WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Springer Mountain parking lot...Car vandalized...

I did a section hike this past week and last Saturday my girlfriend dropped me off at the parking lot that is about a mile from the summit of springer. We saw a burgandy hyandi sedan in the parking lot that had it's rear window busted in. The car looked as though it was vandalized by a human that attempted to make it look like a bear did it.

I just wanted to post an FYI for anyone who is hiking who might know who owns the vehicle. It appears to have been there for a while, at least over a month it seems.

Images

Default Pic of the car...

Pick of the car...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

I was up there and seen it as well. I talk a shuttle driver about it, he stated the hail busted the windows out and a bear pulled the foam out of the seats. It look like there was a cooler in the back seat what was left of it.HS

Images

I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that. Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

CD's looked plummaged in the console as well, I doubt a bear would life the console and shift through CDs as well as lifing up the floorboard carpet.

It looked vandalized by a human to me. However I am no expert, just a concerned hiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that. Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

CD's looked plummaged in the console as well, I doubt a bear would life the console and shift through CDs as well as lifing up the floorboard carpet.

It looked vandalized by a human to me. However I am no expert, just a concerned hiker.

I understand,Im just passing on the word...

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that.

Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

Hail (sp) does break out windows, esp. rear windows that are not as strong as windshields, and both windshields and rear windows on lots of vehicles are more slanted and therefore more susceptible to breakage. BTW there was a strong storm that went through the mountains recently that did lots of damage and had possible hail.

It's possible a bear went in after but they don't normally break rear windows. They pull on cracked windows or gaps around the door.

downsized_0602000910a.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Good point Sly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thats the shame - insurance will cover some of it. Wish you had taken the time to blur the license though.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Thats the shame - insurance will cover some of it. Wish you had taken the time to blur the license though.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Why?
    The car belongs to a guy from Ohio know as Flash. He was a missing person in February but according to the Jefferson County Ohio Sherrif's office he has been found. Sounds like the car is abandoned at this point. I left his real name out of this post.

Journal Entries
    Images

Did someone report it? It crossed my mine but I was thinking someone had reported it

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Did someone report it? It crossed my mine but I was thinking someone had reported it
    I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I didn't
    You gonna get hate mail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You gonna get hate mail.
    No he won't. He's smart; keeps his mail box full.

I strongly suspect it was weather related or bear related in origin. Most people breaking into a car to steal break a door window so they can unlock the car and gain easy access vice climbing in awkwardly from a rear window.

Update -
    I just received a call from the Jefferson County Sherrifs department. He is still missing. His name is Brett Gordon a.k.a. Flash. He has been missing since February. His picture and contact info is on the link.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/M...ersonsDatabase

That car was there in the same condition, when I starrted my section hike on June 16th. Our shuttle driver told us that they saw it there 2 weeks prior to our arrival.

Journal Entries
    Images

Why Not? - And rastraikis proved the point because great skill in figuring out who it belongs too. (Major Kudo's) Take a little time and edit in a free photo editor.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I'm curious too why you feel it's necessary to blur the license plate image? It's not like it's blurred when driving down the street or parked. Anyone can see it.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++