WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Snakes at night

Default Snakes at night

Im curious about night hiking with all this heat, what about snakes? what are your experiences?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fungi601 View Post
    Im curious about night hiking with all this heat, what about snakes? what are your experiences?
    They're out there. You just need to be at the right place at the wrong time.

All I've seen this year so far are black snakes. However, I took the Temple Hill Trail up to the AT at dusk Saturday evening and that trail is unmaintained, rocky, and has lots of deadfall on it. I got a big ol' stick and beat the ground in front of me all the way to the AT (about a mile).

You are more likely to get 10-K to hike with a 30 pound pack that you are to ger by a snake on the AT at night.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

ok so typo GET
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You are more likely to get 10-K to hike with a 30 pound pack that you are to ger by a snake on the AT at night.
    I was waiting on you to hit this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I was waiting on you to hit this thread.
    I couldn't type fast enough to beat you to it.

You need to send me your Long Trail mail drop list, so I can send you a surprise.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fungi601 View Post
    what are your experiences?
    RARELY see them during the day (it's a TREAT when I do), and have NEVER seen one at night.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

They hear you vibrations, and move away before you see them, Personally i have only seen one venamous snake on the AT and it was at Kirkridge Shelter in PA, A Rattle Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    RARELY see them during the day (it's a TREAT when I do), and have NEVER seen one at night.

RainMan

You nver see them at night because they fly at night. This is a little known fact because humans don't like to be out at night. the worst is the when they become tangled in your hair while night hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    You nver see them at night because they fly at night. This is a little known fact because humans don't like to be out at night. the worst is the when they become tangled in your hair while night hiking
    That's a terrible rumor to spread. Everyone knows they only fly at dusk and dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    the worst is the when they become tangled in your hair while night hiking
    That's why I keep my pony tail tucked under my cap, so I can tell when it's a snake and not my hair.

Journal Entries
    Images

Once again lets post our fears..and Winged Monkeys......oh crap what a great trail name...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

People that starts these threads are looking for Educated and informed advice with exsperience not "Smart A$$ remarks" if you can't don't post.

Images

I've seen timber rattlers in harriman state park on numerous occasions.
    but never at night. but I don't look up

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Once again lets post our fears..and Winged Monkeys......oh crap what a great trail name...
    I was portaging a canoe across a bit of dry land years ago, after I had carried the canoe I was carrying the most important part of any paddlers gear, the beer cooler.

With both hands full on a narrow game path a snake crossed from bushes on my right, up my arm across my shoulder and down my left arm to the bushes there.

I didn't drop the cooler, I walked another 20 feet to a clearing and sat down and laughed my butt off.

Not sure there was ever any fear.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    People that starts these threads are looking for Educated and informed advice with exsperience not "Smart A$$ remarks" if you can't don't post.
    This from someone who's most educated post ever is that Maine is dangerous when it rains, but I say go ahead and post all you want.

Journal Entries
    Images

Red Dog you are a newbie, it was never intended to be a Jack ass remark. You don't know me and my heart is in the right place..lets chalk it up to being different on a simple issue.

WHOH WM - wait... I was refering to how cool you are...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-03-2012 at 19:27.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

They hear you vibrations, and move away before you see them, Personally i have only seen one venamous snake on the AT and it was at Kirkridge Shelter in PA, A Rattle Snake.
    I too hike with a wooden staff (that's the one between stick and a Shepperd's hook),and while hiking trough the PA rocks I'd bounce the end and allow it to come to rest each time I'd place it,got into a pretty good rhythm with it,and my staff(which I'm now gonna change the name to stick, it just sounds better) I noticed has very good tonal qualities, very soft and smooth, Sassafras. So no I haven't seen any snakes during the day anyway, but I'd just go slow in suspect areas,(rocks)think stick like shapes or dark circles as a way to focus the eye at night.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-03-2012 at 19:28.

Images

thank you for telling us about your staff.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    thank you for telling us about your staff.
    Yep,it is a good staff,but that just sounds weirdoish, so from heether after it shall beith ka known as me schtick.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++