WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    In the scheme of life, a thru-hike is pretty trivial. Do it or not, it's your choice. Either way, regret is a choice too.
    love this, thanks Chief.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post
    I was searching for motivation, not a herd of "naysayers" doing the exact opposite. It baffles me that so many people would log on here just to dump a bunch of negativity and try to dissuade a fellow young nature lover from doing something that they claim has had such a positive effect on their lives.

P.S. (I have backpacked a week by himself before, and have pulled a 20 mile day before)
    Well it baffles me why a nature lover would log on here looking for "motivation" when they love nature so much, and then be so preplexed when people say you shouldnt go if you looking for motivation... but then understood you are 23 yearsold and have no idea what your talking about..

Images

So when you were preparing for a thru-hike you were 100% on board, didn't ask anybody's advice, and had no doubts....
    Actually, this is true for me. I don't mean this in a negative way... I just have never been one to rely on other people to tell me what they think I should do. When I make up my mind to do something, then I am 100% on board, I may ask for advice as to the best way to approach the planning process. I might ask for advice regarding gear, but I certainly would not ask others to make my decision for me.

If you are having doubts, then maybe this is not the best time for you to undertake a thru-hike. Maybe section hiking might be a better way for you to make up your mind.

Again, I do not mean to rain on your parade. Just stating how it is for me.

Go on a one week hike on the North Country Trail which isn't that far from Akron. While nowhere near as hard as the AT, if you go a week on that and still have the desire to do the AT, then go for it. Plus it would be a good shakedown hike to get your gear right.

So when you were preparing for a thru-hike you were 100% on board, didn't ask anybody's advice, and had no doubts....
    Absolutely 100% on board. Thru-hiking was something I had wanted to do ever since I first learned about the AT as a kid. As for asking advice, I asked plenty of questions about the logistics of thru-hjking, but not about whether or not it was something I wanted to do (But I've been hiking and backpacking ever since I was a Boy Scout back in the dark ages of canvas tents and backpacks, so I had a lot of confidence in my expectations and abilities). And when it comes to doubts, well there were always doubts about how the reality of the hike would compare to the expectation, and doubts about whether I was physically capable of finishing the hike (I almost didn't because my knees gave out; I limped up and down Katahdin). Even after hiking for 6 months and 9 days, while climbing Katahdin on the last morning, I was thinking that I could still fall and break a leg, and fail to complete my hike. There are doubts right up until the last moment when it is finally over, but those doubts were never about whether or not I wanted to do it. Maybe that's because I had been dreaming about it for twice as long as you've been alive (well, not quite but almost). Maybe I'd just dreamed the dream for so long that I had already resolved those doubts that you are still dealing with. But ultimately, the motivation has to come from yourself. You're not going to complete a thru-hike because somebody else wants you to, it has to be because you want to do it, and for the time being at least it is the most important thing in your life. That's the only way you are going to get up every day and walk for 8 or 10 hours, day after day after day, whether it's hot or raining, buggy, muddy, or whatever, no matter how hungry and dirty and home-sick and mosquito-bitten you are. (The glorious days -- and oh how glorious they are! -- will take care of themselves; the tough days are left for you to deal with).
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Thanks again everyone, I know I have the motivation and desire to do a thru-hike one day. I have just never even talked to anybody who has even backpacked the trail before. So I found this forum and decided to ask some questions, probably should have worded my original post better to stress the seriousness of my determination. really I just wanted to hear from people who have actually done it and would have wise things to say. From everyones advice, I believe that "finishing" the AT is not a specific goal of mine, I have no goal really for the trip I wish to go on. What I want is an extended journey, living in nature, and enjoying the solitude; seperating myself from the hustle & bustle to find some meaning whether it is "I hate the woods, it's wet cold and lonely thank god for civilization i'll never do this again" or if it revitalizes a new spirit in me. Either outcome is desirable to me; because I strongly believe that stagnation, fear, not stepping out of one's boundairies is the root of many people's issues. I am sure that either finding it to be the best trip ever or the worst trip ever my life will still be profoundly affected by it, gaining knowledge, confidence, and determination to make other big steps/chances in life.

