WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Will someone please help motivate me to do a thru-hike!

I have always dreamed of doing a thru-hike. I guess the only thing holding me back is escaping life for such long stretch of time. I am graduating next spring (2013) from college and really want to do it, but "will I regret being gone for 4-6 months?" "what opportunities will I miss out on if I go?"... these are the questions I keep hearing that are keeping me from committing. Any motivational words-of-wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of money should i expect to save up if I do decide to commit?

dreams and reality are two different things. start with $5000

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dreams and reality are two different things. start with $5000
    Man, I'm starting to get the hang of agreeing with Lone Wolf thing - I'd say he's spot on for the average thru-hike cost which is still A LOT less than most people spend in 5 months.

The faster you are and the more you stay on the trail and out of towns, the cheaper it is.

There are deviations but the normal range would be $2,500 (bare bones minimum - swim vs shower, very cheap) to $10,000 (also known as platinum blazing).

I'd also agree with most - - a thru hike is super hard and super committing - most self motivators that start don't make it - if you need us to talk you into it, you are starting with a big handicap
    Last edited by Papa D; 08-06-2012 at 18:42.

Images

If you are worried then you need to know that everything you have worked for will still be there when you get back.. And think how good it will look when your future employer say's what have you been doing for the past six months and you say I Hiked The AT A 2175 Mile Trail From Main To Georgia... To Me that would show dedication...And Drive...But I don't know anything, My wife and I are planning a thru in 2013..Good luck with deciding what to do.. Im right there with Ya..Just My opinion..
    Kibble's n Bit's

less is best with words of wisdom...thank you for the reply! seems like a reasonable amount of money.

Sorry I was trying to reply to one specific post, was not intended for all. It really is amazing how many replies I have received, this is awesome THANK YOU ALL!

You must do a thru-hike and you must bring lots of money. You must do this. Go Go Go. Commit, commit, commit. You must.
    I hope this helps. I hope it's convincing.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

If you have the money and opportunity to do this now and don't you will regret it. Life happens and you may think you will have time later. It's a big gamble.

"20 years from now you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did"....just do it!

Yeah go have lot of fun and enjoy your self. if you don't you will regret it later. but make sure you have money around 3000-5000 dollar range. RED-DOG

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    "20 years from now you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did"....just do it!
    I was just messin' with ya in my earlier post, if you hang around here long enough you'll see I do that sometimes. Character flaw I guess. Anyway I agree with what Sam here says. You more than likely will have regrets. I first set foot on the AT in 1973. The addiction was instantaneous. After that moment it was all I thought about. Every chance I got I went and hiked some part of it. I kept running into thrus and kept saying I want to do that, I gotta do that. But every time greed kicked in and I chose money over my dream and returned to my career, which at that time in my life really wasn't anything that couldn't have been put on hold but like I said greed kicked in. I'm attempting my thru next year at an age and physical condition I'm comfortable with but at the same time has it's limitations and is questionable. If I make it, I make it. If not I'm prepared to attempt it again in 2014. If that doesn't pan out I'm willing to just keep going back and picking up from where I left off and complete it that way. I just want to see the whole thing. I wont say that there isn't a day that goes by that I regret not following my dream when I was younger and more fit and my chances were better but the thought does cross my mind. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have briefly put my life on hold and followed my dream. Listen to your heart when making your decision.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Here is a very short answer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOFDwWv4fk

DVW " Ice Cream "

For my two pennyworth, what do you want written on your gravestone?
    "Worked like a dog till the day he died"
    I don't know about you, but that terrifies me.
    No matter what your endeavour, never forget:
    Theres only one person who can stop you.
    Good luck all. ET

Images

"Life is only as interesting as your next adventure. - "Lead Dog" How interesting do want your life to be?
    Think about what you would want written on your tombstone...and live in reverse to make it so. To be great you must do great things.
    A thru hike is a great sacrifice....and so is saying good bye to your dreams. I hope this gets you thinking and i dare you to live a life fulfilled.

Do it know before elbow's and knee's start making noises! Im hittin the ole 42 when im going north, leaving behind a dang good job, a great career, my wife, house and dog....friends think im nuts...i think im sane.

There will be enough family and friends trying to convince you not to do a thru-hike. If you ain't got the motivation now, their job will be easy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

"You can do it" !!!

and
    to White Blaze

I have hidden the winning Power Ball lottery ticket in a shelter somewhere between Springer and Katahdin. Notify me when you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I have hidden the winning Power Ball lottery ticket in a shelter somewhere between Springer and Katahdin. Notify me when you find it.
    If I thought that were true, I'd be gone by the time I finished writing this post....can I write fortune seaking off on my taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If I thought that were true, I'd be gone by the time I finished writing this post....can I write fortune seaking off on my taxes?
    ask martha stewart........

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++