WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Tipping and Donations

this is a pet peeve of mine.

some will justify their lack of tipping, by stating how important THEIR journey is and tipping would put a strain on THEIR fiances to complete THEIR dream.

others do not understand donations at hostels. i feel the donation asked for is the minimum they need to keep it open, but feel free to donate more.

shuttle drivers are others that can be tipped. if the drive was free from hostel i aways tipped the driver.

when in town, what impression do you leave with business owners by how you tip?

please run with this like i need to ask

KK&K
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

+1 KK&K!

Yes, some dreams cost a bit of money to make come to fruition. That shouldn't be someone else's problem - You are the one who chose to partake of your dream. Think of ALL the costs that have gone up the past few years - gas, food, electricity, water, etc... Those costs haven't just gone up for the people who are undertaking their hike. Those costs have also gone up for all the shuttle drivers, hostel providers, and everyone out there who is helping to make your dream come true.

If a $6 donation (to use as an example) is required... Wow. I can't imagine how a place could be run on $6 a night. If everyone gave just the bare minimum, or skipped out on the donation, just how long would that business be around? Shouldn't the people who partake of these services do their best to make sure the same services will be around for future hiking classes?

As with any group, there are some who choose to Hike Their Own Hike in ways that are less than considerate to their hiking brethren. Obnoxious town behavior, expecting everyone to bow down to them because they are hiking the AT (or the PCT or the CDT...), just being inconsiderate in general. These behaviors tend to reflect on more than just that one person. It reflects on the rest of the hikers out there. If someone skips out on a bill, and the behavior repeats, then it makes ALL of us look bad. Eventually, the services will not be offered.

Excuses should not be tolerated. If you didn't have the money, you should not have partaken of the services. It is not up to others to foot the bill for you. It is up to you to pay your own way. If you don't have the money, stay in your tent. Seems pretty simple to me. Don't come up with excuses.

As for tipping and free rides - Think about what that person is giving up to haul your butt around. They didn't have to give up their morning/afternoon/evening to make sure you got to where you wanted to go. If you want people to go the extra mile for you in the future, then you'd better make sure to make it worth their while. "Free" for you, does not equate to "free" for them.

Tipping in restaurants - Most (there are exceptions!) wait staff will bust their butts to get your meal to you as soon as they can. They don't make a lot of money doing this job. Tipping them small amounts (compared to the bill)...or not tipping at all...will just cause them to become jaded and look at all hikers as trash. Why bust your butt for someone who won't even bother with a tip? Nope. They will spend more of their time waiting on the tables that actually will tip. That doesn't make anyone feel good, especially the hiker who really wants to leave a nice tip.

The bottom line - Yeah, these things will run up the cost of your hike. But, you were the one who chose to hike the trail. You were the one who chose to partake of services along the way. Don't stiff the people who are helping to make YOUR hike possible.

Guess that is a pet peeve of mine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    +1 KK&K!

Yes, some dreams cost a bit of money to make come to fruition. That shouldn't be someone else's problem - You are the one who chose to partake of your dream. Think of ALL the costs that have gone up the past few years - gas, food, electricity, water, etc... Those costs haven't just gone up for the people who are undertaking their hike. Those costs have also gone up for all the shuttle drivers, hostel providers, and everyone out there who is helping to make your dream come true.

If a $6 donation (to use as an example) is required... Wow. I can't imagine how a place could be run on $6 a night. If everyone gave just the bare minimum, or skipped out on the donation, just how long would that business be around? Shouldn't the people who partake of these services do their best to make sure the same services will be around for future hiking classes?

As with any group, there are some who choose to Hike Their Own Hike in ways that are less than considerate to their hiking brethren. Obnoxious town behavior, expecting everyone to bow down to them because they are hiking the AT (or the PCT or the CDT...), just being inconsiderate in general. These behaviors tend to reflect on more than just that one person. It reflects on the rest of the hikers out there. If someone skips out on a bill, and the behavior repeats, then it makes ALL of us look bad. Eventually, the services will not be offered.