Registered User grmtone@gmail.com's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hi Elli:

I am a 71 yo that is going to start in March. The things you will miss out on will be there when you get back. It will be a challenge to start out in Georgia and finish in Maine, but what an accomplishment to put in you book of "Look what I have done!" You have to have the attitude for it, however, or you won't complete it. I highly recommend starting. My understanding on money, other than your gear, you will need around 3000 dollars. Takes roughly 3/4 pairs of boots that would need to be broken in before you leave. I am so looking forward to getting started. Takes a lot of research and planning to do the hike, so if you are serious, do your due diligence and do your research and planning. Good luck to you. Taz, or Marty

Images

"Life is only as interesting as your next adventure. - "Lead Dog" How interesting do want your life to be?
    Think about what you would want written on your tombstone...and live in reverse to make it so. To be great you must do great things.
    A thru hike is a great sacrifice....and so is saying good bye to your dreams. I hope this gets you thinking and i dare you to live a life fulfilled.

Images

Thanks again everyone, I know I have the motivation and desire to do a thru-hike one day. I have just never even talked to anybody who has even backpacked the trail before. So I found this forum and decided to ask some questions, probably should have worded my original post better to stress the seriousness of my determination. really I just wanted to hear from people who have actually done it and would have wise things to say. From everyones advice, I believe that "finishing" the AT is not a specific goal of mine, I have no goal really for the trip I wish to go on. What I want is an extended journey, living in nature, and enjoying the solitude; seperating myself from the hustle & bustle to find some meaning whether it is "I hate the woods, it's wet cold and lonely thank god for civilization i'll never do this again" or if it revitalizes a new spirit in me. Either outcome is desirable to me; because I strongly believe that stagnation, fear, not stepping out of one's boundairies is the root of many people's issues. I am sure that either finding it to be the best trip ever or the worst trip ever my life will still be profoundly affected by it, gaining knowledge, confidence, and determination to make other big steps/chances in life.
    Wow - the tone of this post is much different than your original one. Sounds like you might have the makings of a thru-hiker. I posted earlier about a "test hike". Since it sounds like you are a bit of a newbie, a week in the woods would really help you figure some things out including how to go about being a long distance hiker and whether you like it or not. From Akron, OH, you are about 5 1/2 to 6 hours from the AT in PA. PA has a reputation of being rocky (well deserved) and of not being so pretty (not so well deserved) - PA is a great state to hike in. Maybe you could start a hike around Deleware Water Gap - there is an outfitter store there called Edge of the Woods - the offer AT hiker shuttles too. Here is the number (570) 421-6681

Images

I have always dreamed of doing a thru-hike. I guess the only thing holding me back is escaping life for such long stretch of time. I am graduating next spring (2013) from college and really want to do it, but "will I regret being gone for 4-6 months?" "what opportunities will I miss out on if I go?"... these are the questions I keep hearing that are keeping me from committing. Any motivational words-of-wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of money should i expect to save up if I do decide to commit?
    My experience in life is, if you're asking for motivation, you'll never finish successfully so don't bother.

It's a "those who can" sort of thing...

listen I don't mean to be rude, but I was searching for motivation, not a herd of "naysayers" doing the exact opposite. It baffles me that so many people would log on here just to dump a bunch of negativity and try to dissuade a fellow young nature lover from doing something that they claim has had such a positive effect on their lives.

P.S. (I have backpacked a week by himself before, and have pulled a 20 mile day before)

But thanks again to everyone who has been helpful
    just do it and quit with the drama already

Just remember that sometimes the windows do close and you sit looking out wondering, "what if..." This isn't something that you can just decide to do later. A one-week test hike is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just do it and quit with the drama already
    I LOLed ....

physical conditioning or equipment wont get you to maine, only your desire and determination, get right with your head and go for it

Journal Entries
    Images

.....no.....
    David Smolinski

A thru truly pushes the average persons boundaries! I saw a lot of people whom have NO backpacking experience make it...its about ones self desire...the drive to finish the thing as a goal through good times and bad. If you are looking for an adventure, to push beyond what you do and know, and to have the time and space for contemplation, self reliance, friendship, and self satisfaction...then start with that initial first step onto the AT. Some find themselves and are modified by it, and some are disappointed about what they learn of themselves and many others are just plain oblivious.

Default Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    My experience in life is, if you're asking for motivation, you'll never finish successfully so don't bother.

It's a "those who can" sort of thing...
    Found this old thread I started almost a decade ago, it is hilarious how many ******** were here.

Found this old thread I started almost a decade ago, it is hilarious how many ******** were here.
    So, did you ever go on a hike or what?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

When you post that kinda question you get what you get. Suck it up butter cup! Probably didn't thru hike or probably would have done bragged about it. You know it's yall's fault for being such ********! I'm one of the new ********!
    Last edited by JNI64; 02-06-2020 at 08:55.

There is no doubt there's at least one here now. You should take a hike buddy.
    It is what it is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++