WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What to expect at the end of July...

My friend and I are headed up to Franconia notch for a section hike some time around July 29th. We are only planning to do a few nights on the trail so we'll probably be loaded with goodies for the thru hikers up that way. I'm just curious as to what I should expect as far as bugs go. Are the black flies still out at and should I expect a mosquito onslaught? How about ticks? Any info would be much appreciated.

Most bugs are clear by then up on the ridges, down in the valleys mosquitoes will be still be out around sunset.

THe whites have wood ticks in spots, mostly in the valleys, but deer ticks are not very plentiful.

Images

You will be hiking in NH at the height of thruhiker season. If you have "goodies" for them, you will make friends quickly.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Most bugs are clear by then up on the ridges, down in the valleys mosquitoes will be still be out around sunset.

THe whites have wood ticks in spots, mostly in the valleys, but deer ticks are not very plentiful.
    Thanks for the information. My friend does this hike every year and he raves about it. I couldn't be more excited and not having to worry about the bugginess too much is wonderful news!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    You will be hiking in NH at the height of thruhiker season. If you have "goodies" for them, you will make friends quickly.
    Yeah, I'm hoping to hear a few good stories and enjoy some laughs on the trail. If I can bring a smile or two to some tired faces, that'll be enough for me.

Was up that way not long ago backpacking. Very little black fly activity, plenty of mosquitoes. Some spritzes of 100% deet on my hat/shirt/pants kept them away just fine. Ticks were awful in the spring...but seem to be not-so-bad now (weird, perhaps the dry spells we've had).
    There have been some wicked fast to form thunderstorms lately, Mount Washington Observatory tends to give the most accurate summit forecast for the general area...long story short though if you can be below treeline before mid/late afternoon- it's a good idea.

++ New Posts ++