WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie SOBO September

Hi there. I am a 25 year old girl, wanting to hike The Long Trail during the month of September.
    I don't have much backpacking experience, and I know many of you will think it's ludicrous to do, especially SOBO,
    But I feel that I can do it if I get some guidance on what I need.
    I already have an Osprey backpack and a tent (though from all I've read a tent is not the best option for sleeping on the LT?)
    but I would appreciate input about what kind of gear I need
    In terms of that time of year, weather, rain, warmth, best sleeping and water equipment.

I hike day hikes all the time solo, and I am in pretty good shape.
    My biggest concerns are being shielded from cold and wet.

Any and all advice is very welcome and appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxthegirl View Post
    Hi there. I am a 25 year old girl, wanting to hike The Long Trail during the month of September.
    I don't have much backpacking experience, and I know many of you will think it's ludicrous to do, especially SOBO,
    I already have an Osprey backpack and a tent (though from all I've read a tent is not the best option for sleeping on the LT?)
    In terms of that time of year, weather, rain, warmth, best sleeping and water equipment.

I end to ended the trail in 2010 and would be happy to help you. I think you'll be fine. I'll share my exact itinerary with you, re-supply points, gear list, etc. - send me a private message.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm going with full rain gear for Sept (jacket and pants) and a 15 degree bag. I don't take chances.
    I always take a tent, you never know what could happen and you may need to pitch between shelters.

Backpacking and day hiking are two totally different beasts. But you have youth and determination on your side, and that will help.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thank you!
    I was advised to bring full rain gear and a tent for exactly the reasons you stated.
    I know that backpacking is different from day hiking but this needs to happen, so
    I am just trying to best prepare myself!
    Once the decision is made, it comes down to being wise about how to do it, right?!
    So yea, please any packing lists, tips, etc. are very appreciated!!

Images

Do a few 2-3 day test hikes before you set out. I failed epically on an end-to-end attempt in June, mostly because of how inexperienced I was with backpacking. Once you have all your gear, try to get out and give some test hikes a shot. You will learn a lot about what you need to do to be successful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    Do a few 2-3 day test hikes before you set out. I failed epically on an end-to-end attempt in June, mostly because of how inexperienced I was with backpacking. Once you have all your gear, try to get out and give some test hikes a shot. You will learn a lot about what you need to do to be successful.
    probably a good comment - - lots of folks sit behind computers at home and dream about how cool this all is - - it's another thing entirely to get out there and actually do it - - it's hard work and sometimes nearly impossible - - knowing what you are really getting yourself into is important. All that said, I have found that my time as a long distance trekker has been exponentially rewarding.

Good luck on your thru hike Maxthegirl, I am doing a SOBO thru hike in September as well, early Sept.

My gear selection would probably not help you much as I am going ultralightweight, however on my entire Appalachian Trail thru hike I never once used rain pants and sent them home in Virginia. Just a personal choice.

Good choice with the Osprey pack, I love both of mine and will be using the Osprey Hornet 32 on this hike.

Have fun!

Comfortable footwear that isn't heavy and won't cause blisters is essential. People with big boots tend to hate them after awhile on the long trail, I found
    I went with light hikers and that was pretty optimal for me.

Water treatment is pretty easy. Either a filter or chemical treatment is fine. I used drops and that was no problem. Ask people that you pass on the trail about upcoming water sources

Using shelters with a light tent for backup is pretty good. Or you can use the tent if you sleep better that way

If you can work your resupply so that you don't carry a ton of food for the biggest climbs and descents, that will help you out a lot. Not always possible though

have fun

Treat yourself to a copy of Jan Leitschuh's "The Ordinary Adventurer: Hiking Vermont's Long Trail"
    ISBN 10: 0979708109
    ISBN 13: 978-0979708107
    Copies both new and used are extremely expensive at Amazon; maybe a local bookstore or library has one.

Quote Originally Posted by maxthegirl:1316703

When are you heading out on the LT? I am thinking about doing an end to end hike at some point this fall as well.
    As far as gear, try to stay as comfortable as possible while maintaining the lowest weight to make hiking a bit easier. If you'd like me to send you my gear list, PM me and ill send it your way. Or Hell, you may be seeing me out on the LT if I get motivated!

++ New Posts ++