WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Status Port Clinton to Rt 183 (Section #5) PA

Does anyone have any information on the water status of this particular section? Me and a few other hiked this section last year around this date, planned on staying the night, but when we ran out of water and found every srping dry, had to emergency hike out the next day. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any insight as to how the srpings are doing now as we plan on doing an overnight trip this Friday to Saturday (possible Sunday).

BTW, this is my first post, I've been lurking around for awhile; this is a great community! Thanks!

Images

Do not rely upon finding water near the A.T. on the section specified at this time of year. The only reliable water is well down Sand Spring Trail and at both ends of this section.

Stay at Port Clinton or Hamburg and/or camp on NPS A.T. corridor tracts at PA-183 where water can be obtained. All other options involve packing water and an A.T. map is desirable.

Summer camping on State Game Lands 110 requires packing water from Sand Spring or Northkill Creek springs along Sand Spring Trail. Eagles Nest Shelter on Weiser SF and the upper spring where the A.T. crosses Sand Spring Trail on SGL 110 are more often than not dry in summer. The upper spring's wall is in disrepair and hasn't retained water for many years.

The most convenient place to camp on SGL 110 is somewhere near where the A.T. crosses Sand Spring Trail, but it may a challenge to locate a suitable place to set up a tent or tarp. Please don't camp at the obvious, but illegal location near the upper spring and remember only Appalachian Trail through hikers may camp on SGL and then only within 200 feet of the A.T. 500 or more feet from water or roads.

Appalachian Trail enthusiasts unfamiliar with Pennsylvania's State Game Lands, their history and management must understand the term through hiker as defined by PA Code means something other than it means to many if not most hikers. The applicable PA Code has been linked before and may be found by referring to Rausch Gap Shelter thread.

Images

Since I no longer visit WhiteBlaze regularly, I missed the opportunity to reply in a timely manner. Although my previous post is likely too late to be useful to the individual(s) requesting information, it may prove useful to others.

Don't know the name of it, but I've never seen the spring dry that is on the dirt road, about 3 miles north (east) of 183 on the Berks county side of the road.
    Also, when the AT crosses a small (dirt) road about 1 mile north (east) of Eagles Nest shelter, (where there is an AT sign) you can turn left down the trail there and go down the mtn easily all the way to my mechanic's house at the bottom where there is a good creek that never runs dry.
    You will find water before you get to his house.
    I often walk up to the AT from his place when he is working on my car. Last year, it took me 45 minutes to get up to the top.

So, I wouldn't cancel a trip just because the top of the mtn. is dry.
    Camel up before you start.
    Plan on sleeping out at Eagles nest shelter, where there should be water.
    And if not, go back to that last road crossing (with the AT sign) and turn north (Schuylkill county side) and go down to find water.

My 2 cents.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

++ New Posts ++