WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
    My friend and I stayed with Hudson and his wife, Big Lou (Lu?), twice and I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed our time there. ...
    That's a great report, Rockie. Hope you're OK after your fall - the north side of Bear is quite tough, it and its neighboring Taconics are a nice preview of the Whites. Sounds like Bearded Woods is a winner. Nice complement to Maria McCabe.

PS: Take it gingerly descending from the summit of Race, too. I almost fell a couple times scrambling down it myself yesterday, and I'd been there twice before. After the first main scramble, it's mostly easier, though there are a few other tricky spots to look out for.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Thanks Driver8. Mostly I've recovered, with the exception of my left elbow and that injury makes is impossible to use my trekking poles. I'm going to head back to NJ for a few days and see a doctor. I think the problem is that I'm such a slow hiker and become impatient at times, particularly on steep descents. That causes me to be careless and probably what lead to my fall, though it happened so quickly I can't be sure. Hopefully, I'll be back on the trail soon.
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

Images

Having gotten through Connecticut, less a quarter mile, by the time you did, Rockie, you're not slow. Patience on the tough descents is a major test of hiking, no doubt. Took all the concentration I could muster to get down Mt. Washington safely the three times I've attempted it, the most recent one successfully. Took iron concentration, for sure.

Images

PS: Hope you recover quickly and get back out on trail. You might want to start at Katahdin and work south to get the better of the weather, given your interruption. It would be cool to finish your thru at Bear Mountain's north end, fast by the CT/Mass border.

OMG, Bearded Woods for SURE!! Call Hudson or Big Lu at (860)480-2966 I could not have asked for a better experience! Was doing all of Conn as a section hiker and heard a lot of good things. I ended up staying with a Thru Hiker friend and it was incredible. Hudson and Lu were very welcoming, the hostel was amazing. Cleaner than a hotel, tons of interesting stories, great food (Portions and home made deliciousness!!), and one of the best nights on the AT to date!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++