WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking poles and airport security

I am traveling to England in a couple of weeks to hike the Coast to Coast trail and I want to take my hiking poles in my carry-on backpack. Anyone have any experience getting hiking poles through airport security? Thanks!

Asked and answered many times here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...es-on-Airplane

Short version is don't risk having your poles confiscated. It's hard arguing with a TSA agent at a security checkpoint. You'll seldom win.
    Last edited by Spokes; 08-07-2012 at 22:03.

Having just read the majority of the airplane policies about what is allowed in carry on and in check in luggage before leaing for my AT Sobo hike, SKI POLES are suppose to be in checked in luggage. Most people at the airport will likely consider hiking poles to be the same thing which isn't surprising since they were originally based on ski poles. I just ended up sending all my gear to Maine via UPS rather then dealing with it, the thought of it going missing through 2 plan transfers and a 3+ hour layover where it will be at the mercy of the luggage handlers, and the checked in luggage chargers that many airlines charge. This isn't much help to you since you are going out of the country.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya move it to check in luggage, just for added security - no rules just right... been there.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++