WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Big Agnes > mont-bell > Tarptent? Ultralight 2-person tent.

I threw together a comprehensive xcel spreadsheet of 17 different ultralight 2-person tents and have narrowed the choice down to 3:

1) Big Agnes UL2 - 39 oz (2.44 lbs)
    2) mont-bell Crescent 2 - 48 oz (3.0 lbs)
    3) Tarptent Squall 2 - 34 oz (2.125 lbs)

I have used the Squall 2 (AT thru-hike) and it did fair pretty well though not ideal for wet conditions. If anyone has used the Big Agnes or the mont-bell and could offer some advice on setup, fitting in pack, staying dry and ventilation, that would be greatly appreciated!

Tent would primarily be used for weekend hikes in WI, though I want this tent for the option of 1-2 week hikes throughout the country.

*Big Agnes weight is different from website to reflect true trail weight, with stakes, guy lines and stuff sacks.
    **Big Agnes and mont-bell do have a double-wall, which is a very important element and almost rules out the Tarptent.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Journal Entries

my buddy used the big ag. and,it served him great..... he would put all his stuff, pack, shoes,ect on the left side, and he would sleep on the right side..... i had a big ag. copper 1 spur..... and he seemed to fair a lot better than me on the wet days.... i love my tent, but for the weight and room you get.... can't beat it.
    eveready

Journal Entries

Thanks ekeverette!

*This tent will be used primarily with myself and my girlfriend. Occasionally by myself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by travisap View Post
    I threw together a comprehensive xcel spreadsheet of 17 different ultralight 2-person tents and have narrowed the choice down to 3:

1) Big Agnes UL2 - 39 oz (2.44 lbs)
    2) mont-bell Crescent 2 - 48 oz (3.0 lbs)
    3) Tarptent Squall 2 - 34 oz (2.125 lbs)

I have used the Squall 2 (AT thru-hike) and it did fair pretty well though not ideal for wet conditions. If anyone has used the Big Agnes or the mont-bell and could offer some advice on setup, fitting in pack, staying dry and ventilation, that would be greatly appreciated!

Tent would primarily be used for weekend hikes in WI, though I want this tent for the option of 1-2 week hikes throughout the country.

*Big Agnes weight is different from website to reflect true trail weight, with stakes, guy lines and stuff sacks.
    **Big Agnes and mont-bell do have a double-wall, which is a very important element and almost rules out the Tarptent.
    I have a BA Copper Spur 1 & 2. I used the CS2 this year on the AT and was caught in some vicious rain and 60 MPH wind storms and stayed dry. Loved this tent, plenty of room to keep all gear inside. I'm planning to use the CP1 next year.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

I might suggest checking out Lightheart tents.

Started with a BA SL1, too heavy, great tent
    A few years ago I purchased a Tarptent, great gear, not as water tight as I would like, super easy & fast to setup

Purchased a Lightheart Cuben Fiber tent for Fall hikes, lighter, more waterproof, will see how it does in the field.

I have been very happy with my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2.

The Squall can be a great shelter for two (or for one that likes a lot of space...) for throughhikes or fast and light kind of stuff.
    For a weekender particularly where rain can be expected I would suggest 9for a TT) the StratoSpire 2.
    Larger interior , very large vestibules designed so that the floor remains protected when open and of course with the two doors you can choose the non weather side too.
    Probably tricky to set up on a platform but can stand up just using the 4 corners and letting one or both vestibules down (obviously not in rough weather, platforms are usually in protected areas)
    All Tarptents set up dry (fly first or integral pitch, that is fly and inner up at the same time as with the SS2)
    BTW, I would also suggest that for two guys doing the AT together because of the interior space and the relatively low weight divided in two.
    Franco
    (if you buy one in Australia, I will make some money out of you...)
    I have a couple of YouTube videos on that one under francodarioli

The Big Agnes (Fly Creek?) UL 2 is a solid shelter for one person wanting a true double-walled tent, but it's barely big enough to be called a two person shelter. I've slept in one with another person and it felt like we were in a sardine can all night - it was almost too much for us to both sleep on our backs at the same time. If I remember correctly, my (single person) Lunar Solo has almost the same interior square footage.
    This is an adventure.

++ New Posts ++