WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Is she taking care of her kids to a "normal" standard? No.

Is it morally acceptable to sponge off other people and The System while hiking, or at home, for that matter? No.

But people in this country have the right to have a zillion kids, even if they don't have the resources to care for them. Throwing those kids into the foster care system is almost never an improvement in their lives. The best thing for us outsiders to do is help the kids, if we are moved to, and butt out if we are not.
    Well said, Marta.
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Too bad this family isn't homeless; then everything would be A-OK.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Too bad this family isn't homeless; then everything would be A-OK.
    Or illegal.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    But people in this country have the right to have a zillion kids, even if they don't have the resources to care for them. Throwing those kids into the foster care system is almost never an improvement in their lives. The best thing for us outsiders to do is help the kids, if we are moved to, and butt out if we are not.
    Or you can just throw them kids into plastic storage boxes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...wpisrc=nl_most

Ohio couple charged with forcing children into plastic storage boxes as punishment

An Ohio couple were charged this week with punishing their three children by forcing them into plastic boxes sealed with duct tape and only a square cut in the top for air.

The children, ages 5, 6 and 8, were crammed into the boxes as punishment June 16 at the family home in Steubenville while the parents went to the grocery store and left two uncles at home with them, a prosecutor said. A friend of the family arrived at the house, got the children out of the boxes and contacted police.
    The children “were all basically demonstrating (for authorities) that they were curled up in the fetal position, laying in their backs,” prosecutor Jeffrey J. Bruzzese said.

The children were in the boxes for about 15 to 30 minutes, with square holes cut out of the lids to expose the top part of their faces. There was no indication they had been put in the boxes before, but it was part of a cycle of abuse by the parents that included having weights dropped on their feet, Bruzzese said.

The children have been removed from the home and are in good health, the prosecutor said.

James Allen Taylor, 29, and stepmother Samantha Marie Taylor, 26, were indicted this week by a Jefferson County grand jury on charges of endangering children, a felony, and unlawful restraint, a misdemeanor. Each also faced another felony endangering count related to “ongoing corporal punishment practices of the family.”

It wasn’t clear Friday whether the couple had attorneys, and a working phone number for them couldn’t be found.

The two uncles were also indicted. Bruzzese said they helped put the children in the boxes, with one of them cutting the air holes.

Steubenville is on the Ohio-West Virginia border, about 150 miles east of Columbus.

Images

Wow. Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Or you can just throw them kids into plastic storage boxes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...wpisrc=nl_most

Ohio couple charged with forcing children into plastic storage boxes as punishment

An Ohio couple were charged this week with punishing their three children by forcing them into plastic boxes sealed with duct tape and only a square cut in the top for air.

The children, ages 5, 6 and 8, were crammed into the boxes as punishment June 16 at the family home in Steubenville while the parents went to the grocery store and left two uncles at home with them, a prosecutor said. A friend of the family arrived at the house, got the children out of the boxes and contacted police.
    The children “were all basically demonstrating (for authorities) that they were curled up in the fetal position, laying in their backs,” prosecutor Jeffrey J. Bruzzese said.

The children were in the boxes for about 15 to 30 minutes, with square holes cut out of the lids to expose the top part of their faces. There was no indication they had been put in the boxes before, but it was part of a cycle of abuse by the parents that included having weights dropped on their feet, Bruzzese said.

The children have been removed from the home and are in good health, the prosecutor said.

James Allen Taylor, 29, and stepmother Samantha Marie Taylor, 26, were indicted this week by a Jefferson County grand jury on charges of endangering children, a felony, and unlawful restraint, a misdemeanor. Each also faced another felony endangering count related to “ongoing corporal punishment practices of the family.”

It wasn’t clear Friday whether the couple had attorneys, and a working phone number for them couldn’t be found.

The two uncles were also indicted. Bruzzese said they helped put the children in the boxes, with one of them cutting the air holes.

Steubenville is on the Ohio-West Virginia border, about 150 miles east of Columbus.
    Bull whip all four of these lousy excuses of humanity.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

This is the story of the rescue before they got to Damascus:
    Missing teenager found

Matthew Hundley / ([email protected])
    Around 2 a.m. on Saturday, July 28, Avery County Sheriff’s Office received word of a missing 16-year-old boy who became separated from his mother while hiking on the Appalachian Trail, according to Avery County Sheriff Kevin Frye.

