WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Southern NC climate question

Planning a Section from Rock Gap to Fontana in late September, and trying to plan (not commit) for temperature expectations. I have been using this link to follow the extended forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...C+081102:13:US. This is for Robbinsville, NC.

My question is that Robbinsville sits at abotu 2050'. How much cooler should I expect to find on the adjacent AT section? Tentative campsites are at 5000', 5000', NOC, 4000', and 3000'. Any ideas how those altitudes might compare to the Robbinsville forecast?
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Journal Entries
    Images

I read or heard somewhere temp changes 7.7 or 3.17 degrees every 1000'. I was in the same spot late May and was certainly not cold. I think the mornings were high 50's if I remember right. I expect early to mid September would be warmer.

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    7.7 or 3.17 degrees every 1000'. Ickybod
    I meant to type 3.7 or 3.17

Happy hiking!
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

In meteorology, the general rule is 5°F/1000' or 3°C/1000' of altitude. But this assumes straight up in the atmosphere, away from the earth, where ground warming is not so much of a factor. I have always assumed that when looking at elevation while still in contact with the ground, it would be less, especially in the summer or fall when the days are longer and warming by the sun can have a greater impact.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

The day before you leave check the forcast for the western NC area and subtract 10 degrees from that and that should give you a pretty good idea what to exspect. september is the begining of the Fall season so exspect the Temps to be in the 55-65 degree range for days and low 40s upper 30s for nights.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/weather.htm - average temperatures at the top of Clingman's Dome and Gatlinburg. Also notice the rain differences even though Clingman's Dome is just 12 miles or so from Gatlinburg.

Don't know too much about the science of themperature and altitude. I would bring my 40 degree bag and a jacket. Expect it to be warm and green.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Don't know too much about the science of themperature and altitude. I would bring my 40 degree bag and a jacket. Expect it to be warm and green.
    Best answer yet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Best answer yet!
    Warm and green or cold, windy and gray - - I would say that this summer's warm temperatures might lull you into thinking that the NC Mountains are warm - - Joyce Kilmer Forest is only about 50 miles west of Stecoah Gap and I've spent nights there in the 40s in July. September can be a transitional month on the AT in NC. I would suggest that you will probably hike in shorts and a t-shirt. I always bring a rain jacket, a fleece or wool hat, a light sweater, and mid-weight long underwear for sleeping. You don't need any "extra" clothing beyond this. Since you are only doing a section, you have the added luxury of checking the weather in Robbinsville, NC and Franklin, NC before you go.

++ New Posts ++