WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have you ever been asked for money on the AT?

ATMilkman gave me the inspiration for this question. It got me to wondering if hikers are routinely hit up for money on the trail by other hikers or what? And if so, how did you handle it? If you have never been asked for money, that would be helpful to know as well.

Images

Been hiking for well over 30 years. Have been asked for a loan a handful of times, only by folks who I knew well. I have also borrowed a few bucks from friends on occasion. Never stiffed anyone, never been stiffed.

I've never been asked for money by strangers.

You already know my take on this, but that's pretty much in the case of a habitual offender. And, just depends on who it is too. I kinda would go on gut feeling also, but my gut has been wrong before and with that said it's never been wrong twice. In the case of something happening to the food I'll buy them a sandwich. (once)
    Last edited by atmilkman; 07-01-2012 at 10:14.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I have read where a well-heeled thruhiker was just chilling on a sidewalk and a passerby offered them money.

At some point I guess there is a fine line between a thru and the homeless.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-30-2012 at 12:46. Reason: 4th-grade spelling error
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have read where a well-healed thruhiker was just chilling on a sidewalk and a passerby offered them money.

At some point I guess there is a fine line between a thru and the homeless.
    This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.
    A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.

In Kent CT, three of us hikers had our entire breakfast bought and paid for by a group of Veterans.

In Leadville Colorado a person handed me 20 bucks in the pizza parlor after overhearing me talk about how my CDT hike was going.

I could go on and on with this..

Even though I never had money problems and i certainly did not solicit money from others, people wanted to give me money.

You refuse twice.. but the third time is bordering on rudeness.

It is very humbling to discover just how generous people really are.

I was never asked for money on any of my hikes, but i did return the good "karma" when i had the chance.

People are awesome.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Journal Entries
    Images

its the age old question between Donation and Entitlement, I prefer to give, and never expect return,

Yes I have given in the past.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Tell them you only carry coins; carry a single SBA Dollar coin for effect. The weight penalty should frighten them away

Images

it happens, but not much. the most was in august SOBO by the NOBO's
    i was just loading kayaks on the van and got asked for money. in my own driveway. told my granddaughter to get a JOB.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Last year on the Blue Ridge parkway in early May an old fellow was parking a van near the trail and hailing hikers to come over and have a soda. He had a big sign on his van about "helping hikers". I could tell this old fellow was a hurtin' puppy... barely keeping body and soul together.

Of course I assumed it was trail magic, so I had a soda. But then he pressured me for money so that he could keep on "helping hikers". I thought what the heck. Gave him $2.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Last year on the Blue Ridge parkway in early May an old fellow was parking a van near the trail and hailing hikers to come over and have a soda. He had a big sign on his van about "helping hikers". I could tell this old fellow was a hurtin' puppy... barely keeping body and soul together.

Of course I assumed it was trail magic, so I had a soda. But then he pressured me for money so that he could keep on "helping hikers". I thought what the heck. Gave him $2.
    That was kind of you. I am sure that there will be places on the trail that if a van suddenly appears with Diet Dr Pepper, I would give him at least that!

Images

Every time I eat at a restraunt, buy food at a store, or stop at a motel. Wish these people realized I was thru-hiking. (just kidding)

Twice I was given money without asking but it was because the funds didn't clear the bank when I thought they would and I had no food at all. People are more generous in the winter because there are less thru hikers like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.
    A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.

In Kent CT, three of us hikers had our entire breakfast bought and paid for by a group of Veterans.

In Leadville Colorado a person handed me 20 bucks in the pizza parlor after overhearing me talk about how my CDT hike was going.

I could go on and on with this..

Even though I never had money problems and i certainly did not solicit money from others, people wanted to give me money.

You refuse twice.. but the third time is bordering on rudeness.

It is very humbling to discover just how generous people really are.

I was never asked for money on any of my hikes, but i did return the good "karma" when i had the chance.

People are awesome.
    I found this to be the most accurate description based on my experiences as well. Only did one thru hike but had money offered unsolicited at least twice, maybe 3 times, and had entire restaurant meals purchased too. They'll still keep pushing it too even after you tell them you're doing fine, have enough money etc. So yes it's rude to refuse a 3rd time.

I also suspect its different for thru hikers because you look a lot more like a homeless person than most section hikers.

I'm starting to think I should carry a sign that says "NOT homeless. Don't need help, but thank you kindly."

The worst offenders were the trail clubs and the ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    You forgot the National Park and the Forest Service, they are usually on your rant list too.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    moldy why is this? please share.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would not call them offenders - Moldy - poor choice of words... IMO.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Carry a few bills of Zimbabwean currency for any moochers.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    it happens, but not much. the most was in august SOBO by the NOBO's
    i was just loading kayaks on the van and got asked for money. in my own driveway. told my granddaughter to get a JOB.
    Oh you got me hook line and sinker on this!,also this I can relate to.

Never on the trail has anyone asked me for money,but for years I was a mark for bumming smokes,there could be 20 peolpe standing around smoking,and the one jones-in always seemed to sus me out,I guess I have that I'll hook you up face-glad I quit smoking though-also give a few bums money,when I was young-but know I'd just put me hands in me pockets and pull out some rabbit ears,and say,"I was just gonna ask you for money too" But yes If I could help someone...I would,to an extent o'coarse.sign Bramble Bush

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++