“He was walking ahead of his mother. Apparently, that was something that was not unusual. He was good about going to the next shelter and waiting,” said Frye, explaining how the mother and child were separated. “She got there and he was not there.” Because of sparse cell phone service, it was late at night before the mother was able to contact the authorities,

“There is no way to look for anyone that late at night and be successful, so we started first thing in the morning,” said Frye, who explained that the boy was found by Carter County authorities at Dennis Cove Falls, near Watauga Lake around noon on Saturday, July 28. “He had walked approximately 20 miles from where he was last seen,” said Frye.

The boy was found in good condition. According to Frye, the success of the rescue was due in part to the massive pooling of resources from all nearby agencies.

“It was a huge collaboration effort between the our fire departments, our rescue squads, sheriff’s offices, U.S. Forest Service and Carter County Rescue Squad,” said Frye. A North Carolina Highway Patrol helicopter was also brought in to assist with the search.

“We are blessed that we have resources like that in our county that allow situations like this to be handled as well as they are,” said Frye.

http://averyjournal.com/News/story/M...ound-id-010177
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    “It was a huge collaboration effort between the our fire departments, our rescue squads, sheriff’s offices, U.S. Forest Service and Carter County Rescue Squad,” said Frye. A North Carolina Highway Patrol helicopter was also brought in to assist with the search.
    No doubt it was a huge collaborated effort, but what was he rescued from? They're still out there hiking so they can't be that bad off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    No doubt it was a huge collaborated effort, but what was he rescued from? Unless I'm mistaken it's not like he was actually lost, and wandered off the trail. They're still out there hiking so they can't be that bad off.
    the kid is autistic. he could've gone down a road or started bushwhacking. less than a week later her 11 year old got separated from the group and me and a cop had to hunt down mom

No doubt it was a huge collaborated effort, but what was he rescued from? They're still out there hiking so they can't be that bad off.
    If we could only know what would have happened. All I know is that if I were missing a kid I wouldn't have been so carefree.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    If we could only know what would have happened. All I know is that if I were missing a kid I wouldn't have been so carefree.
    last thursday night when i found her she wasn't very concerned about the 11 year old she hadn't seen in 9 hours. very strange. didn't ask if he was hungry, thirsty, tired, injured. nothing

Images

It sounds like the kids who need the most "mom time" are the ones who are left on their own. Just my two cents, but this is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the kid is autistic. he could've gone down a road or started bushwhacking. less than a week later her 11 year old got separated from the group and me and a cop had to hunt down mom
    OK, the family has had two run-ins with the authorities and they're still out on the trail. Do you have any idea where they're from and if it's a better environment? I doubt the kids would prefer being under custody of child services.

OK, the family has had two run-ins with the authorities and they're still out on the trail. Do you have any idea where they're from and if it's a better environment?
    whatever sly. once again you don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    whatever sly. once again you don't get it
    No I probably don't get it. Do you get it? What's your answer besides out of sight, out of mind?

You are correct Sly, she should have never called 911.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You are correct Sly, she should have never called 911.
    I didn't say that, I just disagreed with the wording in your article.

Definition of RESCUE
    transitive verb
    : to free from confinement, danger, or evil : save, deliver: asa : to take (as a prisoner) forcibly from custodyb : to recover (as a prize) by forcec : to deliver (as a place under siege) by armed force

I realize everyone is worried about the kids, I'm just saying no matter how bad it looks, it could be worse. Has anyone asked the kids what they think?

I didn't say that, I just disagreed with the wording in your article.

Definition of RESCUE
    transitive verb
    : to free from confinement, danger, or evil : save, deliver: asa : to take (as a prisoner) forcibly from custodyb : to recover (as a prize) by forcec : to deliver (as a place under siege) by armed force

I realize everyone is worried about the kids, I'm just saying no matter how bad it looks, it could be worse. Has anyone asked the kids what they think?

I have wondered what the conditions are 'back home.' You never know... whatever they're dealing with on the Trail, what they've left behind might be much worse.
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

I used to be very proud to be part of the AT community and every thing it stood for, but after reading all the post on this thread i am pretty damn ashamed to be part of this and the AT community. So have a very nice day.
    I Will Be donating to this lady and her children.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I Will Be donating to this lady and her children.
    donating what exactly?

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++