WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Excessive graffiti by thru hiker Chopsticks. How to report him & get him off trail?

The title says it all. Chopsticks is tagging EVERYTHING out here. Signs, fence posts, shelters, and tables. Natural spots like rocks, trees, and even beauty spots like Angel's Rest.

It drives me mad when I see it and I've collected a number of photos of it all. Is there someone who we can report him to so we can get this crud to stop?

I tried catching up to him but injuries are keeping me back. He's probably in PA right now.

Help!

Master Splinter & Bruce

You could do some yellow blazen, and lay in wait.

Contact the ATC folks in Harpers Ferry. Info for them should be in your trail guide.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well you came to the right place - but how are you implicating CS? what does the tag look like and provide more detail
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You might have to wait until Monday when the ATC staff has recovered from the holiday/storm time off. Then threaten them that you will write your Senator and Congressman because the issue is important to you, send them email after email to remind them. If they don't respond within two days then start a petition.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

It would suck to have the same trail name as this guy.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I can't post pictures from my phone but if somebody wants a buttload just give me your email address. Maybe you can post them for us. Also it may be hard for me to call when they're open as I'm not sure I'll have reception, but I'll try. If someone else wants to help report him that would be great.

He tags as "<hopsticks 2012" or "<hopsticks race against time 2012" or "<'12" most the time with the < being made to look like chopsticks and replace the c.

I haven't met him but he's been described to me as an ex military guy in his 30's with tattoos and a fairly big knife. I'm not the only one out here that's tired of his shenanigans. I wish I could catch up to him and give him a piece of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    The title says it all. Chopsticks is tagging EVERYTHING out here. Signs, fence posts, shelters, and tables. Natural spots like rocks, trees, and even beauty spots like Angel's Rest.

It drives me mad when I see it and I've collected a number of photos of it all. Is there someone who we can report him to so we can get this crud to stop?

I tried catching up to him but injuries are keeping me back. He's probably in PA right now.

Help!

Master Splinter & Bruce
    happens every year. nothing can or will be done

Presumably what he's doing is illegal and that means that some sort of penalty is in place for it. Whether or not something is done is a different matter, but something can be done.

I'm not saying something WILL happen, but something could potentially happen. Even if enforcement of these laws is zilch. At the very least we can try to get enough hikers to ask him to stop and let him know how upsetting it is that he changes his behavior.

If we all accept that defeatist attitude however, nothing will happen.

My email address is [email protected]

If you want to email you the pictures contact me.

Images

"Cubby '08" what did they do to him?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    "Cubby '08" what did they do to him?
    made him a star

graffitti in shelters ain't a big deal

Journal Entries
    Images

Well this is a "loosing moment" - done.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I would also report him to the ATC and ask that they report him to the police as well. They may carry more weight, but it wouldn't hurt to have several people report him. Laurie's email is [email protected]. A few photos to her email wouldn't hurt. I would also contact the USFS via email and include photos as well.

Even though tagging has gone on forever, the climate has changed about what will be tolerated. Remember how people used to throw their trash out from cars all the time? Never happens now (or at least not in my area). Fines are too steep. Chopsticks needs a hefty fine and some good old community service - like retracing his steps to remove his handiwork!

Nick, to your knowledge has anyone asked him to stop?

There's one or two knuckleheads every year.
    A northbounder named Superman was tagging everything in sight, and even carved his name into the Baxter Peak summit sign last year or the year before.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

it's a non-issue. much ado over nothing

Emails are being sent. You can also view them on instagram.

Username: nickandbruce

Oh, and I don't know of anyone saying anything to him but I know a lot of people plan on it.

Fun fact, he almost never signs shelter logs or trail logs so he's kinda tough to track.

Images

Like Lone Wolf "said".. it is up to current year hikers to administer justice. Forget the police and NPS.
    In parallel, it has been said that on the PCT a hiker named Hollywood has defaced the door of the Muir Hut this year.
    Before you say "so what?" let me add that there are just half a dozen shelter on the PCT in 2,654 miles.
    Still you say "so what?"
    Here is a picture of the Muir hut taken before defacement:
    Pacific Crest Trail 2009 477.jpg

Can we agree that after viewing this picture you think the Muir Hut is "somewhat" special and a unique case of "DO NOT F-ING TAG"?
    In 2009 we had a hiker named By-the-Book on the PCT.
    This Jackass berated grocerystore employees on more than one occasion making ALL thru hikers look bad in the process.
    I made the HUGE mistake of NOT kicking that guys ass on the spot.
    Don't be me..
    While i normally wouldn't advocate violence, we inherit the mistakes and stupidity of those before us...
    As soon as you have the chance (like out on the trail in the dark), kick that wrong-doing hikers ass.
    At the very least:
    If you see a hiker doing wrong.. call them out.
    It reflects badly upon us and every hiker that follows in our footsteps.
    We all make mistakes, but to willingly do wrong deserves a swift kick in the ass.

PS. Notice that as of 2009 ,when this picture was taken, there is not one single tag on that door... until now
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 07-08-2012 at 01:22.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++