WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Talking Appalachian Trail ebook - Timberrr!!!

Hi everyone!

Last year I hiked the southern section of the Appalachian Trail. When I got home, I couldn't get the AT out of my mind, so I decided to write a book about it. The result, an ebook called 'Timberrr!!! Or, How I Fell Down The Appalachian Trail' by Amy 'Timber' Hiusser is now available on Amazon (for the Kindle) and Smashwords (for other eReaders and on your computer).

The book has two sections: the first is a trail guide, and the second is my trail journal. The trail guide is basically a preparation guide that covers everything I did to get ready for my trip, as well as flora, fauna, gear, first aid situations, cooking on the trail, and other topics of interest to my fellow hikers. The trail journal section is an edited (i.e. tidied up) version of the daily trail journal I kept on the trail.

Please check it out! Here are the links:

Amazon (for Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7ra2rz3
    Smashwords (other eReaders):http://tinyurl.com/74f34tx

Thanks!

Timber~

Images

As a person without a Kindle, I'd just like to thank you for putting it on SmashWords so I can read it on my ereader. Will look into it more when I'm not on my phone

Free to download...works quite well:

www.amazon.com/KindleForPC

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

theinfamousj: I hope you like it if you decide to buy! I'm not sure how well the formatting translated onto all the different formats (as I only have a Kindle), but if you buy it and find it's really poorly formatted, let me know on this thread and I'll see what I can do about getting you a better copy (for free, of course).

atraildreamer: Thanks for posting the link to the Kindle for PC app. Lots of people don't know it's available, and I'm sure people will find it useful, even if they don't buy my book to read on it!

I bought the book and am reading it now. I actually really enjoyed reading about the various flora and fauna of the AT. I also love nature and animals, so it was a real treat to find all the detail you put into the book. I'm really enjoying it so far. The writing is hilarious, and I feel that we're kindred spirits, so the book is a real joy for me to read. I hope you continue writing about your adventures in the future.
    "Easy to bitch, easy to whine, easy to moan, easy to cry. Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to feel glad to be alive!" - Cowboy Mouth "Easy"

Images

Is this book only available in electronic form?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I just bought the Kindle edition and look forward to reading it.

Images

Thanks for buying! If you find any glaring errors or typos please let me know so I can fix them. If you have time, I'm trying to entice people to review it for me on Amazon, so if there's any chance anyone who buys it could leave even a short review, I would really appreciate it!

Rain Man: Yes, as of now it is only available as an ebook, but I have plans to release a print version at some point in the near future. I have to reformat for print, and it's taking me longer than I expected due to extra shifts at my 'day job'. I will post a link here to the print version when it becomes available.

Bookworm2, I'm glad you like it! Are you planning a hike or already been to the AT? Or still just dreaming at this stage? I don't know when I'll be able to get back to the AT, but you can rest assured that when I do, I'll be writing about it!

I am so excited to be able to share my experiences on the AT with people who will understand the draw of it. When I was planning my hike, I found trail journals to be very useful in planning my trip. I hope anyone who buys mine will find some useful information in both the trail guide and trail journal sections, and hopefully be entertained. As Bookworm2 mentioned, I tried to incorporate humour into the book as well as helpful information. Also, if anyone needs info about anything that I didn't cover in the book, I'd be happy to answer any additional questions here.

I was planning on hiking from Springer Mt. to Damascus in the spring but I had to go and get one of those jobs. Silly things - who needs 'em? Now I'm not really sure when I'll be able to go. Hopefully soon!
    "Easy to bitch, easy to whine, easy to moan, easy to cry. Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to feel glad to be alive!" - Cowboy Mouth "Easy"

what a coincidence. I started the book yesterday but quit before I even finished the sample. Sorry. It did not grab my interest.

Images

Well, you can't please everyone. I guess that's why they have the sampling on Smashwords - so you can check it out before you buy, and if it doesn't suit your fancy you're not out any money.

Thanks for at least giving it a try!

No problem. Glad you take it well. I'm just a GOM (Grumpy Old Man) sometimes. Life get in the way of pure focus on things. Maybe next time. FWIW I could sympathize with your depictions on why you haven't done the trail until you met your hubby and I liked the fact that you got support to go and do it yourself. Not sure I needed to know so early that you had to go off the trail on the first try (before I even found out why).

OTOH - I admire the fact that you did write a book. Great accomplishment. Congrats.

I'm at the 56% mark (no page numbers). Are you willing to answer questions about your journey?

Images

There was a method to my madness for revealing so early that I didn't finish the trail...I didn't want to misrepresent myself saying I hiked the entire thing, have readers buy it thinking they were going to get the entire experience, and then be disappointed to find I went home earlier than planned. I'm glad you could relate to certain aspects, even if you there weren't enough of those aspects to hold your interest.

John B: Absolutely! If you have any questions you don't want to post openly in this thread, you can send me a PM on here, or email me at [email protected]. I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

Did you hike more or did you hike less than Bill Bryson?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Sorry, I forgot the
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

Funny you should ask...Reading Bill Bryson's book was the catalyst that got me thinking about hiking the A.T. As a Canadian, I'd never even heard of the Appalachian Trail before reading A Walk in the Woods. I read his book and thought to myself, "Self, you can SURELY do better than that!"

As it turns out, I was wrong...I did not go as far as Bill Bryson, but unlike Bill Bryson, I still plan on becoming a 2,000 miler. I had a medical reason for going home, but it's not enough to keep me home forever! I plan on picking up where I left off, and continuing my hike northwards. Whether it's in one hike or several, I don't know yet, but the Appalachian Mountains are still calling my name...And I will go!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyJanette View Post
    the Appalachian Mountains are still calling my name...And I will go!
    The call is hard to ignore.

Images

Very true...It was hard to ignore before I went, but now that I've been there not a day goes by that I don't want to go back. It was truly a life-changing experience, even though I only hiked a few hundred kilometres.

There are so many books out there written by people who completed the trail; many hundreds more start and do not finish for one reason or another. My book is more geared to those wishing to go on a journey of self-discovery rather than a marathon of miles every day. When I started out, I intended to hike the entire trail, but I also didn't want to reach the end at the expense of the journey on the way there. I may have redefined my goals along the way, but that doesn't mean I didn't learn just as much about myself or about long distance hiking as those who went the entire distance. I dealt with blisters, bears, and backaches, came home with the same knee problems and longing to return as those who hiked the entire distance. Just because I only hiked until I reached the Smokies doesn't invalidate my book or what I had to say in it.

You never know how far you can go until you try. I tried and went much farther than people who never go. I wrote the book to help people go even farther than that, to share my experiences and my hope that it will help someone go the entire distance if that is what they set out to do. Even if they never reach the end, they accomplished something that many people never accomplish because they never make the time to follow that dream to hike the AT and see how far it takes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Is this book only available in electronic form?

Rain Man

Not after you print it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++