WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Only if you buy the$150 carrying case and $200 extended warranty.easy payment terms.
    But you gotta buy now, cause we can't do this all day.

Images

5 bullets ,a hammock,and a sawyer in line water filter,and that's all i need.
    forgot sea salt.duh.

forgot sea salt.duh.
    Is that for salting the filter rim?

Images

There's many benefits of sea salt as part of a complete system consisting of 5 bullets,a hammock and a SAWYER. IN LINE WATER FILTER.
    just too many to list.

There's many benefits of sea salt as part of a complete system consisting of 5 bullets,a hammock and a SAWYER. IN LINE WATER FILTER.
    just too many to list.
    The pit falls of taking a few hours off WB and then running to catch up. hehehe, I'll wait for the sequal.

This post is not intended to be directed at anyone on this thread.

I've only been here a short while. And while I have enjoyed the company of several benevolant hikers who are very helpful, I've noticed already if you ask a specific question that requires concrete answers with examples based on personal experience, you still get off question philosophy that in some cases (not all) seems designed to negate your question or dismiss/ridicule your hike. If you have no experience with a piece of gear for which the thread is inquiring, why do you even respond? If you don't know how I intend to use a piece of gear, or maybe you couldn't retain all I wrote at one time, what are you using as a basis to criticize my interest in such an item--your hike? If the gear doesn't seem a viable solution for your hike--DON'T USE IT! If you don't have experience with the gear, I'm not asking you about it.

Degreed in engineering, analysis is just my nature. I'm accustomed to gathering data and coming to a conclusion. What kind of answer starts off with "You can over analyze"? and words like "duh".

I would ask such a smart aleck poster these questions but didn't because I already know these people have no conscience: Did my analytical nature disturb you? Did it remind you of the honor roll student in high school you couldn't measure up to, who may have snubbed you and made you feel inferior? Perhaps you felt abandoned by your father's displeasure because your grades couldn't elicit his praise? Does my verbal eloquence or analytical sophistication remind you of a similar painful event in your life, or did you come into the thread with a pre-existent pathology to set before me and have me step in so you could enjoy watching my disgust and the displeasure of having to scrape it off my shoe?

In another forum, a guys asks for a cheap low weight headlamp for camp use and predawn hiking, and someone responds that he sees no need for light--HIS hike is designed around natural light, he says. Then he offers what he uses: a one LED light with enough battery for 3-4 hours of above 50% intensity light which is more suited for his "just in case I need a light" hike than the hike of the guy who asked. The hiker who asked the question doesn't want to hike your hike, mister. Stop the pretense of being so smart and helpful and actually help the guy out. Your strategy for light is going to cost him $120 in batteries when he only needs to spend $12.

I ask for specific examples of shoe durability so I can approximate a budget and determine how many shoes I might need, and I get "the shoe matters little". Here we have a 66 year old hiker with loads of examples that could help me gauge durability of classes of shoes, and his smart aleck response is to dismiss my inquiry and get the insole he uses, as if my question didn't exist or I was even stupid for asking the question in the first place. When I redirected him to the nature of the question and how helpful he could be in that regard, no response. He had no intention of helping me, just using my question as an opportunity to dismiss it with his own superior philosophy and what matters to him.

There isn't that much difference between these types of smart aleck responses and the behavior of those two guys in the blue car in PA who dumped fuel on a hiker and lit him on fire. There was a verbal provocation for a pre-planned assault. The violence is differentiated only by its physically or psychologically destructive nature. Did the hiker say, today I'm going to provoke someone in a car so I can be set on fire? Of course not, but the psychopaths in the car said to themselves "today I'm going to provoke someone to anger. When he reacts as I anticipate and he pisses me off, I'm going to teach that man a lesson he won't soon forget with this can of fuel and a match. I'M the alpha male, here!"

The root of it all is narcissism--a warped sense of self love, and forums like this are MAGNETS for people of low self esteem who compensate by demeaning others and inflating themselves at other's expense. My questions are not invitations to a catwalk beauty contest. If anyone wants to prove how smart and able to contribute they are, respect the question, provide an answer that caters to the hiker's hike, THEN if you still want to add your hike in that's fine, but don't negate our hikes or our questions with your self important dismissals. Our hikes and questions aren't designed to negate your hike, and if you think they are, that they should require some kind of defensive offense, consider the benefits of seeing a psychologist for your delusional, antisocial behavior.

Please don't insult my intelligence saying I'm reading too much into this or I'm at fault here. You might as well tell a woman she was responsible for why she was raped. I am not trying to make anyone hike my hike or assert my hike is superior. If you think that, there's nothing I can do to help you, and I'm certainly not seeking help from you either.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAeroVT:1312067
    This post is not intended to be directed at anyone on this thread.

