WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I see, said the blind man
    ... as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Well, now that I'm in it ... I don't know what to say ... except people should avoid doing things that bring in the state to control or curb their actions.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    ... as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Well, now that I'm in it ... I don't know what to say ... except people should avoid doing things that bring in the state to control or curb their actions.
    That;s an excellent point...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    I don't see TOW, Lone Wolf, myself or anyone else screaming or ridiculing this woman. It is far too sad and serious a situation for ridicule.

This goes way beyond "trail ethics." Trail ethics involve not pitching your tent in the shelter, having the courtesy to dig cat holes, and being considerate of others on the trail. No one on this forum is going to teach this woman to care that her 11-yr old is missing on the trail or give her the wisdom to know that if you can't feed your 5 children and keep them in shoes - you might consider going home.

This woman needs more help than the hiking community can give her. This isn't just about money, but rather about ethics and the extremely poor choices she is making. It is about 5 kids on the trail who are in harm's way. We can't teach this woman about caring for her children or not stiffing a town who has helped her out or making sure that you have food and shoes before you spend $600+ in gear. Normally all this wouldn't be open for discussion, but when the hiking community and hostels and towns ahead are going to encounter this woman - IMO there is nothing wrong with Lone Wolf, TOW and others from Damascus letting others know about their experience. Especially Lone Wolf as he spent many hours making sure that this young boy was safe - only to encounter a mother who didn't seem to care.
    From what I have picked up reading this post, I think this is accurate. The whole notion of being able to practice "trail ethics" is based on someone being a "reasonable person." Reasonable and mostly well-intentioned hikers can learn and practice trail ethics. It seems that this person isn't really reasonable or what the community thinks of as a "hiker" or "backpacker." She almost falls in the category of "sketchy person on the trail." She might have (or have had) good intentions but it seems that now, unless someone out there is willing to essentially adopt her and her kids and provide good gear and support with money, she will continue to cause problems for herself, her kids, and the trail community. She probably needs to just get off the trail.

Well since this thread was started all i have read is how a bad mother this lady is and some body is whinning about loosing a few missly dollars in damascus.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Well since this thread was started all i have read is how a bad mother this lady is and some body is whinning about loosing a few missly dollars in damascus.
    I think it's about how irresponsible it is to go out on the trail with 6 children without proper gear and money! I don't think anyone is whining about the loss of a "few miserly dollars", it's about wandering around without ANY money to feed her children. The woman sounds mentally ill, seems like she might be manic-depressive or bipolar.

So were are a bunch of doctors now. The only person i have read in this thread so far that is trying to help this mother and her children is Lone Wolf. That is really SAD.

So were are a bunch of doctors now. The only person i have read in this thread so far that is trying to help this mother and her children is Lone Wolf. That is really SAD.
    Read all these posts again. And then read what Lone Wolf himself posted. I'm not trying to put words in his mouth (OK - sorry, I probably am), but the impression that I got was that even Lone Wolf himself was pretty disgusted in how little this mother seemed to care that her young child was out there at night alone; that this mother needs to become responsible before someone in the family is hurt.

It is sad. But instead of judging us for being horrified about the actions of this woman - you are fairly close and just finished the trail. Why don't you go to this family and see if you can guide them along the trail? Because more money won't help protect those kids. Nothing short of a guide is going to help them. Or perhaps a series of "trail angel guides" who will support them.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

With all the knowledge of this group that you (LW and TOW) have, what would be your best guess about when they would or did reach Grayson Highlands and the ponies? How about Fox Creek, Dickey Gap, Trimpi Shelter? Are you able to guess their miles per day? And when did they leave Damascus? I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks, Sawnie
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

And I would like to know exactly where they are now, also. And about how fast they are traveling. I plan to hike in Southwestern Va within the next 2 months, and I really don't want to run into them.

Thanks for any information about their whereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by bessiebreeze View Post
    And I would like to know exactly where they are now, also. And about how fast they are traveling. I plan to hike in Southwestern Va within the next 2 months, and I really don't want to run into them.

Might be difficult to predict their whereabouts over the next "two months" AND AS STATED IN AN EARLIER POST, dangerous to the kids. Sounds like you want a weekly update and the safety and privacy of the family be darned. How about this, why don't you give us details of your hike, some of us may want to avoid running into you.

I would rather hike and shelter with this family than with most of you guys, and i would probably alot safer too.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    With all the knowledge of this group that you (LW and TOW) have, what would be your best guess about when they would or did reach Grayson Highlands and the ponies? How about Fox Creek, Dickey Gap, Trimpi Shelter? Are you able to guess their miles per day? And when did they leave Damascus? I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks, Sawnie
    Quote Originally Posted by bessiebreeze View Post

i'm not posting their whereabouts

Images

I would rather hike and shelter with this family than with most of you guys, and i would probably alot safer too.
    Well said.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ​I think you already did.

Journal Entries
    Images

And we would probably enjoy that as well.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ditto that...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This site has a long history of passing judgement. I like when people with first hand knowledge post their concerns or tell us of legitimate issues, but usually the call to action is led by folks who have no information to go on other than what they've read on the Internet. If you recall, in the last year a bunch of Internet experts from this site also decided that they solved a murder based soley on posts they read on WB
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Whatever we think/say about "Cheer Bear," I am sure she loves her kids. She may not be doing what is best for them, but I do not question her love for them. Some people do not always make the best choices, and they often use poor judgement. Hopefully, nothing tragic comes of that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This site has a long history of passing judgement. I like when people with first hand knowledge post their concerns or tell us of legitimate issues, but usually the call to action is led by folks who have no information to go on other than what they've read on the Internet. If you recall, in the last year a bunch of Internet experts from this site also decided that they solved a murder based soley on posts they read on WB
    Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Whatever we think/say about "Cheer Bear," I am sure she loves her kids. She may not be doing what is best for them, but I do not question her love for them. Some people do not always make the best choices, and they often use poor judgement. Hopefully, nothing tragic comes of that.
    That's right Sarc... Sgt Rock was that suspect, what a bunch of ditwits.... and I agree with ya shelb...

Images

Is she taking care of her kids to a "normal" standard? No.

Is it morally acceptable to sponge off other people and The System while hiking, or at home, for that matter? No.

But people in this country have the right to have a zillion kids, even if they don't have the resources to care for them. Throwing those kids into the foster care system is almost never an improvement in their lives. The best thing for us outsiders to do is help the kids, if we are moved to, and butt out if we are not.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++