WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Default Any One Going SOBO???

I know most people hike the LT NOBO but I am going SOBO. Any one else this summer leaving late July early August SOBO on the LT. I'll be leaving the last week in July and curious to see who I may run into in the Northern section. 3 Weeks away.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

stranger and I will be heading south on August first

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    stranger and I will be heading south on August first
    Ill be a few days in front of you but looking forward to seeing you out on the trail ....Ill be logging in as lazy river road
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm looking at early Sept after my job ends, will have to see how that works out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Starting SOBO E2E August 3rd....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Starting SOBO E2E August 3rd....
    Awesome, Ill have a couple days on you as well my first trail day is July 29th.

The days are starting to roll by, and I feel like every day I make different decisions on what gear I do or do not want to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I'm looking at early Sept after my job ends, will have to see how that works out.
    Hope you make it out. I did a piece of the Southern section a few years ago and its a majestic trail

I'll be doing SOBO e2e starting August 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Awesome, Ill have a couple days on you as well my first trail day is July 29th.

The days are starting to roll by, and I feel like every day I make different decisions on what gear I do or do not want to bring.
    I keep getting small things of food. and mostly have to stop adding small accessory type things

I'm starting SOBO on the 18th... four days away! Weather forecast looks surprisingly un-rainy compared to what I'm used to in Vermont, so I'll cross my fingers and hope it doesn't spring a surprise hurricane on me. Happy trails!

I'm looking at SOBO mid-late September. First backpacking trip over 4-5 days

I absolutely cannot wait.

Just five days away before I leave for N. Troy am I ever getting so excited. The closer it comes the more indecisive about what clothing and gear I want to bring. I just want to leave already so I have to make a decision.

Just five days away before I leave for N. Troy am I ever getting so excited. The closer it comes the more indecisive about what clothing and gear I want to bring. I just want to leave already so I have to make a decision.
    I'm going back and forth on the rain pants vs. rain skirt and am now leaning towards the rain skirt.

That'll mean no long pants but I'll have a wool cap that'll cover my ears and my Mont Bell Thermowrap so I can keep my core warm if temps dip. I'm generally comfortable hiking with shorts in the mid 40's and up.

Other than that I'm dialed in and am fussing over resupply.

10 days.

I'm going back and forth on the rain pants vs. rain skirt and am now leaning towards the rain skirt.

That'll mean no long pants but I'll have a wool cap that'll cover my ears and my Mont Bell Thermowrap so I can keep my core warm if temps dip. I'm generally comfortable hiking with shorts in the mid 40's and up.

Other than that I'm dialed in and am fussing over resupply.

10 days.
    Yeah I'm fussing over a few clothing items and which hammock I want to bring. I'm really trying to keep my base weight under 8lbs without being stupid light. It's really between a micro weight smart wool long sleeve T and Long Johns or Silk Long Sleeve and Silk Long Johns. I am bringing a black rock vest for my core so that should keep me warm. And I've hiked in short and short sleeves in the upper twenties in the middle of December when their is snow on the ground. If I am hiking and I am cold well I just try and hike faster . A cuben fiber rain jacket which is a VB and decided to bring no rain gear for my bottom half.

Humm, the LT can get quite overgrown and brushy on the northern end, so I always wear long pants. The other option is long gaiters. It looks like it shouldn't rain much, other then the occasional scattered afternoon T-storms. I'm going to bring a poncho for those. Unlike the rest of the country, the weather should stay comfortable - warm durring the day and chilly at night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Humm, the LT can get quite overgrown and brushy on the northern end, so I always wear long pants. The other option is long gaiters. It looks like it shouldn't rain much, other then the occasional scattered afternoon T-storms. I'm going to bring a poncho for those. Unlike the rest of the country, the weather should stay comfortable - warm durring the day and chilly at night.
    It can't be worse that the 51 mile section of the Mountains to Sea trail I just hiked. It thunderstormed and rained the whole time and I swear we could have been on a movie set for a VietNam war movie - weeds and brush waist high for long, long stretches. Even now my legs look like I've been running through a briar patch.

36 hours to go before I leave my house and start the drive up to VT.

Journal Entries
    Images

It can't be worse that the 51 mile section of the Mountains to Sea trail I just hiked. It thunderstormed and rained the whole time and I swear we could have been on a movie set for a VietNam war movie - weeds and brush waist high for long, long stretches. Even now my legs look like I've been running through a briar patch.
    Hope you checked for ticks...

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

36 hours to go before I leave my house and start the drive up to VT.
    Have a good one...

Hiking Blog

++ New Posts ++