WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AT Death Rate

Images

Default AT Death Rate

The boys body being found down river, is certainly an unfortunate turn of events. My hiking family will have prayers for his family.
    I have been on this site for less than a year, and the main stream news does not cover every death that takes place on the east coast. So I need to know, all these deaths since the hiking season has started, is this normal, are there more this year...less?

The short answer to your question is I don't know. But we're more likely to hear of news like this because of the internet. Consider that WB has 41,000 members so that the entire corridor of the AT and then some is covered. Incidents that only make the local news are picked up by one of the 41K and reported here. You didn't have that capability 10 years ago, let along 30 years ago.

Let's sure hope not....prayers to the family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The short answer to your question is I don't know. But we're more likely to hear of news like this because of the internet. Consider that WB has 41,000 members so that the entire corridor of the AT and then some is covered. Incidents that only make the local news are picked up by one of the 41K and reported here. You didn't have that capability 10 years ago, let along 30 years ago.
    Exactly what promps my question. This membership/readership would have that collective knowlege and memory.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Exactly what promps my question. This membership/readership would have that collective knowlege and memory.
    Yes I see what your saying Coach, I've heard some speak to the trends here at WB, and how each winter/early spring readership/writership picks up.And many here can remember back decades to bring to light many historical events, maybe this question will get some attention over time as more people see it.Maybe we just keep bumping it for a period of time.

Images

The boys body being found down river, is certainly an unfortunate turn of events. My hiking family will have prayers for his family.
    I have been on this site for less than a year, and the main stream news does not cover every death that takes place on the east coast. So I need to know, all these deaths since the hiking season has started, is this normal, are there more this year...less?
    were goingtobe just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    were goingtobe just fine.
    heck yeah,your with lucky Lou,and sarcasm too.

Images

... So I need to know....
    Just curious, what is your need? Or, did you mean want to know?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Rain Man, I've only been on trailsites since 1997. At that time there were only about six or seven on/near the trail deaths that people talked about. It seems to me that the number of deaths/assaults have grown tremendously. If I want to know what has happened "this time," I go to WhiteBlaze.com. Sometimes that leads to the local media. Often our very thoughtful posters give links to local newspapers or television stations. Without being morbid or crazy for sensationalism, I think we have a need to know. We, our families, our friends go out there. If there is something going on beyond the natural hazards, we should be aware.-Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Just curious, what is your need? Or, did you mean want to know?

Rain Man

You are correct, I would like to know, I do not need to Know, but the same can be said for many questions asked here. SawnieR makes valid points that I wasn't even thinking.

Images

important point for all of us, there is almost always a lesson to be learned, so it is good to find out the circumstances of any death, accident or rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Rain Man, I've only been on trailsites since 1997. At that time there were only about six or seven on/near the trail deaths that people talked about. It seems to me that the number of deaths/assaults have grown tremendously.... -Kinnickinic
    When I joined WB in 2005, there were less than 10,000 members. I suspect in 1997 that whatever similar sites preceded WB had much less. Less people online=less sources for local news in the trail environment.

Images

The ATC estimates that a couple million people hike on the AT every year. Not surprising that there are several deaths every year. Some natural causes; some accidental; some deliberate. Whiteblaze is very efficient in spreading the news for all of them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Yesterday I spent some time re-reading very old news about murders and death on the AT, one of the "snippets" was on someones personal web page whining that ATC and other AT groups do not track the deaths or trail town incidents at all. Making this a very difficult call to best answer your question... Oh what was I doing? - the answer is in the Gallery under "in memorial"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

hat off head bowed in respect to surviving family and friends

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Without being morbid or crazy for sensationalism, I think we have a need to know. We, our families, our friends go out there. If there is something going on beyond the natural hazards, we should be aware.-Kinnickinic
    This thread seems extremely morbid and inappropriate to me.

How would one find out about a hiker that has been injured or worse? Is there a list of hospitals up and down the trail that could be searched? Other than posting in searching for a hiker where would one look? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
    How would one find out about a hiker that has been injured or worse? Is there a list of hospitals up and down the trail that could be searched? Other than posting in searching for a hiker where would one look? Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    If you have some idea of where your hiker is (Tennessee? New York?) you can contact the local trail maintaining club to see if they have any information. You can call the ATC to see if they have any information. The ATC website has their contact information, as well as links to the clubs along the Trail.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

The deaths and injuries due to accidents or individual health issues dont really give me cause for concern. Its tragic, and we should learn what we can from them, but thats that.

Those caused by crime, pathogens, or wildlife are more cause for concern. I.e. those risk factors somewhat outside of our control.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    If you have some idea of where your hiker is (Tennessee? New York?) you can contact the local trail maintaining club to see if they have any information. You can call the ATC to see if they have any information. The ATC website has their contact information, as well as links to the clubs along the Trail.
    Thank you so much for this information Marta!! I also posted in the "looking for a hiker" section. Hopefully either someone will have some news or he will contact me soon. My brother, Animal was last seen in Harpers Ferry June 21st. He called me just before he was to hit the trail again. We sent a mail drop that should have been claimed already but has not. I called several hostils to see if he made it there knowing if he had he would have already called me but I had to try. I posted a you tube video another hiker made that my brother happened to be in incase anyone has any info. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-C_RcJde_M

I know he will call me if he can and I know he was counting on that package. Its been 16 days since we last talked which is longer than normal. I know there have been bad storms in the area so im still hopeful that he just got delayed in his travels. Yet im still concerned. Thank you again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++