WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need Advice Please - Carter Notch Hut to Gorham, NH in one day

Hello all,

I'm heading up to the Whites on July 11th to finish out the stretch from Crawford Notch to Gorham. Due to various circumstances, I am starting at Pinkham and going to Gorham, then going back to Crawford and ending at Pinkham. My big concern if whether I can make the 15 mile stretch from Carter Notch Hut to Gorham in a day. I have planned to do so, but now am getting somewhat concerned.

Here's some background about me:

41 years old. I'm 40lbs overweight, but I used to be 110lbs. I've lost 70lbs hiking in the past two years. I regularly hike 20 miles a day on the AT in the South, even with 4500ft of elevation gain per day. I guess I'm no spring chicken, but I'm certainly no thru-hiker fit dude either. I know it will be a tough one, but realistically, how hard is it to make this hike in one day? I plan to leave the hut around 7:45am.

Also, hiking in the dark is usually no big deal to me, but don't like fording rivers in the dark, and I hear there are three crossing at the end of the day.

Opinions?
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Images

it's doable. if you're starting to run l.ate when you hit the imp campsite, you can bail out onto thr carter moriah trail which is a more direct route into gorham.

Definitely doable if you aren't carrying the kitchen sink. The climb out of Carter is challenging, but after that you should be on cruise control.

Images

the last 5 miles or so if this stretch is easy, so worst case you slowly stumble your way down it with a headlamp, but it probably wont come to that. up carter dome, over the carters and down north carter is the hard part.

You have 15 hours of daylight to do this hike. If you start out slow and pace yourself, this is not an unreasonable day. The caveats apply that there is minimal water on the ridge. There is water at Trident Col and at Imp Shleter (possibly some after the moriah). This is a real hot time of the year to hike and you need to keep hydrated and keep your electrolytes up. Just water will not work on a hot day, its better than nothing but not much. Nuun tablets or gatoraide powder or some other electrolyte is recomended. There are numerous exits along the ridge but whatever you do dont head east into the wild river as its a long walk out.

The route is very rocky in some places. The hike down Noth Carter is steep and can be damp which makes it slippery.

Thanks everyone for all the info! I'm figuring on a Stony Brook Trail exit if need be (or Carter Moriah).

Speaking of hot time of year... How hot are we talking on average? I just ASSumed it would be cool up there in the Whites, especially at 4000+ ft. Bad assumption? For the Pinkham to Gorham stretch, is it a good idea to still bring cold weather clothing (down vest, gloves, hoodie, etc) this time of year?
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Humbuck View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the info! I'm figuring on a Stony Brook Trail exit if need be (or Carter Moriah).

Speaking of hot time of year... How hot are we talking on average? I just ASSumed it would be cool up there in the Whites, especially at 4000+ ft. Bad assumption? For the Pinkham to Gorham stretch, is it a good idea to still bring cold weather clothing (down vest, gloves, hoodie, etc) this time of year?
    I would watch the mountwashington.org weather observatory forecast and plan accordingly. Most of the time, a fall jacket, sans down, will suffice. But you never know? Checking the MWObs site each day for the week in advance will help you get a better sense of it.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Virginia Tortoise

I just reconned the Carter Moriah Trail where it comes into Gorham for a future hike. It comes out at the dead end of a residential street. You just walk a few blocks out to US2, then a few blocks west (left) to NH16.

Images

you shouldnt need any cold weather gear for the carters, but you might want to add a hat and midweight fleece for the presis.it can get into the 40s at night, even in july.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Humbuck View Post

Here's some background about me:

41 years old. I'm 40lbs overweight, but I used to be 110lbs.
    not sure what this means. i used to be 6lbs7oz, but that was a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    not sure what this means. i used to be 6lbs7oz, but that was a while ago.
    Oh, haha. I see how that's confusing now.

What I meant was that I used to be 110lbs overweight, but now only 40lbs. I just included that in there to help indicate that I've hiked a ton lately, and got into MUCH better shape, but still a hefty 40lbs over "fit".
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Definitely doable. I had never done a 20mi hike before and i did Wildcats to Imp in 8hr and the next day did imp to Gorham down carter/moriah in 5hr. Definitely fill up water for the Carters, there isn't much for streams until you get to Imp. tiny thing at Zeta pass but you'd need a pump or dipping cup and i wouldn't count on it.

i just did the Presi traverse and the most i needed was my lightweight long sleeve merino and my thin rain jacket. and even then i could have been fine with either alone except the wind on washington. what you bring depends on the weather forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Definitely doable. I had never done a 20mi hike before and i did Wildcats to Imp in 8hr
    So, you went from Pinkham Notch to Imp via the AT, which is 13 miles of *very* tough terrain, in 8 hours? If so, cool. That gives me a bit of hope.