I've only been here a short while. And while I have enjoyed the company of several benevolant hikers who are very helpful, I've noticed already if you ask a specific question that requires concrete answers with examples based on personal experience, you still get off question philosophy that in some cases (not all) seems designed to negate your question or dismiss/ridicule your hike. If you have no experience with a piece of gear for which the thread is inquiring, why do you even respond? If you don't know how I intend to use a piece of gear, or maybe you couldn't retain all I wrote at one time, what are you using as a basis to criticize my interest in such an item--your hike? If the gear doesn't seem a viable solution for your hike--DON'T USE IT! If you don't have experience with the gear, I'm not asking you about it.

Degreed in engineering, analysis is just my nature. I'm accustomed to gathering data and coming to a conclusion. What kind of answer starts off with "You can over analyze"? and words like "duh".

I would ask such a smart aleck poster these questions but didn't because I already know these people have no conscience: Did my analytical nature disturb you? Did it remind you of the honor roll student in high school you couldn't measure up to, who may have snubbed you and made you feel inferior? Perhaps you felt abandoned by your father's displeasure because your grades couldn't elicit his praise? Does my verbal eloquence or analytical sophistication remind you of a similar painful event in your life, or did you come into the thread with a pre-existent pathology to set before me and have me step in so you could enjoy watching my disgust and the displeasure of having to scrape it off my shoe?

In another forum, a guys asks for a cheap low weight headlamp for camp use and predawn hiking, and someone responds that he sees no need for light--HIS hike is designed around natural light, he says. Then he offers what he uses: a one LED light with enough battery for 3-4 hours of above 50% intensity light which is more suited for his "just in case I need a light" hike than the hike of the guy who asked. The hiker who asked the question doesn't want to hike your hike, mister. Stop the pretense of being so smart and helpful and actually help the guy out. Your strategy for light is going to cost him $120 in batteries when he only needs to spend $12.

I ask for specific examples of shoe durability so I can approximate a budget and determine how many shoes I might need, and I get "the shoe matters little". Here we have a 66 year old hiker with loads of examples that could help me gauge durability of classes of shoes, and his smart aleck response is to dismiss my inquiry and get the insole he uses, as if my question didn't exist or I was even stupid for asking the question in the first place. When I redirected him to the nature of the question and how helpful he could be in that regard, no response. He had no intention of helping me, just using my question as an opportunity to dismiss it with his own superior philosophy and what matters to him.

There isn't that much difference between these types of smart aleck responses and the behavior of those two guys in the blue car in PA who dumped fuel on a hiker and lit him on fire. There was a verbal provocation for a pre-planned assault. The violence is differentiated only by its physically or psychologically destructive nature. Did the hiker say, today I'm going to provoke someone in a car so I can be set on fire? Of course not, but the psychopaths in the car said to themselves "today I'm going to provoke someone to anger. When he reacts as I anticipate and he pisses me off, I'm going to teach that man a lesson he won't soon forget with this can of fuel and a match. I'M the alpha male, here!"

The root of it all is narcissism--a warped sense of self love, and forums like this are MAGNETS for people of low self esteem who compensate by demeaning others and inflating themselves at other's expense. My questions are not invitations to a catwalk beauty contest. If anyone wants to prove how smart and able to contribute they are, respect the question, provide an answer that caters to the hiker's hike, THEN if you still want to add your hike in that's fine, but don't negate our hikes or our questions with your self important dismissals. Our hikes and questions aren't designed to negate your hike, and if you think they are, that they should require some kind of defensive offense, consider the benefits of seeing a psychologist for your delusional, antisocial behavior.

Please don't insult my intelligence saying I'm reading too much into this or I'm at fault here. You might as well tell a woman she was responsible for why she was raped. I am not trying to make anyone hike my hike or assert my hike is superior. If you think that, there's nothing I can do to help you, and I'm certainly not seeking help from you either.
    Does Sawyer inline filter answer your question?

Images

The reality of WB is you sift through the chaff.you also get great advice. You take the bad with the good.this isnt wikipedia.

Images

A sawyer in line water filter is the answer to any question.and sea salt.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Haha, you are the cut up, aren't you? And yes, the Sawyer inline filter will certainly answer my time management problems on an AT endurance hike, but I'm sure someone out there who hikes a three mile loop in a day will say a plastic straw works best for him and he's sure it will work the same for me.

The reality of WB is you sift through the chaff.you also get great advice. You take the bad with the good.this isnt wikipedia.
    Indeed, but then, weren't you the guy who originated this complaint thread, and isn't that the answer you could tell yourself?

