WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current thru-hiker: sister coming to NYC Aug 3rd to hike, and i need help planning

So I should be in Duncannon, PA on Tuesday and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to meet her in NYC would be

August 3rd is a Friday and I didn't know that the train that goes from the trail is on Saturdays/Sundays only. We can use that I suppose to get *out* to the trail from NYC but I was really hoping to use that train to get into NYC. Besides that train along the trail I'm not sure what the best way to get into NYC would be.

I am comfortable yellow blazing to be able to meet her on time and I don't really know if me being in Duncannon on Tuesday puts me on schedule to meet her on the 3rd. I also wouldn't mind being in NYC a day or two earlier to meet some college friends (so I'm not dragging her around to meet old friends and so that we can have our own special day in NYC before leaving the city for the trail).

She has to fly back on the 14th. She is rather fit (does long distance bike trips) but I don't really know how demanding the terrain is north of NYC and how she'll deal with it, and we all know that hiking long distance is it's own thing. I'd rather take my time and make sure she is having fun and comfortable, but without really knowing in advance what kind of miles we might do I'm not sure how she'll get back to NYC from the trail and fly back home. We kinda got so excited that she has time off of work that she already bought tickets without me having time to figure things out 100%... I'm sure we can work around this but some advice would be really appreciated

Public transport to/from the trail via bus from Bear Mountain and Arden Valley Road. Via train from Harriman NY and Pawling NY, each a few miles off the trail. As you know, there is weekend train service from Rte 22 "Appalachian Trail" stop.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Public transport to/from the trail via bus from Bear Mountain and Arden Valley Road. Via train from Harriman NY and Pawling NY, each a few miles off the trail. As you know, there is weekend train service from Rte 22 "Appalachian Trail" stop.
    Lemme finish what Feral Bill started
    After you meet your sister and begin hiking she can leave the Trail and return to NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal by taking a Greyhound bus from Great Barrington or Pittsfield MA

Trains run out of Harrisburg near Duncannon and also out of Pittsfield MA in addition to what's already been mentioned

Images

Hi CassieBee. Congrats on your successful hike to date. You're doing great, if I may say so!

About the hike northward. The eastern Hudson Valley, I hear, is pretty easy. Connecticut has lots of ups and downs and is rocky in places, similar with Mass from what I've hiked and heard. Buses are available from Pittsfield, Mass, Williamstown, too, and Jeff the Green Mountain hostel proprietor in Manchester, VT is very helpful - he posts here. Tom Levardi in Dalton is a well-liked trail angel who will shuttle you for resupply, etc. The Cookie Lady and her husband, 0.1 mile southeast of the trail on Washington Road near Dalton, MA, are a must visit. They love hikers and give free cookies and allow you to pick blueberries from their farm, if they're still growing by then. I also hear they sell other snacks and treats for at-cost, maybe a little less than, in fact. Maria McCabe in Salisbury is a legendary trail angel and, I'd bet, would love you and your sister, and vice versa - Salisbury is a nice town, though rich and a bit pricey. Lots of nice food and stores and a good outfitter.

It's very dry in our area now. Cross your fingers for a few good rains, or plan to carry a lot of water and to filter or treat wherever you find some water. It's very bad now. Hope y'all enjoy your time together.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

++ New Posts ++