WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail parking at I-81

I was wondering if there is parking either at US-11 or near the I-81 overpass.
    Thanks

Just making my way up and down Pennsylvania a few miles at a time.

Assuming you mean the crossings in Cumberland County, PA in the Cumberland Valley, there is no parking directly at the I-81/Bernheisel Bridge Rd bridge the A.T. uses, nor is there any parking beside the US 11 overpass in Middlesex. Parking is sometimes available at the Scott Farm Trail Work Center (although the parking lot will be repaved in the next few weeks as I type this) which on Bernheisel Bridge Rd a little bit north of I-81. Nearby is a gravel parking area at Sherwood Drive, slightly north. http://www.cvatclub.org/blog/entry/3...-least-july-29. Further south, there is a new parking area at PA 641, Trindle Rd between Carlisle and Mechanicsburg, and also in Boiling Springs (need to check in at the ATC office for overnight).

Usually http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/ is a good source although looking on there IMHO people are trying too hard to make parking at places other than the four noted above. Also old information superseded by recent construction at Trindle Rd is still on there.

There is also a parking lot in front of a garage that is not in use just a bit lower than the 944 (Wertzville Rd) tunnel. I have parked there when doing shuttles.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    There is also a parking lot in front of a garage that is not in use just a bit lower than the 944 (Wertzville Rd) tunnel. I have parked there when doing shuttles.
    Some of those people around 944 and Deer Lane were pretty virulently anti-trail, I wouldn't leave an unattended vehicle north of Sherwood Dr to the Blue/North mountain summit especially not on private property. It's unfortunate the (old style heavy state by state official A.T.) guides call 944 a section break, it really shouldn't be.

++ New Posts ++