WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Weather

  1. #1
    Registered User So Far's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-17-2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Age
    38
    Posts
    55

    Default Weather

    Weather is showing no rain for the 10 days I will backpacking out there...could I get away with no tent fly and rain coat or is that just stupid?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Was that forecast from the Weather Channel or your weather rock?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by So Far View Post
    Weather is showing no rain for the 10 days I will backpacking out there...could I get away with no tent fly and rain coat or is that just stupid?
    I won't say it's stupid, but do you believe in Morpheus's Law?

  4. #4
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    67
    Posts
    5,339
    Images
    25

    Default

    your avatar says youhiked the trail. you know the odds
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  5. #5
    Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12
    Join Date
    04-22-2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I just completed the JMT last Sunday (August 5th) - it was mostly dry, however I think it would be foolish to attempt such a hike without a rain jacket and shelter or tent. Combine a little rain with 10,000'+ elevation and wind - you're not going to have much fun if your clothing and/or sleeping bag get wet.

  6. #6
    PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014
    Join Date
    11-27-2011
    Location
    Tucson
    Age
    34
    Posts
    778

    Default

    It doesn't say he's hiked the JMT, which is presumably what he's asking about. I bet you could get away with no rain gear, especially if you've got a fleece layer or a windshirt layer or both that will suffice in a(n unlikely) pinch. As for the no-fly ... unlike John Muir himself, I wouldn't dream of walking into the Sierra with no shelter whatsoever. Ditch the raingear, bring the fly, watch the sky, and set it up five minutes before it rains if/when it does. You'll be able to see it coming and it probably won't last long.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

    "The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

    http://www.scrubhiker.com/

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    As others have said, you could probably do it, but it would be stupid to try.

  8. #8
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,856
    Images
    7

    Default

    You should know that mountains make their own weather. A good pop-up thunderstorm in the late afternoon and evening are always a possibility. Plus, in the summer, I like being in a bug-free environment at night. You should at least take a tent fly that you can pitch with poles, cord, whatever.

  9. #9
    Registered User So Far's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-17-2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Age
    38
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I forgot to mention that i was only backpacking 5 days not the whole JMT. I never said no tent and i know the weather out west can be diff than the east and the AT. Thanks all!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-18-2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,610
    Images
    36

    Default

    Best case weather forecasts are 50/50, 5 or 10 days out, worthless.

    For the extra bit of weight, pack safe & smart

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-01-2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    150
    Images
    1

    Default

    I just finished the JMT, had 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms. We were prepared and it worked out OK. Bring at least a waterproof shelter and something to hike in, be it a poncho or a jacket. I just brought a Dri-Ducks suit and it saved my hike (also kept me warm on windy days). My tent leaked and I had to use a space blanket as a rain fly.

    Never go into the Sierras unprepared for rain, regardless of the forecast.

  12. #12
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,540
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    I just finished the JMT, had 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms. We were prepared and it worked out OK. Bring at least a waterproof shelter and something to hike in, be it a poncho or a jacket. I just brought a Dri-Ducks suit and it saved my hike (also kept me warm on windy days). My tent leaked and I had to use a space blanket as a rain fly.

    Never go into the Sierras unprepared for rain, regardless of the forecast.
    Yep, 5 ounces (jacket) worth of Dri-Ducks? Don't leave home without 'em.

    Related question; Does anyone know how the weather typically runs in late September? We're doing the northern half then (Bishop to Happy Isles). We'll be prepared for the worst, but not quite sure what "the worst" is. Is snow feasible then, at least below 10,000' (yes I realize we'll be above 10K some of the time).

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-01-2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    150
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, 5 ounces (jacket) worth of Dri-Ducks? Don't leave home without 'em.

    Related question; Does anyone know how the weather typically runs in late September? We're doing the northern half then (Bishop to Happy Isles). We'll be prepared for the worst, but not quite sure what "the worst" is. Is snow feasible then, at least below 10,000' (yes I realize we'll be above 10K some of the time).
    Snow is feasible, but not likely. Rain and hail are far more likely if the weather goes bad. Good "summer" type weather usually holds into late September, early October, and even then it usually stays pretty mild.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •