WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Maine Hikers Attetion Please!

How often did you get to resupply in Maine? How did you resupply(postal drop/store)? I very much appreciate any answers. God Bless!

Quote Originally Posted by Pappa Green Jeans
    How often did you get to resupply in Maine? How did you resupply(postal drop/store)? I very much appreciate any answers. God Bless!
    Search Baltimore Jack's posts. He has an excellent list of resupply points for the entire trail.

Default found in WB "Featured Articles" section

Click here for Baltimore Jack's 2005 resupply info covering Maine.

Talking thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Click here for Baltimore Jack's 2005 resupply info covering Maine.
    Thankyou. I'm looking for something layed out with better structure; more like data. I suppose I'll just need to order the data book now, I was just looking for something to look at on the internet while I'm without a data book on the Maine AT. I need to hurry and get my postal drops planned out for this summer.

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

I know you said you are on a tight budget, so if you are looking for 'data', take alook at the Online Companion. Hope that helps . . .
    - Tramper Al

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

After resupplying in Gorham, NH, I stopped two days later in Andover, ME, to resupply, then a day and a half later at Rangely, ME, for resupply and a movie, then the next day at Stratton, ME, for resupply and library, then Caratunk, ME (on the Trail) for some goodies at the Caratunk House two days later, then Monson, ME, a day after that, then into Millinocket, ME, five days later to eat a nice restaurant meal before summiting Katahdin. I loved Maine because only in the Wilderness did I have to carry more than a day and a half of food. The hitches were easy. Maine was fun (when it wasn't raining and the trail wasn't knee-deep in running water).

Haiku.

Default Resupply in Maine

In general, towns in Maine are a long ways off the AT. So, your decision focus on how far off the trail do you want to go, and how often do you want to resupply.

Let's assume that everyone resupplies in Gorham NH. On the other end, I suspect that everyone goes into Monson before starting the 100 miles. So, everyone resupplies there.

Before Monson, the AT goes close to Caratunk, but no store there anymore. Caratunk House used to stock backpacker type food, but may not at present. Sure thing is to send a small mail drop to the Post Office there.

Going further south, there is Stratton and Rangely, both several miles off the AT, and thus, require a hitch. You may decide to resupply at one or the other towns, or both.

Further south, many people hitch into Andover for resupply. However, it depends in part on how much food you carry out of Gorham.

I'd say, that as a minimum, you will want to resupply at Gorham, Rangely, Caratunk, and Monson. Another resupply sequence is Gorham, Andover, Stratton, and Monson. However, many thru-hikers resupply more often.

Likewise, you need to decide if you want to resupply at Whitehouse Landing or hike through the 100 Miles without resupply.

Before Monson, the AT goes close to Caratunk, but no store there anymore. Caratunk House used to stock backpacker type food, but may not at present. Sure thing is to send a small mail drop to the Post Office there.
    Steve 'The Ferryman' Longley's store is about a mile north of the AT in Caratunk, and stocks supplies and munchies with the thru-hiker in mind. Excellent for short term resupply. The Caratunk House has closed for good. Sending a drop to the P.O. is always best for small towns, but be sure you know the hours that the window, not just the lobby, will be open. Do NOT try to bounce a maildrop between Caratunk and Monson - you will get there long before your bounce box will.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++