I spoke with a shuttle guy (Bruce "Golden Waldo" Feige) and he mentioned thru-hikers usually slack the 15 mile Carter Hut to Gorham stretch in 11 hours. Knowing I'm no comparison to them, it concerned me a bit.
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

That's odd, I have given rides to thru hikers who have done Pinkham to Rattle River trailhead in 12 to 14 hours. The "official AMC book time From Carter Notch to the top of Moriah is 9 hours 20 minutes. Add 3 hr 25 minutes for the Rattle River Trail and 45 minutes from the Kenduskeag trail from the Moriah Summit to the Rattle River trail. Add them all up and that 13 hours 30 minutes total from Carter Notch to Rt 2. Do note that few would "slack" from Carter Notch as the nearest road is 2 hrs and 55 minutes from RT 2. If you were being dropped off for a slack it would be 16 hours and 25 minutes by the book. Most thru hikers are well above book time. Many weekend warriors can beat book consistently but over a long day they tend to slow down.

I expect the 2 hours and 45 minutes hike from RT 2 is why thru hikers add in the wildcats (despite the steep climb up and down).

Woops.. screwed up my math.. 10 hrs I definitely slowed down once i met up with my friends on Carter Dome so i think 8.5-9 is doable and still 5 hr day 2

I left at 6:45, crossed Ellis river, was at Wildcat E at 9, A 10, carter dome noon, Imp at 5. left Imp at 7:30, moriah summit at 9:45 and at Bangor st in gorham by 12:30.

for other reference I just did the full presi traverse in 15.5 hr 24mi or whatever all 11 peaks. 9k elevation..

I'm 62, and did the Carter Dome trail from Rte 16 to Zeta Pass, then the AT to Rte 2 in 10.5 hours last August. About the same mileage, however as mentioned above, the climb out of Carter Pass is very steep, and the last 3-5 miles are a nice gentle down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    That's odd, I have given rides to thru hikers who have done Pinkham to Rattle River trailhead in 12 to 14 hours. The "official AMC book time From Carter Notch to the top of Moriah is 9 hours 20 minutes. Add 3 hr 25 minutes for the Rattle River Trail and 45 minutes from the Kenduskeag trail from the Moriah Summit to the Rattle River trail. Add them all up and that 13 hours 30 minutes total from Carter Notch to Rt 2. Do note that few would "slack" from Carter Notch as the nearest road is 2 hrs and 55 minutes from RT 2. If you were being dropped off for a slack it would be 16 hours and 25 minutes by the book. Most thru hikers are well above book time. Many weekend warriors can beat book consistently but over a long day they tend to slow down.
    Thanks, peakbagger. VERY good info! In speaking with Bruce again, I now realize he meant some thrus do the Pinkham to Rattle River TH in 11 hours, not the stretch from Carter Hut to RR TH.

Last year when I did Kinsman Notch to Crawford Notch, I was over book time every day. I'm now 15 lbs lighter (still 40lbs overweight), but in noticeably better shape cardio wise, so I'm hoping to hit book time this year.
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Quote Originally Posted by Skid. View Post
    I'm 62, and did the Carter Dome trail from Rte 16 to Zeta Pass, then the AT to Rte 2 in 10.5 hours last August. About the same mileage, however as mentioned above, the climb out of Carter Pass is very steep, and the last 3-5 miles are a nice gentle down hill.
    Did you start at Rte 16 on the 19 Mile Brook Trail, then left on the Carter Dome Trail up to Zeta Pass, then AT to Rte 2? If so, that looks to be a bit further than Carter Hut to Rte 2. Carter Notch Hut to Zeta Pass looks to be 2.5 miles, and the path you took looks to be maybe 4.5 miles?

By the way, how is the water reliability to Zeta Pass? I hate to lug a gallon and a half out of Carter Notch, but if I have to, I will.
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

In case anyone is interested in the outcome, on 7/13 I left Carter Notch Hut at 5:45am and made it to Hwy 2 at 5:25pm. I took many breaks, about 2 hours or so in total. Spent some time chillin' on top of Carter Dome and Mt. Height (wow!) and swam for a while in the Rattle River in a pool above the shelter.

Peakbagger: BTW, I'm a bit confused about the 13h 30m book time quoted above for this stretch south to north. Are you sure that's accurate? It's 15 miles with maybe 4000 feet of gain. Shouldn't it be something like 9h 30m?
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Height is pretty sweet.

i don't know where he got those numbers.. AMC book has Carter-moriah trail 6:35 to moriah summit (take off a few mins if you skip that) switch to Kenduskeag trail for 45 minutes to Rattle river Trail.. 3.5hr to Rt 2 so that's like 10hr and change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++