WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Long Trail: Hanging food

Do most people tend to hang their food in the northern section?

I know I won't in the south but guess I'd bring a piece of rope just to keep from being the only guy that didn't hang his food at the shelter should I wind up staying at one.

I always hang, but it's more a precautionary good practice than a necessity. There are black bears all over the northern 2/3s, but you'll rarely see any sign of them. Early spring when there's less available food and fall when they are trying to pack on the hibernation weight are the times they seem to be more bold, but an encounter is possible thruout the hiking season.

Be smart and you'll be fine. I've found that if you practice "bear safe" camping, you'll avoid the porkies, racoons, squirrels and little rodents....which are bigger annoyances than bears.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    I always hang, but it's more a precautionary good practice than a necessity. There are black bears all over the northern 2/3s, but you'll rarely see any sign of them. Early spring when there's less available food and fall when they are trying to pack on the hibernation weight are the times they seem to be more bold, but an encounter is possible thruout the hiking season.

Be smart and you'll be fine. I've found that if you practice "bear safe" camping, you'll avoid the porkies, racoons, squirrels and little rodents....which are bigger annoyances than bears.
    Right... I'm not worrying about me. I just would hate to be the only guy at the shelter who didn't hang his food. I ran into that once at SNP and after everyone hung their food for the evening they kinda looked at me like.. "Aren't you going to hang your food too??"

So I was wondering if it was common practice.

Images

all the cool kids are doing it

Which reminds me.. how many bullets do I need?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Which reminds me.. how many bullets do I need?
    well one for mary ellen for sure.
    i was thinking of just getting an ursak for maine. not worried about bears, just critters.
    when you did maine, were there bear boxes? i usually sleep with my food, but im thinking i might be very alone for the first week or so of august, and id feel a bit more secure hanging or using a box.i find when there are shelters,mice and othr critters have a tendency to stick to the shelters and leave me alone, ive never yet had an issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

B.E.A.R. system for hanging your food bag. If you are interested google "B.E.A.R. bag system"
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

We will be on the LT in August. If our paths cross then you will not be the only one not hanging your food. We do not, however, cook close to where we sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    B.E.A.R. system for hanging your food bag. If you are interested google "B.E.A.R. bag system"

B.E.A.R. system?

Would that be:
    Buy it
    Eat it.
    Ass it.
    Resupply.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    So I was wondering if it was common practice.
    Yeah, most people tenting hang their food. I tend to avoid of shelters, so not sure what the accepted social etiquette is.

I do know the only times I've ever run into a bear on a hiking trail in the New England was at a shelter. One in southern Mass and another in Maine. The one in Maine licked my hiking partners face while he was sleeping. Woke up to the bear and my buddy running full speed in opposite directions. LOL.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do a google on B.E.A.R. system. It is sold for $100 if you care to indulge. I really like it. Although I changed it up and made it lighter by only using the two smaller biners and one other with the pulleys. shortened the line down.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Do a google on B.E.A.R. system. It is sold for $100 if you care to indulge.
    Googling "B.E.A.R System" is a dead end.

Chin - add 'hanging food' and it'll pop up.

Ive been using an OPsak and an ursack minor so far on my LT sobo hike. No hanging my food. Just leave it in my backpack thats usually hanging from a hook on the shelter! If a mouse gets in he sure aint chewing through the bag! Thats if a mouse OR a bear can even smell through the opsak..

may want to hang the Ursack by itself. mice and stuff will chew through just about anything if they do smell it. i try to keep all of my pockets open so they can have open access

B.E.A.R system looks like a lot of extra work for a lot of $$. PCT method is easy, light, cheap.

My plan is just to sleep with my food as I always have. I just was sorta hoping to avoid that awkward moment where everyone but me hangs their food.

I do not plan on staying at shelters if at all possible and am just assuming because of the terrain in the northern half I might be forced to from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    B.E.A.R system looks like a lot of extra work for a lot of $$. PCT method is easy, light, cheap.
    I watched the YouTube video on it and couldn't imagine going through all that work. I will continue to sleep with my food in black bear country (where allowed) and a bear canister for all other areas.

I couldn't watch the whole thing.. i don't know why anyone would want something so complicated. who needs to lift 50-100lbs?? and 1 pound for the whole setup lol.. i think not. I have 2.5mm dyneema cord, metolius mini biner and a stuff sack of some type to put my food in. might add a 3" section of thin pvc pipe to do the no-knot PCT method.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    might add a 3" section of thin pvc pipe to do the no-knot PCT method.
    I liked that idea. Just had a plumber doing some work at the office. Gonna see if I can Bogart a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post

hmmmmmm so if you dont hang your food then food walks up to you.is that like a wilderness meals on wheels program or what. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++