WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Annoyed after just getting back from the trail

Just got back from a 2 night trip of the Standing Indian Loop trail. On the second day I stopped at Standing Indian Shelter pretty early around 3:00 pm and set up camp, hung my bear bag anticipating the storm that was rolling in. Well the bottom dropped out and there was a terrible storm around 5 and I was by myself in the shelter. At around 5:00 I saw a group of kids running up out of the rain and more and more kept coming, about 40 all in all.

Now I certainly don't fault my fellow hikers for coming in and seeking shelter in a rain storm. What I do mind is that a couple of them ran off with my hiking poles to mark the trail for their other friends (luckily someone picked them up and brought them back) and then for the next 2 hours with standing room only in the shelter I was treated to what amounts to a sermon as this was a church youth group. A bunch of the kids were initiating into whatever their group was and they recited some mantra "I am not ashamed of the gospel of christ...etc." After about an hour of this I finally got fed up and went and crawled in my tent where I could still hear them going on for the next half hour. When they finally headed on they left behind some plastic ponchos, a sock, and other various trash and the entire shelter was muddy and wet.

I don't have a problem with a church youth group taking a trip on the A.T., however not everyone on the trail shares your beliefs, nor do they want to listen to your religious service at the shelter. You may not be ashamed of your lord and savior, but you should be ashamed of taking over a shelter, leaving it a mess, and giving no consideration to your fellow hikers.

Sorry, rant off.

so lesson learned? DO NOT stay in shelters

Images

yea a read to the part where you "crawled in my tent" LOL. i would of been in there right off.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

You should have asked them if they wanted some of your whiskey or ask if they have any rolling papers.Then tell them you have some great weed and like to party hard....

Light up a cigar, pop-a-top, take off the boots and relax. Tell'em Satan has the shelter reserved and should arrive any minute.

But seriously, don't complain if you stay in shelters because this is what you get, sometimes a lot worse. Satan could really show up at the shelter.

That section seems like a favorite for large groups to hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1322258
    +1 to that

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what he said
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
    so lesson learned? Do not stay in shelters
    ...and run way from cults

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    That section seems like a favorite for large groups to hike.
    They were most likely set up in the group campground below the Kimsey Creek trail. Any one of the shelters around Standing Indian CG can be invaded like that. I wouldn't have been happy either and would have done the same... go up up on the ridge and find a flat spot for a tent. That is what I usually do on that section... but the shelter is kind of nice when you arrive in the pouring rain.

September 2 - Vermont Route 12 ... in Vermont-New Hampshire
    Milepoint 1702.6, 146 days since start of hike, averaging 11.7 miles per day

Last night when I'd arrived at camp, I discovered a tree stump with a board across the top of it directly in front of the shelter.

I asked the other hikers, "What is this...a pulpit?"

No one knew for sure.

Not yet having taken off my backpack, I approached the pulpit and in my very best Reverend Velveeta voice said, "My friendzzz...I come to you-ah tonight...heavy with pack."

One thru-hiker sitting on a nearby log said, "Yea-yah."

The Reverend Ra-ru joined me at the pulpit, pointing his finger at the audience of thru-hikers and said, "And I'm here this evening to tell YOU-AH...how to save your soles."

All of us in unison said, YEA-YAH!"

Work it Ra-ru, work it.

Datto

Journal Entries
    Images

That kinda stuff happens. Use the time to gently educate the kids on outdoor and trail ethics. Usually the ones who do not listen won't be back anyway. Sure would rather see the kids on the trail then in the streets.

Im all for kids, churches, scouts,. whatever being out, but as LW says, avoid shelters.

In 98, I didnt and one fine memory somewhere in VA was this, it was POURING RAIN and I had gotten in to a shelter around 5 and decided to stay, it was empty and I got in a corner and took up almost no space, along comes 9 people about dark, lots of kids and two women.

One of the woman came straight up and looked at me and said they were from so and so church and that they had contacted the rnagers about using this shelter and that I had to get out so the kids could stay in it.

I laughed at her and asked her again what church was she from????
    Then I explained to her that she was full of crap in the nicest of ways.

The thing is, honestly, I would have gotten up for the kids had she even attempted civility, but she choose assholism over that.

Its never the kids, even if it is, its the leaders.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Im all for kids, churches, scouts,. whatever being out, but as LW says, avoid shelters.

In 98, I didnt and one fine memory somewhere in VA was this, it was POURING RAIN and I had gotten in to a shelter around 5 and decided to stay, it was empty and I got in a corner and took up almost no space, along comes 9 people about dark, lots of kids and two women.

One of the woman came straight up and looked at me and said they were from so and so church and that they had contacted the rnagers about using this shelter and that I had to get out so the kids could stay in it.

I laughed at her and asked her again what church was she from????
    Then I explained to her that she was full of crap in the nicest of ways.

The thing is, honestly, I would have gotten up for the kids had she even attempted civility, but she choose assholism over that.

Its never the kids, even if it is, its the leaders.

I love it when Lion King gets annoyed. The final statement says it all, whether speaking of humans or canines.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    The final statement says it all, whether speaking of humans or canines.
    Amen sister.....Amen!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Light up a cigar, pop-a-top, take off the boots and relax. Tell'em Satan has the shelter reserved and should arrive any minute.

But seriously, don't complain if you stay in shelters because this is what you get, sometimes a lot worse. Satan could really show up at the shelter.
    you owe me a new laptop. rotfl.... too funny

As a Christian, I want youth leaders to be more aware of good citizenship when getting large groups together. A simple explaination to the kiddos before the trip about woods etiquette would have gone a long way. Taking your poles was really a big nono.

Images

All the more reason to always carry shelter..............freedom, to me finding great tenting spots is more and more of the fun on the AT

I would have called out the leader of the group and suggested that they teach their christian kids not to steal your hiking poles. They may not be ashamed of the gospel of christ, but they sure as hell didn't seem like they knew the 10 commandments. Beyond that, each one of those 40 other people had just as much right to be there as you did...including the right to say what they wanted. Course there would have been nothing preventing you from teaching your own class on any number of subjects that they might not have approved of...any party offended by what was going on in that shelter was free to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    As a Christian, I want youth leaders to be more aware of good citizenship when getting large groups together. A simple explaination to the kiddos before the trip about woods etiquette would have gone a long way. Taking your poles was really a big nono.
    I agree, that wasn't cool, at all, for the kids to run off with your poles ,without asking you first, if they could borrow them. I wouldn't say they broke any commandments by doing that. It was inconsiderant and rude IMHO. Kids need to learn better manners. Christians are always held to a higher standard, immediately. I guess I can understand that- if you claim the devil as yo daddy-watch out, right?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++