WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Default Car Vandalism at Applachian Gap

My son just completed a run up to Appalachian Gap this morning and, in the main parking area, he saw a parked vehicle with New York plates that had the rear window smashed in. There was glass on the parking lot. He could not determine if any of the cars' contents was missing. The time was approximately 9:30am.

This is unfortunate since many hikers park at this lot and for a long period of time I have not heard of any vandalism incidents. Please caution hikers about parking there overnight.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It needs to be reported to the authorities and the ATC.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Blissful..this is a Long Trail parking area. I am certain Rough will let GMC know. Tough to end a hike this way.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

We had a similar experience recently in a VT parking area of the AT. It was very unfortunate for one of our hiking party. Happened in late May/early June.

Images

Man - hate to hear that - - just left my car in in Vermont on the AT / LT (US 4) for 2 weeks while I hiked through VT and NH - - no issues - - I think that thieves must know that hiker cars are good targets as they are abandoned for a long period of time - - I've always thought of Veremont as being one of the safer states though - - left my car for 20 plus days, etc. - - I suppose that one could make arrangements to park at a local business (hostel?) and get shuttled to AND from the trail, but this is an added hassle - - sorry to hear about this.

Hate to burst any bubbles, but I live in VT and I would *never* leave my car overnight at that or any trailhead like it. That kind of thing happens *all*the*time*. About the only ones I trust are the couple of trailheads embedded within staffed state parks, like the Mansfield west side one at Underhill SP. When I go out for overnights around here I arrange to be dropped off and picked up.

This kind of thing has been fairly commonplace around here for many years, but property crime in general is way up in the last few years as opiate abuse and addiction gets more rampant. Lately meth is making inroads too, and that won't improve matters.

None of this is to say the OP's son's experience doesn't suck. It does, and I'm sorry.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Blissful..this is a Long Trail parking area. I am certain Rough will let GMC know. Tough to end a hike this way.
    Yes GMC. sorry

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Happens all the time....mirabela is correct - from a thief's point of view this is common... its a random piece of vandalism. Folks feel that theft is the reason,,, that was then this is now. The culture we live in today doesn't give a damn about others people's property.

You can clean out the car - leave the doors unlocked and still loose a window.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I've always thought of Veremont as being one of the safer states though - - left my car for 20 plus days, etc.
    Back in the mid-90s when I hiked the state of Vermont I left my car at the Pine Cobble Trailhead (which is actually in MA a couple miles S of VT) for close to 3 weeks with no issues. The only reason I mention this is when I planned my trip I was considering doing the LT, and at the time a couple cars at the north end trailhead had been set on fire.

Unfortunately this kind of thing has been more frequent the past few years....especially for cars with out of state plates. The parking lots are rarely patrolled by police at night, so the local delinquents party there and know there's little chance of being hassled. Why they feel the need to destroy stuff, I don't really know.

My father and I were waiting to be picked up at App Gap when the owner of this vehicle showed up. He had only been parked there a couple days, but obvioulsly that was long enough. He did say that nothing had been stolen. Perhaps the idiots who did this thought there was something worth stealing in there. I gave the vehicle owner the VT State Police # listed on the hiker kiosk, and he was going to report it. No service in the Gap.

Cell service that is......

Nothing had been stolen in our buddies car either, GPS laying there in plain sight. Purely vandalism.

++ New Posts ++