Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-11-2009
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    223

    Default Burrowing the trail

    Last year I tried to swim the trail. Let's just say that didn't go so well. My next adventure is to burrow under the trail. Questions: would you recommend NOBO or SOBO? How deep should I stay in order to LNT? Any orienteering suggestions that will help me stay in line with the trail without having to surface too often. And finally, does anyone know the recipe for dynamite?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Last year I tried to swim the trail. Let's just say that didn't go so well. My next adventure is to burrow under the trail. Questions: would you recommend NOBO or SOBO? How deep should I stay in order to LNT? Any orienteering suggestions that will help me stay in line with the trail without having to surface too often. And finally, does anyone know the recipe for dynamite?
    1200# Ammonium Nitrate & 20 Gallons Diesel + 1 Bic Lighter

    I live down South so I suggest SOBO

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    1200# Ammonium Nitrate & 20 Gallons Diesel + 1 Bic Lighter

    I live down South so I suggest SOBO
    That'd be ANFO, nasty stuff, lotsa punch

    What you want is Tri Nitro Toluene, or TNT, for that crack and fracture, technically speaking though....you would be a miner, and not a hiker, we also all just ended up on a watch list. And the really funny thing, is that this isn't the "Humor Forum" as you'll see shortly.......

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    That'd be ANFO, nasty stuff, lotsa punch

    What you want is Tri Nitro Toluene, or TNT, for that crack and fracture, technically speaking though....you would be a miner, and not a hiker, we also all just ended up on a watch list. And the really funny thing, is that this isn't the "Humor Forum" as you'll see shortly.......
    Do you really think you or I was not already on a watch list? I'm most likely on a few!

  5. #5
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,850
    Images
    7

    Default

    This might be considered "fracking"

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Last year I tried to swim the trail. Let's just say that didn't go so well. My next adventure is to burrow under the trail. Questions: would you recommend NOBO or SOBO? How deep should I stay in order to LNT? Any orienteering suggestions that will help me stay in line with the trail without having to surface too often. And finally, does anyone know the recipe for dynamite?
    an attempt at humor? christ! don't quit the day job. this is worse than that dumb cafe thread

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    an attempt at humor? christ! don't quit the day job. this is worse than that dumb cafe thread
    Not true. The cafe is much worse!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    This might be considered "fracking"
    Right you are "D" and a hot topic these days...Fracking for Natural Gas, and such a new word that my spell check says I've made a mistake in the spelling.....not this time old spell checker....your wrong, and that's why, and that's it......

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Not true. The cafe is much worse!
    really. PG humor just don't work

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Not true. The cafe is much worse!
    I agree, the cafe thread has a life and a ridiculousness all of it's own...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    really. PG humor just don't work
    What's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    What's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....
    i got me a ton from a certain flyin' ace

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1321435
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    What's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....
    i got me a ton from a certain flyin' ace
    Never seen anything like that.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-11-2009
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Thanks for the intel on explosives. Because they sound way too heavy, I'm now considering a burrowing animal, such as a badger or a family of moles. Are there any Pygmy goat breeds that burrow?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i got me a ton from a certain flyin' ace
    Well, did ya get shot down?

  16. #16
    Registered User BigHodag's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-01-2010
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    61
    Posts
    351
    Images
    61

    Default re: Burrowing the trail - use existing subway lines

    Um, if you're doing the trail underground, why aren't you using the National Park subway lines? I'd take the Central line from the Great Smokies to Shenandoah and then change to the blue Eastern line and get off at Katahdin, just before the end of the line at Acadia N.P..

    Here's the National Park Transit System subway map:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/3307399697234952/

    Of course, we all understand if you're perhaps a purist and don't tube blaze.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

    Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

  17. #17
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,435
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    an attempt at humor? christ! don't quit the day job. this is worse than that dumb cafe thread
    Wait - how much can we get away with since the shut down? The rules are clear - and how is that different from this thread?

    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Thanks for the intel on explosives. Because they sound way too heavy, I'm now considering a burrowing animal, such as a badger or a family of moles. Are there any Pygmy goat breeds that burrow?
    yeah there's three fella's in the cafe that look like they crawled out of the dirt.

  19. #19
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    64
    Posts
    5,338
    Images
    25

    Default

    ..................................
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  20. #20
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,861
    Images
    78

    Default

    Oh, that burrowing the trail...


    And here I was thinking that I was gonna get to tell some newb that donkeys aren't allowed on the A.T.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •