WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ...mouldering privy info...

....well.....seems like paw and i (maw....i'm posting here) brought home a new "wish" from the trail this year.....we want to construct a mouldering privy on our property!....can anyone recommend resources/info for construction?....(love the privy at upper goose pond cabin!)........thanks!

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Unless anyone is able to post info off the top of their head, I'd rely on good old Google. I Googled "mouldering privy design" and got a crapload of hits. HUGE pun intended there.

KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I talked with someone in the publishing process (editor maybe) of this author and he was well informed on the topic so I can only assume the book is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Composting-Toi...3951635&sr=1-1

I have never read this book but It looks like good material if you are wanting a more advanced AMC hut style system.

thanks, moytoy!.....wow!....an entire manual!.....this will help tremendously!

....yep....a lot of different "models" out there on the trail......wondering about "composting" vs "mouldering"....seems like mouldering is the least expensive way to go

"The Humanure Handbook" by Joe Jenkins is a great read if you are interested in the subject. The author reccomends and uses a cheap homemade cartage system indoors though also shows several designs for other styles many of which are applicable to a privy. We used the indoor cartage system in our cabin in NH and it works great and cost next to nothing. The principle's outlined can be used in any system. These are composting sytems. I am not 100% sure about the semantic difference between composting and mouldering. I think that mouldering systems do not monitor the compost temps to assure thermophylic composting and therefore the product is not agricultural grade and needs to sit longer to take care of most bacteria etc. Do not let the high priced commercial composting units scare you off they are not the only way to "compost".

The difference is just what you said. Moldering uses low temp so that live worms and such can live and feed. Where as composting uses high temp. to rot the waste. The advantage of moldering is that much less human intervention in the process and thus is safer. Pros and Cons with both systems.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

http://atfiles.org/files/pdf/atcsanitation.pdf

Try this .pdf
    A pound of red wigglers can be bought over the internet for cheap.

Why on earth would someone want a privy on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Because, in some areas, you can

I built one, that is more of a yard ornament but is functional, if you don't want to go into the house.
    It uses a removable bin for waste and a seperate waterpipe.

Also I was inspired to make a better "solar shower" than the ones I had used on the trail.
    Really hot water from this one, with only garden hose for a collector on the roof
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Speaking as someone who volunteers to maintain a moldering privy (Hawk Mt), I can't see building one for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Speaking as someone who volunteers to maintain a moldering privy (Hawk Mt), I can't see building one for fun.
    Good God, you are da man! Thanks for your service. In April of 2010, during the height of thru-hiker season, that privy was so full to the top you couldn't close the lid! It was like a horror show. I don't know how you can do it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by pawee View Post
    ....well.....seems like paw and i (maw....i'm posting here) brought home a new "wish" from the trail this year.....we want to construct a mouldering privy on our property!....can anyone recommend resources/info for construction?....(love the privy at upper goose pond cabin!)........thanks!
    a good starting point would be to get an idea of what kind of a volume you will be dealing with.if it is a small amount perhaps some of the cartage methods mentiond by others might be a good thing to investigate before you build.if not too personal could you share why the decision to build your system?

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Good God, you are da man! Thanks for your service. In April of 2010, during the height of thru-hiker season, that privy was so full to the top you couldn't close the lid! It was like a horror show. I don't know how you can do it. Thanks again.
    Yet another reason to SOBO.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the hard work it takes to maintain those.

Unfortunatly the ones on the trail are usually fouled with trash.
    They are also used a whole lot more than one or two people using a privy for a whole year do.
    When the waste accumulates so fast it does not get a chance to break down properly and is a real mess to deal with.
    In a smaller operation there is very little to do to maintain it, stir occasionally and add duff as used.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

i would thank a moldering privy for personal use would last for every if you made it large enough.

The mouldering setup with the red wrigglers is good for making gardening material into leaf mould for the garden mulch.

Make use of your friends:

earthworm.jpg
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++