Images

Being that youre new in town if you havent yet done so check out the articles on the home page.theres tons of info and tips without the smart aleck chatter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAeroVT View Post
    Indeed, but then, weren't you the guy who originated this complaint thread, and isn't that the answer you could tell yourself?
    Maybe you should read the whole thread were all friends here.yourr invited.
    And smile,it helps deal with the anger.

sifting through the bs on here is half the fun of your search for the correct answer that works for YOU. brokenaero maybe someone was asking for advice on a certain type of headlamp because they think thats what they need until they hear about the person who has the ballox to go out with a four hour 1 led deal, an alternative that may not have previously considered.

one of my very first posts here was contrary to another posters pov and an "argument" ensued. guess who came to the rescue of me as a newb. none other than LW himself. Im sure some of you that are on here more than me can find that conversation but at that moment i said to myself "LW is the man, he def knows whats going on in the real world. since then his posts have never swayed me from that conclusion."

final point: it seems that a good indication of how full of feces someone is on this site is to look at the ratio between their join date and the amount of posts they have. I noticed that some posters in this thread and others who shall remain nameless, well lets give them fake names to conceal their true identity's. Lets say missleshoes, and trekkerkid57 have an extrodinarily high number of posts considering they've only joined a year or so ago. Just an observation.

furthermore ones intelligence has nothing to do with their lack of grammar/spelling brokenaero this is a public forum on the internet. i'm not summizing a c.v.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAeroVT:1312083
    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Haha, you are the cut up, aren't you? And yes, the Sawyer inline filter will certainly answer my time management problems on an AT endurance hike, but I'm sure someone out there who hikes a three mile loop in a day will say a plastic straw works best for him and he's sure it will work the same for me.
    Never. I'm truly insulted.

As to the shoes
    Person # 1 - Can try ten different shoes to get the correct fit. 9 of the shoes will hurt their feet.

Person # 2 (Me) - Can easily be comfortable in almost any pair of shoes. Rarely has foot pain. Never gets a blister.

The conclusion is that shoes matter very little to me and are a major concern for others.

Broken, people who respond on forums are either people who have the answer, people who don't have the answer, or people who will make a joke out of anything. This isn't something that white blaze is unique to, and you can find it anywhere you look. Now, in return, you can be one of those people who can ignore the useless posts that don't have anything to do with you, or you can do what your doing, which is get all flustered and annoyed by some a$$ on the interwebs.

But to answer your question exactly (and dont take this as rude), this isn't REI. nobody here is under any obligation to give you, or anyone else a straight answer. Imagine you're at a party, and everyone there happens to have the same interest. In the conversations that are had (the posts here) with all the little cliques that form (the threads), while theyre more ore less going to generally talk about that thing, it should be perfectly acceptable to go off about something else. It's a conversation, and white blaze is just a party.

So you have a choice, you can get offended by some loser who wants to talk about himself and go home alone, or you can simply move onto other things. There's no need to brush with godwins law just because they dont answer your questions directly.

Relax, have some look aid, but make sure you use the sawyer inline water filter first.

I really thought I was the cut-up around here,hehehe, BA, I see where your coming from, and have felt this whole "I am women/man here me roar" stuff before as well. Some may need the elevation in psyche, I do not. I don't mind losing, I don't mind intellectuals, and I don't mind the selfishness in some threads, what I do mind is a presumption of ones attitude to not only command others attention, but demand ones attention, maybe try the ignore button, that seems to do it for some, I haven't tried it yet, not to that point yet, a good walk has do it for me thus far....and a good ole Sceed. Your gonna do just fine here, i'm sure of it. cheers man
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-15-2012 at 23:23.

Images

I think what we have been saying in the last 5 or 6 pages is that inspite of those folks that seem to lurk and wait for a chance to attack and trash what someone posts, most of us do sift thru the chaff, get the good info, try not to get too bent when someone does belittle your idea or opinion. We all have them, they are not all the same. Those of us that have stayed with this thread have had the unfortunate experience that you have voiced to us, we all know what you mean. We are all trying to show that we can all get along.

Quote Originally Posted by verasch View Post
    Broken, people who respond on forums are either people who have the answer, people who don't have the answer, or people who will make a joke out of anything. This isn't something that white blaze is unique to, and you can find it anywhere you look. Now, in return, you can be one of those people who can ignore the useless posts that don't have anything to do with you, or you can do what your doing, which is get all flustered and annoyed by some a$$ on the interwebs.

But to answer your question exactly (and dont take this as rude), this isn't REI. nobody here is under any obligation to give you, or anyone else a straight answer. Imagine you're at a party, and everyone there happens to have the same interest. In the conversations that are had (the posts here) with all the little cliques that form (the threads), while theyre more ore less going to generally talk about that thing, it should be perfectly acceptable to go off about something else. It's a conversation, and white blaze is just a party.

So you have a choice, you can get offended by some loser who wants to talk about himself and go home alone, or you can simply move onto other things. There's no need to brush with godwins law just because they dont answer your questions directly.

Relax, have some look aid, but make sure you use the sawyer inline water filter first.
    You're preaching to the choir here. I don't get flustered when these jerks span like a peacock. For the most part, I either say nothing so as not to be provoked or politely redirect the conversation back to the question and give them an opportunity to be helpful. That I complain about it elsewhere and call it as it is is something entirely different. I'm surprised that I wrote I'm not asking for anyone's help, and yet here comes the avelanche of advice. Humor is fun, but to be raped by these people and told I need to dress like a Muslim woman is insulting to me.

Images

So are you gonna join the party?there really is a lot to be learned here,and even i have something usrful to say.this thread is really about tolerance.inclusiveness.playing nice with others.
    16 days to Maine.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++