WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2305 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 1305 1805 2205 2255 2295 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2315 2355 2405 ... LastLast
Results 46,081 to 46,100 of 49000
    Images

As many of us are getting ready to get back out on the trail, I thought these tips might come in handy.

Some Camping Tips

• When using a public campground, a tuba placed on your picnic table will keep the campsites on either side vacant.
    • Get even with a bear who raided your food bag by kicking his favorite stump apart and eating all the ants.
    • Old socks can be made into high fiber beef jerky by smoking them over an open fire.
    • When smoking a fish, never inhale.
    • A hot rock placed in your sleeping bag will keep your feet warm. A hot enchilada works almost as well, but the cheese sticks between your toes.
    • The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
    • Acupuncture was invented by a camper who found a porcupine in his sleeping bag.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.
    • Effective January 1, 1997, you will actually have to enlist in the Swiss Army to get a Swiss Army Knife.
    • Lint from your navel makes a handy fire starter. Warning: Remove lint from navel before applying the match.
    • You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • You can duplicate the warmth of a down-filled bedroll by climbing into a plastic garbage bag with several geese.
    • When camping, always wear a long-sleeved shirt. It gives you something to wipe your nose on.
    • You can compress the diameter of your rolled up sleeping bag by running over it with your car.
    • Take this simple test to see if you qualify for solo camping. Shine a flashlight into one ear. If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone.
    • A two-man pup tent does not include two men or a pup.
    • A potato baked in the coals for one hour makes an excellent side dish. A potato baked in the coals for three hours makes an excellent hockey puck.
    • You can start a fire without matches by eating Mexican food, then breathing on a pile of dry sticks.
    • In emergency situations, you can survive in the wilderness by shooting small game with a slingshot made from the elastic waistband of your underwear.
    • The guitar of the noisy teenager at the next campsite makes excellent kindling.
    • Check the washing instructions before purchasing any apparel to be worn camping. Buy only those that read “Beat on a rock in stream.”
    • The sight of a bald eagle has thrilled campers for generations. The sight of a bald man, however, does absolutely nothing for the eagle.
    • It’s entirely possible to spend your whole vacation on a winding mountain road behind a large motor home.
    • Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country. The tricky part is getting them on the bears.
    • A great deal of hostility can be released by using newspaper photos of politicians for toilet paper.
    • In an emergency, a drawstring from a parka hood can be used to strangle a snoring tent mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Genius.
    That run was driving me crazy. It wasn't as easy as it looks. I knew it would slow down if I could just hit the right one and it did.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I can be taught. It takes some patience though.
    couldn't resist http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Just hoping to meet oz army and an invisible man as they pass through New York and Connecticut
    Any possible locations being talked about yet or is it still to early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat:1497835
    As many of us are getting ready to get back out on the trail, I thought these tips might come in handy.

Some Camping Tips

• When using a public campground, a tuba placed on your picnic table will keep the campsites on either side vacant.
    • Get even with a bear who raided your food bag by kicking his favorite stump apart and eating all the ants.
    • Old socks can be made into high fiber beef jerky by smoking them over an open fire.
    • When smoking a fish, never inhale.
    • A hot rock placed in your sleeping bag will keep your feet warm. A hot enchilada works almost as well, but the cheese sticks between your toes.
    • The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
    • Acupuncture was invented by a camper who found a porcupine in his sleeping bag.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.
    • Effective January 1, 1997, you will actually have to enlist in the Swiss Army to get a Swiss Army Knife.
    • Lint from your navel makes a handy fire starter. Warning: Remove lint from navel before applying the match.
    • You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • You can duplicate the warmth of a down-filled bedroll by climbing into a plastic garbage bag with several geese.
    • When camping, always wear a long-sleeved shirt. It gives you something to wipe your nose on.
    • You can compress the diameter of your rolled up sleeping bag by running over it with your car.
    • Take this simple test to see if you qualify for solo camping. Shine a flashlight into one ear. If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone.
    • A two-man pup tent does not include two men or a pup.
    • A potato baked in the coals for one hour makes an excellent side dish. A potato baked in the coals for three hours makes an excellent hockey puck.
    • You can start a fire without matches by eating Mexican food, then breathing on a pile of dry sticks.
    • In emergency situations, you can survive in the wilderness by shooting small game with a slingshot made from the elastic waistband of your underwear.
    • The guitar of the noisy teenager at the next campsite makes excellent kindling.
    • Check the washing instructions before purchasing any apparel to be worn camping. Buy only those that read “Beat on a rock in stream.”
    • The sight of a bald eagle has thrilled campers for generations. The sight of a bald man, however, does absolutely nothing for the eagle.
    • It’s entirely possible to spend your whole vacation on a winding mountain road behind a large motor home.
    • Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country. The tricky part is getting them on the bears.
    • A great deal of hostility can be released by using newspaper photos of politicians for toilet paper.
    • In an emergency, a drawstring from a parka hood can be used to strangle a snoring tent mate.
    This should be made an article

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Some good stuff in there but I don't know about those beef jerky socks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Any possible locations being talked about yet or is it still to early to tell.
    Give me a couple of days to work it out.
    Currently following nj/ny border but IM is 30 mile behind.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Give me a couple of days to work it out.
    Currently following nj/ny border but IM is 30 mile behind.
    Very good. Oz, what camera is it that you have. I've been checking out your TJ pics and the quality of yours seems so much better that my Nikon AW100. Unless I'm doing something wrong yours look much clearer and color is better. What model do you have again?

Images

Very good. Oz, what camera is it that you have. I've been checking out your TJ pics and the quality of yours seems so much better that my Nikon AW100. Unless I'm doing something wrong yours look much clearer and color is better. What model do you have again?
    Olympus tg1 "tough" range.

Images

color is better cuz we were hiking in winter.

Now some of my pics of that crystalized mountain top came out really good. They are how you say "surreal."

Images

Now some of my pics of that crystalized mountain top came out really good. They are how you say "surreal."
    faaaaar out

Images

Probly tru dat!

Images

Memo for future thru hikers:
    Bounce no boxes!
    Pains in the a##.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Memo for future thru hikers:
    Bounce no boxes!
    Pains in the a##.
    I had food boxes mailed to me on my thru and you are correct, totally not necessary and I don't do that anymore.

However, since I will not have any home support next year I intent to bounce a box to myself with meds and maps that I plan right now to reach every 3 weeks or so. Really don't see an easier way to do this. And since I am already using a bounce box - I wouldn't do this otherwise - I'll include things in it you only need a few of at a time like q-tips, ziplocks, etc.

Images

One bounce box every few weeks sounds easy but be careful.
    They tend to "grow" and I guarantee at least a couple will be where you don't want them.
    Post office hours are a pain but at least you can get a new box and immediately remail it.
    Other locations may hold a box but can't take it back off you.

Images

That run was driving me crazy. It wasn't as easy as it looks. I knew it would slow down if I could just hit the right one and it did.
    I reckon you deserve a Silver Star for Distinguished Service on the Battlefield. Well done, soldier!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

I'm thinking grainy, 50s-style instructional video, complete with happy music and crew cuts.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8:1497900
    I'm thinking grainy, 50s-style instructional video, complete with happy music and crew cuts.
    Maybe the same director as "Reefer Madness" from the 30's

Images

I want to apologise to anyone I have in my email contacts.
    My account got hacked a couple of days ago and you will have got spam from me.

++ New Posts ++