WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default starting from Maine now?

My friend is starting from Maine now for a thru. Is this an odd time to start it?

Actually just about the perfect time (IMHO).....
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Okay cool. I honestly have no idea haha just wondering

All things being equal; your friend will more than likely finish sometime in late December to early January. Cold, snow and ice will prevail even though your friend will be finishing in the South. The Trail will be "quiet" as most people aren't hiking this time of year. Many of the water sources in the mid-Atlantic are already dried up, so the trek becomes more difficult on several levels. Once it turns cold and snow begins to fall and melt; ice becomes a problem in the footpath. Sleeping with gear (wet boots and water bottles so they won't freeze) and the loss of daylight adds to the array of problems as Winter arrives.

Images

Some hostels in the south will be closed when hiking that late in the season. As a result you end up paying more $ for motel rooms.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    My friend is starting from Maine now for a thru. Is this an odd time to start it?
    Is he on white blaze? Will he be posting a journal somewhere? Are you gonna hook up at some point to go hiking with him?

Questions over.....what up dude.

No he dropped out of school (which is his thing) I have a semester full of classes

Considering I'm starting next week, so I don't consider it odd at all. Having already hiked the PCT and having talked to some friends with similar paces who also did the AT after their PCT hike, I'm planning on finishing in mid-December +/- a week.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Considering I'm starting next week, so I don't consider it odd at all. Having already hiked the PCT and having talked to some friends with similar paces who also did the AT after their PCT hike, I'm planning on finishing in mid-December +/- a week.
    Are you planning on blogging? I would love to relive the last five months of my via your blog
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    Are you planning on blogging? I would love to relive the last five months of my via your blog
    I'm posting my AT journal on postholer since I did my PCT journal there and its easy to update from the trail. Should be starting on the 17th.

Starting in late August 2010 I did a section north bound including the 100 Wilderness, I met a few guys starting a thru Sobo. In 2004 I finished a previous section at Springer in early November so I knew what weather was like around then.These guys hoped to finish in December and were going to have winter gear sent even snow shoes to complete. Very few people will be on the trail and sheets over the shelter openings wil be needed if snow is blowing in.

++ New Posts ++