WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Will someone please help motivate me to do a thru-hike!

I have always dreamed of doing a thru-hike. I guess the only thing holding me back is escaping life for such long stretch of time. I am graduating next spring (2013) from college and really want to do it, but "will I regret being gone for 4-6 months?" "what opportunities will I miss out on if I go?"... these are the questions I keep hearing that are keeping me from committing. Any motivational words-of-wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of money should i expect to save up if I do decide to commit?

dreams and reality are two different things. start with $5000

You must do a thru-hike and you must bring lots of money. You must do this. Go Go Go. Commit, commit, commit. You must.
    I hope this helps. I hope it's convincing.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

If you have the money and opportunity to do this now and don't you will regret it. Life happens and you may think you will have time later. It's a big gamble.

"20 years from now you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did"....just do it!

Yeah go have lot of fun and enjoy your self. if you don't you will regret it later. but make sure you have money around 3000-5000 dollar range. RED-DOG

Do it know before elbow's and knee's start making noises! Im hittin the ole 42 when im going north, leaving behind a dang good job, a great career, my wife, house and dog....friends think im nuts...i think im sane.

There will be enough family and friends trying to convince you not to do a thru-hike. If you ain't got the motivation now, their job will be easy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

"You can do it" !!!

and
    to White Blaze

I have hidden the winning Power Ball lottery ticket in a shelter somewhere between Springer and Katahdin. Notify me when you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I have hidden the winning Power Ball lottery ticket in a shelter somewhere between Springer and Katahdin. Notify me when you find it.
    If I thought that were true, I'd be gone by the time I finished writing this post....can I write fortune seaking off on my taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post
    I have always dreamed of doing a thru-hike. I guess the only thing holding me back is escaping life for such long stretch of time. I am graduating next spring (2013) from college and really want to do it, but "will I regret being gone for 4-6 months?" "what opportunities will I miss out on if I go?"... these are the questions I keep hearing that are keeping me from committing. Any motivational words-of-wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Don't do it. You obviously don't want it bad enough. Just go for however long you are enjoying it, but under no circumstances set yourself up to think it must be a thru-hike of the whole trail or else you are a failure. You don't want to feel like a failure when you decide to leave the trail.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

4 to 6 months is not a long time. The average American probably spends 3 months a year sitting on their couch. You will not miss anything if you thru-hike. You'll think you'll be missing everything when you're tented by yourself at 7PM on a Saturday night, but you won't be missing anything. 4 to 6 months isn't even a year. It's not a long a time.

Quote Originally Posted by A1ien View Post
    4 to 6 months is not a long time. The average American probably spends 3 months a year sitting on their couch. You will not miss anything if you thru-hike. You'll think you'll be missing everything when you're tented by yourself at 7PM on a Saturday night, but you won't be missing anything. 4 to 6 months isn't even a year. It's not a long a time.
    Well, if you live to 60, and we will say -20 years before you think of doing one, that puts us at 40 years of life.

So 40 divided by 6 month segments means a 6 months would be about 1/80 th of a life...so yeah, it's all relative I guess, depends on how you spend the other 79 six month segments.....does that make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Well, if you live to 60, and we will say -20 years before you think of doing one, that puts us at 40 years of life.

So 40 divided by 6 month segments means a 6 months would be about 1/80 th of a life...so yeah, it's all relative I guess, depends on how you spend the other 79 six month segments.....does that make sense.
    Good way of looking at it. And plus, that 1/80th will probably have some sort of decently positive effect on the other 79/80ths of your life spent living without a high level of freedom. What's the worst that could happen? If it sucks it sucks and you go home. If it's great it's great and you're great. If it's OK it's OK and you're fine. And so on.

Images

No one can motivate you to do a thru-hike, or most anything else. I have hiked 1,100 miles of the trail, without the internal motivation and a deep desire to finish the bottom half. it would have been impossible. Cold, hungry, tired, wet wet wet, alone, suffering, and the awesome and unique joy of the Spirit of the Trail....you must find this within yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by Elii Skeans View Post

If you need outside motivation to do a thru-hike, you shouldn't do a thru-hike.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    If you need outside motivation to do a thru-hike, you shouldn't do a thru-hike.
    +1 on this!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

If you need someone else to motivate you you'll end up a statistic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dreams and reality are two different things. start with $5000
    Man, I'm starting to get the hang of agreeing with Lone Wolf thing - I'd say he's spot on for the average thru-hike cost which is still A LOT less than most people spend in 5 months.

The faster you are and the more you stay on the trail and out of towns, the cheaper it is.

There are deviations but the normal range would be $2,500 (bare bones minimum - swim vs shower, very cheap) to $10,000 (also known as platinum blazing).

I'd also agree with most - - a thru hike is super hard and super committing - most self motivators that start don't make it - if you need us to talk you into it, you are starting with a big handicap
    Last edited by Papa D; 08-06-2012 at 18:42.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++