WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hate Halloween. It's a stupid holiday.

Well now that's not a very good start. I love this time of year October's my favorite month with the leaves changing and cool weather and Halloween is probably favorite holiday these days though I don't do anything but maybe a hike.

But I have one a few years ago I was a on a week hike in va Halloween day i was hiking along and came across a big squirrel othe trail with his head taken off! Ok hike on...

So later that day I came across a big rabbit laying on the trail decapitated!! I swear this was all on Halloween hike. Some crazy ozzy osbourne stuff going on.
    But actually I think it was more like a hawk or eagle,.

hoping to hear an owl or something howling in the distance through the night tomorrow...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I think Halloween is out for this area. Zeta killed it. We have no power anywhere around and no word on when we will. I have 2 trees down and 2 others split. It is so dark after the sun goes down, I feel like I'm in the wilderness. This morning was cold so I pulled out the Jetboil to make some cowboy coffee. That tasted terrific! I'm in south MS, but my son in NO is also without power. I can't see how Halloween activities would be remotely possible here. Im pretty sure we're under curfews. Last nite I sat in my car a while to listen to the radio and charge my phone. Plus side, there will probably be lots of half priced candy when the stores reopen! Happy Halloween to you guys!

I was going to dress up like a 70's hiker and trick or treat at a popular trailhead. See how many Cliff bars I can collect Too bad my wool knickers no longer fit

Actually, my hiking partner and I are going on a hike somewhere (still a question of where with the recent snow and 18 degree start tomorrow morning). Then we pose with Halloween masks and trick or treat bags on a scenic ledge to post on Instagram. It's all about the 'gram...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I went out a few years ago for a 2 nighter locally. The Sametime of year the last week in October. It snowed a couple inches the night before and we got big winds alot of blow downs.

My first night was at the Ed Garvey shelter, I'm sitting reading a walk in the woods and in comes 2 young sobo's male so after pleasantries and after a couple hours a young lady came in carrying a cat on her pack that's right she carried this cat all the way from Maine.
    The next morning I left first headed for the David lessner shelter i didn't know if I'd ever see them again. So sitting at the David lessner, and sure enough here they come all 4 of them ,3 hikers and a cat.
    So at that shelter the water source is about 1/4 mile down the hill . I went and got my water and had a heck of a time because of all the blow downs. I got back and we were sitting around the fire telling stories and they had bought a 1/2 gallon of cheap vodka in a plastic container. When they came through hf they picked it up somewhere. After a couple of hours of them drinking vodka and telling stories it was getting dark so I told them whoever's getting water should go because it's getting dark and it's very difficult because of all the blow downs , I mean trees down everywhere no more blue blazes to go by. The young lady said it was her turn to go get water and said i hike in the dark all the time I'll be fine. Well after a few more stories and a few more swigs of vodka and pitch dark there she goes down the hill for water.
    After awhile maybe 1 hour or more she never came back. Her boyfriend says he's tired and going to the shelter to pass out ,I said what about your girlfriend awe she will be fine . After a couple minutes his buddy went to bed. So I made the fire real big so maybe she could see it . But after another hour or more I went over to the shelter and woke him up ,I said hey man we should go look for your girlfriend it's been a couple of hours. I went with him and we were walking down the hill screaming her name and sure enough she was bushwhacking way off trail. She finally found us and she said she was getting ready to make a big pile leaves and sleep in them ,it was cold.
    We got back to camp and her boyfriend went back to sleep and she stayed out by the fire with me for a bit and she asked me who wanted to come get me ,I said it was a him.
    The only thru hiking cat I've come across.

Not only will this Halloween be illuminated by a full moon, it will also be a blue moon (2nd full moon of the month). Something cool to check out!

Be VERY Afraid

They live in a lonely place,
    a hidden space,
    no human trace.
    They live at a slower pace
    In their mountain base
    far from grace.
    No one is even aware
    they're lurking there;
    they don't stare.
    Get too close, just beware
    you'll feel their glare,
    a living nightmare.
    Get caught up in their wake
    and they take
    like a living snake
    If you feel a slight quake
    a belly ache,
    don't mistake.
    They survive in a lonely place,
    a scary space,
    in dark disgrace.
    Never will you see their face,
    Before they displace
    the human race.

Early snow in the mountains, kind of scary.
    halloween.jpg
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

thats the spirit

Actually your hiking partner kinda freaks me out.
    I never have liked them life sized dolls. You know 3' and real life like with realistic eyes that follow you across the room. Some of them actually have eyes that blink on their own ! Oh hell no !!

Years ago I used to have to go into peoples houses for service call and somebody would have a whole line of them freaky things.

I remember another owner had their giant Doberman pincher stuffed and mounted that freaked me out. ( I didn't know it was dead at first.)

Nope none of them dolls around my house or them little voodoo dolls that come alive when their necklace falls off.

I know real tough guy afraid of dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I hate Halloween. It's a stupid holiday.
    I was not allowed to do Halloween as a child.However,my mother let me sneak out one time with my older cousin who could drive.Then my kids needed someone to take them so Guess Who.Just got back from taking my grandson a few minutes ago.All I want to know is who came up with the idea and why..............

Ireland and Scotland, used to hold yearly festivals.
    The night before they would have bonfires and wear costumes to ward off evil spirits.
    Hence the term all hallows eve and then Halloween became all saints day.

Hey five,

What was the reasoning for your parents not letting you do Halloween? Religious beliefs or not trusting people or perhaps not trusting you? Good for you taking your kids and grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Hey five,

What was the reasoning for your parents not letting you do Halloween? Religious beliefs or not trusting people or perhaps not trusting you? Good for you taking your kids and grandkids.

Well,since you asked,my Dad was a veteran Army officer in WW2,served under General Patton in the Signal Corp etc.He did not like the idea of kids intimidating people with "trick or treat" because he didn't want us getting things that were not earned or at least voluntarily gifted to us.

Last night after I posted this my daughter texts my wife about the apparent chaos that broke out in her neighborhood. Without doing a Google search I know Halloween goes back to something called All Saints Eve,I think, but how that got connected to kids running around demanding free candy is beyond my pay grade.I was shocked by the lack of manners that most kids in her neighborhood displayed before we went home for dinner too............

I got the owl and plenty of coyotes howling I wished for... also got to hear a big branch fall not too far from me and some deer coughs
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++