WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default is this possible for a sleeping bag?

I'm in need of a new sleeping bag that packs really small. I'd like a 20 degree, synthetic bag. I'm thinking it needs to be no longer than 14 inches when it's packed.

Is this nuts? I'll be using it 3 seasons, but probably won't ever go below 30 degrees. I am a cold sleeper though.

Should I be looking into a down bag?

The important things for me are that it packs small and it keeps me warm. And I'd like to keep it around the 150 mark. But I'll go higher if I have to.

Thanks.

If you want a smaller compressed bag, down is the solution. You can get one for what you are looking to spend, just be aware that it will probably be heavier than more expensive bags. You always get what you pay for, but the Campmor bag here is certainly a good deal: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA -->ME 2005

Thanks, I'm wondering if that Kelty Light Year - 25 degrees, is a bit better quality. I surely don't want to skimp on the sleeping bag, which is the most important for me. But I also can't afford a few hundred bucks.
    Decisions, Desicions.

Here's the links for the Kelty: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
    Last edited by Crazy Janey; 05-31-2005 at 11:32.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

If you want maximum compressibility you might want to consider goose down. I carry a 20 down bag pretty much all the time (3 seasons anyway) and it packs down quite small without an actual compression sack. I use a silnylon stuff sack that fits horizontally across the bottom of my back pack. The weight of other things in my pack squeezes it down even more.

With an actuall compression sack I can get this same bag down to the size of a softball but I don't like over doing it like that. Destroys the loft of the down after a while.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    Last edited by Footslogger; 05-31-2005 at 11:34.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I have heard good things about the Kelty bags, and they are still at a "reasonable" price. It is good that you are being cautious about this and realize how important your sleeping bag is. I think the Kelty is a good choice for you over the Campmor bag, as it is close in price but has a higher fill count and even weighs a few ounces less.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA -->ME 2005

happypappy

I have been using a 20 degree Kelty synthetic for a few seasons now, wtih NO complaints. Got it on sale, so the money laid out was minimal, it keeps me warm, and it really does pack quite small. No complaints so far after about 4 years of use.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely not married to either down or synthetic. But one thing I am reading is that no matter which one you have, they shouldn't be "compressed" with a stuff sack or the sack that the bag comes in. If that's the case, how do people pack their sleeping bags?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Janey
    I surely don't want to skimp on the sleeping bag, which is the most important for me. But I also can't afford a few hundred bucks.
    Sometimes you have to make choices.
    Frosty

Check zipper length. Might be a factor.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Janey
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely not married to either down or synthetic. But one thing I am reading is that no matter which one you have, they shouldn't be "compressed" with a stuff sack or the sack that the bag comes in. If that's the case, how do people pack their sleeping bags?
    That's for storing them in your attic/closet. The bags I have came with two sacks. A large one for long-term storage, and a small one for packing in your backpack.
    Frosty

I have a 25 degree and a 45 degree Kelty Lightyear down and, for the price, both have been very decent bags. I am a cold sleeper, and I wouldn't take the 25 degree-er down to 25 degrees, but I generally stay pretty comfortable in moderately cold weather.

And I do pack the bag in its stuff sack when I'm hiking, but its hung out in the closet, not stuffed, when we aren't packing.

I just bought a Lafuma "warm & light 1 kelo down", 30 degree bag from a local sporting good store. It packs out at 12" by 8" and weighs 35 oz. I plan on carrying it on my Smokey trip June 20th. I paid $130.00 after 20% discount. I think it's going to be a good all around bag for my needs.

I have a Kelty bag I bought from a member here on WB and love it. I also hang the bag out of the stuff sack while it is idle here at home.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

I was on Springer last December 11th with temps in the low 20's and snow with my Kelty Light Year 25 down bag. I slept plenty comfortable with a hat, long sleeve poly and a pair of light nylon hiking pants on. There were 6 people in the shelter on the main floor though so that may have helped. It packs down pretty small and is light enough for me. I think its a pretty decent bag for not a lot of money. It won't last as long as a higher dollar WM bag but its not a bad bag. Sierra Trading Post has some Light Year 3D 30 degree bags on sale now for $64.95. Rated warmer than you wanted but probably worth a look. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

Montbell makes awesome bags but they ten to be expensive. Check out there web specials for deals. www.montbell.com

++ New Posts ++