WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Hiking Alone...

I am replying to you because by your icon, I believe you are a female. This particular thread interested me because I am a 50 year old female who plans to thru hike when my kids graduate from college. Until then, I am working on hiking a little at a time - this spring I plan to hike a week in VA. I plan to hike solo mainly because no one wants to go with me (its not me, its the hike Any words of wisdom aside from the original poster? I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!

I think I may have posted this as a private message and I didn't mean too - sorry!
    This particular thread interested me because I am a 50 year old female who plans to thru hike when my kids graduate from college. Until then, I am working on hiking a little at a time - this spring I plan to hike a week in VA. I plan to hike solo mainly because no one wants to go with me (its not me, its the hike Any words of wisdom aside from the original poster? I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!

I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!! [/QUOTE]

Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.

Journal Entries

You both hike at your own paces. You will be separated and alone anyway much of the time. Your partner will be 1-10 min in front of you, or behind you. You will meet up again when you stop for breaks every hr or so.

Its better this way anyway. The trail is rarely more than a single-track. Staring at your partners butt all day isnt quite as enjoyable as being by yourself and looking around at scenery.

Journal Entries

If you are hiking in the spring, don't worry, you will never be alone. The trail is full of hikers. In the fall, it is much different. The other worries are all mentioned in the different replies.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!
    Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.[/QUOTE]

Just start hiking there are so many people out there you will find some as you hike that you like. Get in or near the bubble and you will find some hikers that you like. Then just hike. Hike On!!!

Miller
    ILMT

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.
    Just start hiking there are so many people out there you will find some as you hike that you like. Get in or near the bubble and you will find some hikers that you like. Then just hike. Hike On!!!

Many Moons- if you are addressing oneoldgoat's comment then I think you didn't understand what she was saying... she isn't talking about wanting a hiking partner for a thru-hike. If that was the case, I would have given her the same advise as you did. She is talking about section hiking & her first time out. She wants a hiking partner for her first experience out on the trail. She is planning a spring hike and would love a partner for that. It's hard to understand what people are asking on here, sometimes... no prob....

Miller
    ILMT[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You both hike at your own paces. You will be separated and alone anyway much of the time. Your partner will be 1-10 min in front of you, or behind you. You will meet up again when you stop for breaks every hr or so.

Its better this way anyway. The trail is rarely more than a single-track. Staring at your partners butt all day isnt quite as enjoyable as being by yourself and looking around at scenery.
    Depends who your partner is

Seriously though that is a good point. Think of being with someone on a long train or car trip. With a best friend that you have not seen in years, you can fill the entire time in conversation. With most other people however you have long awkward silence between occasional chit-chat.

Images

Old thread I know, but need to respond. I love hiking alone. I also lived by myself for many years. I think it is a life skill some never acquire. The ability to sit in your own *****, deal with it, clean yourself off, and stay positive, is something that applies to many facets of life. I also like hiking with a buddy, a small group, or my class of 30 students.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++