WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snake identification needed - seen on AT near PA850 (Valley Road)

On Sunday, 7/22/12 I encountered a snake on the AT very near PA850 (Valley Rd, Marysville, PA) and took 2 good photos. I was hoping someone on the site could identify it. Any herpetologists out there? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a Black Rat snake, no venomous, but acts bad ass

oooooh, he's Pissed !...yep agree looks like maybe a "Black Rat Snake"....Cool photo, nice catch!

Oh, and to White Blaze

Thanks for the quick responses and the welcomes. I did think it was a black rat snake. I got close enough to cause it to rear up, but not strike. I wasn't close enough to see if it had vertical eye slits like the pit vipers. Of course, I left it there to eat some more rodents. The coloration seemed to have a very light diamond pattern, so I was undecided on the black rat snake or something else. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I got close enough to cause it to rear up, but not strike. I wasn't close enough to see if it had vertical eye slits like the pit vipers.
    Next time you might want to do that in reverse order.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Compared it with some pictures, agreeing on either a rat snake or a black racer.

Images

vipers. Of course, I left it there to eat some more rodents.
    Were you thinking of killing it? Just because you have a fear of snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the opposite of what he intended to do.

Thanks for the quick responses and the welcomes. I did think it was a black rat snake. I got close enough to cause it to rear up, but not strike. I wasn't close enough to see if it had vertical eye slits like the pit vipers. Of course, I left it there to eat some more rodents. The coloration seemed to have a very light diamond pattern, so I was undecided on the black rat snake or something else. Thanks again for the help.
    It's common for them to do that, but they rarely strike. They also rattle their tail, but they don't have a rattle, but you can hear it if they're in heavy brush and rattling their tail against it. That's how I got this pic; I would of never have seen him, but I heard some rattling so I started looking in the brush and there he was

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It's common for them to do that, but they rarely strike. They also rattle their tail, but they don't have a rattle, but you can hear it if they're in heavy brush and rattling their tail against it. That's how I got this pic; I would of never have seen him, but I heard some rattling so I started looking in the brush and there he was

That's a Black Racer.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    That's a Black Racer.

I think the black racer only has a white patch under the head with the rest of the snakes underside black.

The snake pictured in the OP has a white underbelly. That would be more indicative of a black rat snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I think the black racer only has a white patch under the head with the rest of the snakes underside black.

The snake pictured in the OP has a white underbelly. That would be more indicative of a black rat snake.
    The OP pic is a Black Rat Snake, JG's pic and description is a Black Racer.

I should be more clear about Gault's pic and ID it as a Southern Black Racer. They have a light colored slate to blue gray underside. I understand that Northern Black Racers may have a dark underside, and there are even yellow-bellied racers are found in the Central U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Never even thought of killing it! And I was very close when I took that picture, so I wasn't afraid. I only have a fear of poisonous snakes and keep my distance from them. However, there are a few neighborhood destructive squirrels this snake could constrict for me, but I didn't have a snake bag with me, LoL.

KING Cobra ... for sure...not lol

I should be more clear about Gault's pic and ID it as a Southern Black Racer. They have a light colored slate to blue gray underside. I understand that Northern Black Racers may have a dark underside, and there are even yellow-bellied racers are found in the Central U.S.
    I agree that that may be a Southern Black Racer or it may be a black rat, I don't know, because I don't get that much into separating snake species, that are so similar in appearance and mannerism. At that point my interest tends to wane

..., JG's pic and description is a Black Racer.
    However, with respect to "description", if by that you're talking about the rattling of the tail. I've read about that behavior about both black snakes (racers and rats). So in a sense it doesn't really matter to me since they look very much a like and their mannerism, with respect to coiling up for a strike and rattling the tail, is very much the same.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Re...ckratsnake.cfm

[QUOTE=john gault;1316365] I don't know, because I don't get that much into separating snake species, that are so similar in appearance and mannerism. At that point my interest tends to wane /QUOTE]

The best way to tell the difference is to grab the snake. The rat snake will not bite you, the Black Racer will bite you again and again, even after you let go.

The Black Rat Snake is one of several subspecies of Ratsnakes (Yellow and Gray Ratsnakes are others). Ratsnakes are common throughout the eastern U.S., although the black subspecies of rat snake does not occur in Florida
    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw251

So, if it bites then it is a racer....... I would rather get educated in snake identification. Actually it is a common black snake, scientific name is Pantherophis obsoletus. They can grow in excess of 6 to 8 feet long. They are not venomous, but do have a bite that will make you wish you didn't mess with it. It is a very easy snake to handle. I would not recommend bringing harm to this snake. For if there are black snakes in the vicinity, then you can almost be assured that there will not be copperheads present. A copperhead holds no match to the Black Snake. BTW I am a game warden and have dealt with the black snake on several occasions. I would just let it go where it needs to go and you do the same; you both will be happy in the end.
    You only have one life; live it wisely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++