WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default So. VA mail drop?

hey gang!

about to leave on my 3 week + section hike

whats the best/closest mail-drop in Southern Virginia (Damascus to Pearisburg) approx midway to my destination???

any good/bad experiences?

how about cheep motels in same town?

see ya'll out there: APR 28-May 5 ("Model T crew") Hot Springs-Erwin
    May 6 & 7 (Sobo) Carvers Gap-Erwin
    May 8-20 (Nobo) Damascus-Pearisburg
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

I've always been treated well at the Victory motel at Rural Retreat/Groseclose/Atkins or whatever the real name of the place is. They used to accept mail drops and the guy next door did shuttles. There is a Dairy Queen, a very good restaurant, and a convenience store all with in a couple hundred feet. There used to be another restaurant right in front of the motel but it was closed the last time I was there.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm hoping to walk from Catawba to Atkins/Groseclose in early June. How easy is it to re-supply in Bland?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Where's BJ when you need him?

The Relax Inn at I-81/US11 is nearly halfway to Pearisburg from Damascus and used to accept mail drops. Probably still do.

Bland has a couple good stores to resupply in.

Try;

Relax Inn
    7253 Lee Highway Exit 54
    Rural Retreat, VA. 24368

(276)783-5811

Other mail possibilities:

P.O. in Troutdale, VA 24378

P.O. in Bland 24315

Best motels are Relax Inn and Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg (540) 921-2636. There's a motel in Bland, the Big Walker (call 276-688-3331 for details); there's also a church hostel in Troutdale that has an excellent reputation.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We used the grocer in Marion, VA to resupply, although it was a spur of the moment decision and the town is a bit far (maybe 10 miles or so). There is a Food Lion in town.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Did the Victory change it's name to Relax Inn? That sounds like the same location I was talking about, I-81/11.

Red face Relax Inn

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    Did the Victory change it's name to Relax Inn? That sounds like the same location I was talking about, I-81/11.
    I never knew it as the Victory - I thought it was the Village Motel before. Anyway, it's the Relax Inn now. I stayed there while doing 2 section hikes in early February south of Groseclose and early March (in the snow) north of Groseclose. The owner shuttles virtually anywhere and I believe he accepts maildrops. In addition to the Dairy Queen, there's a "local color" restaurant across the street. Finally, if you're in the middle of a hike and don't want to stay at the Relax Inn, the Shell station offers showers for $5, towel included.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 04-25-2005 at 21:54. Reason: Left out a word

Troutdale was a tough hitch for me in 2001 (read: 2 mile backwards hike along busy road late in the afternoon, and on a mildly sprained ankle, too!) But the Postmaster there made up for it. I stumbled in to the PO just before closing, but he waited patiently for me to repack my bouncebox, then gave me a ride back to the Trail, including a stop at the store for a cold drink. His generosity and caring helped me forget my sore ankle and propelled me another five miles down the Trail that evening. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the place for a maildrop (too soon after Damascus, at least for a thru-hiker), but I have a good memory of the place.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
    I never knew it as the Victory - I thought it was the Village Motel before. Anyway, it's the Relax Inn now. I stayed there while doing 2 section hikes in early February south of Groseclose and early March (in the snow) north of Groseclose. The owner shuttles virtually anywhere and I believe he accepts maildrops. In addition to the Dairy Queen, there's a "local color" restaurant across the street. Finally, if you're in the middle of a hike and don't want to stay at the Relax Inn, the Shell station offers showers for $5, towel included.
    I stand corrected: It was Village. At least I had the "V" right! Maybe I should switch from .02 to .01 cents worth.

++ New Posts ++