WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Coldest temps to expect for Dennis Cove to Erwin hike in May?

What are the coldest temps to expect for this section hike? Going in two weeks. If I'm not mistaken, it snowed there either this week or last during the cold snap. Heck it got down to the low 30s here in N. Alabama. I'm just wondering if I'd be okay with cold weather clothes, a bag liner and a 45 degree bag (emergency blanket just in case). I have a 15 degree, but it is much heavier. I sleep cold, BTW.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

The average low in mid-may in Erwin is 50 degrees. The mountains between Dennis Cove and Erwin rise anywhere from 3000-4000 feet above Erwin. If you subtract 3.5 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation gain, that means average lows in the mountains during your trip should be around 10-14 degrees colder than in Erwin. I'm a cold sleeper and I wouldn't trust my 45 degree bag in weather averaging 35-40 degree lows. You might get lucky and hit a warm front, but then again, you might not ....

Either way, enjoy your trip!

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Images

Default 45-degree bag NOT enough

Heck, I found that at elevations in GA and NC, a 45-degree bag is not enough in July and August. Those nights get cold and damp.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Heck, I found that at elevations in GA and NC, a 45-degree bag is not enough in July and August. Those nights get cold and damp.

RainMan

Uh-Oh! Hope my 55 degree bag'll be enough. YIKES
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man

RainMan

I'll second that, Rain Man. I've seen 35F on a summer night in the Southern Appalachians up near 5000 ft. I don't think it really ever warms up as far as the nights go.

Expect below freezing temperatures any time in the Southern Appalachians anytime before Memorial Day.

Images

I'll go with the 15 degree bag then. I went on my first section hike last October between Hot Springs and the NOC, and the 15 degree bag seemed to be too warm. I expected it to be much colder than it was, but I guess it was just a mild fall with all the hurricanes.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

The last week has been very very chilly and wet.
    So May may be as well.

++ New Posts ++