1) How will the weather and bugs be during that time? Will it be real hot? (I'm from FL and want to get out of the heat).
    2) What degree sleeping bag should I bring?
    3) Where's the best place to get off the trail in Mass. once I cross the state line where I can easily get to mass transportation (bus, train, etc.) if family can't pick me up?
    1) Bugs should pretty well be gone by late Aug into Sept, and though you can get up to 95 F in the valleys at that time, it's unlikely. Be prepared for that as well as for lows in the 40s, but don't expect either.
    2) 25 or 20 degree bag should be more than enough.
    3) If you can get a ride, you can get off via the Race Brook Falls Trail or the Elbow Trail to the Berkshire School. If you need to walk all the way to a town, continue on a few miles northeast of Everett and Jug End to Rt. 7 in Sheffield, just south of the Great Barrington town line. G.B. should have plenty of linkups to transit, though I don't know a lot about it specifically as one who always gets there for day hikes via personal car.

Kent and Salisbury are OK for resupply, though a bit pricey. If you can get a ride on 44 east to Canaan, they have a Stop and Shop and a Subway which would be more cost-effective if you like.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Peter Pan buses run from nyc to Williamstown, MA, stopping in Danbury, Torrington, Sheffield, Great Barrington, Pittsfield, and Williamstown, but you'll have to phone the company for the schedule and ticket costs. I can't make the dropdowns show this on http://www.peterpanbus.com but I'm pretty sure the buses run twice a day.

I won't even hazard a guess about the weather. Last year we had Hurricane Irene. If my ankle feels ready, I may test it on the CT section about that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    1) Bugs should pretty well be gone by late Aug into Sept, and though you can get up to 95 F in the valleys at that time, it's unlikely. Be prepared for that as well as for lows in the 40s, but don't expect either.
    2) 25 or 20 degree bag should be more than enough.
    3) If you can get a ride, you can get off via the Race Brook Falls Trail or the Elbow Trail to the Berkshire School. If you need to walk all the way to a town, continue on a few miles northeast of Everett and Jug End to Rt. 7 in Sheffield, just south of the Great Barrington town line. G.B. should have plenty of linkups to transit, though I don't know a lot about it specifically as one who always gets there for day hikes via personal car.

Kent and Salisbury are OK for resupply, though a bit pricey. If you can get a ride on 44 east to Canaan, they have a Stop and Shop and a Subway which would be more cost-effective if you like.
    I'd be fine in my 40 degree bag, but I like it cooler when I sleep. Bring a pair of long johns or light-weight fleece if you are worried.
    I'd hike all the way to Rt 7 in GB, just another day north of Sages Ravine. You'll need to hitch (it's pretty easy) to Great Barrington. Bus from there.
    After Labor Day, you'll pretty much the trail to yourself. Before then, expect to share campsites with several college groups. Some are respectful of their fellow hikers, others aren't.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++