Excuses should not be tolerated. If you didn't have the money, you should not have partaken of the services. It is not up to others to foot the bill for you. It is up to you to pay your own way. If you don't have the money, stay in your tent. Seems pretty simple to me. Don't come up with excuses.

As for tipping and free rides - Think about what that person is giving up to haul your butt around. They didn't have to give up their morning/afternoon/evening to make sure you got to where you wanted to go. If you want people to go the extra mile for you in the future, then you'd better make sure to make it worth their while. "Free" for you, does not equate to "free" for them.

Tipping in restaurants - Most (there are exceptions!) wait staff will bust their butts to get your meal to you as soon as they can. They don't make a lot of money doing this job. Tipping them small amounts (compared to the bill)...or not tipping at all...will just cause them to become jaded and look at all hikers as trash. Why bust your butt for someone who won't even bother with a tip? Nope. They will spend more of their time waiting on the tables that actually will tip. That doesn't make anyone feel good, especially the hiker who really wants to leave a nice tip.

The bottom line - Yeah, these things will run up the cost of your hike. But, you were the one who chose to hike the trail. You were the one who chose to partake of services along the way. Don't stiff the people who are helping to make YOUR hike possible.

Guess that is a pet peeve of mine, too.
    Do you seriously believe what you replied??? Must be true... You can't fix WhiteBlaze, oops, stupid...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Do you seriously believe what you replied??? Must be true... You can't fix WhiteBlaze, oops, stupid...
    Actually, I do believe what I said. I guess I don't want to follow to herd. Never thought I could "fix" WB... OP asked us to respond, so I did.

Water Rat - your answer said it ALL! If hikers stiff hostels and waitresses, all of us are hurt by this negative behavior. I actually overtip when I am hiking to make up for all the hikers who don't.

Toli - I believe this 100% and I can guarantee you that I'm far from being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat:1323033
    Actually, I do believe what I said. I guess I don't want to follow to herd. Never thought I could "fix" WB... OP asked us to respond, so I did.
    Water Rat great answer. Toli your wrong as usual.

You didn't hike your hike, there were shuttle owner's who groomed there dirt driveways so they could come git cha, you didn't build that. You did make that bed, there was someone there to do that for.

I always T.I.P. to insure promptness......on my return visit.

Water Rat - You are not wrong. (Where is Winds when I need him, but basically your post said

1. Your dream shouldn't be someone else's problem.
    2. The costs for shuttle drivers, hostels, restaurants and other places that support hikers has increased.
    3. If everyone gave the bare minimum or skipped out on their bill, how long would the business be around?
    4. Shouldn't hikers do their best to ensure that these businesses are there for future generations of hikers?
    5. Bad hiking behavior like stiffing a place reflects poorly on all hikers.
    6. Excuses should not be tolerated.
    7. If you can't afford to stay there, stay in your tent.
    8. It is not up to others to foot the bill for you.
    9. Not tipping or poor tipping will cause staff to become jaded.
    10. Don't stiff the people who are helping to make YOUR hike possible.

Anyone who has a problem with this should stay in their tent; get their food from grocery stores; and get their sodas from a machine. That is the best way for you to save money.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    Water Rat - You are not wrong. (Where is Winds when I need him, but basically your post said

1. Your dream shouldn't be someone else's problem.
    2. The costs for shuttle drivers, hostels, restaurants and other places that support hikers has increased.
    3. If everyone gave the bare minimum or skipped out on their bill, how long would the business be around?
    4. Shouldn't hikers do their best to ensure that these businesses are there for future generations of hikers?
    5. Bad hiking behavior like stiffing a place reflects poorly on all hikers.
    6. Excuses should not be tolerated.
    7. If you can't afford to stay there, stay in your tent.
    8. It is not up to others to foot the bill for you.
    9. Not tipping or poor tipping will cause staff to become jaded.
    10. Don't stiff the people who are helping to make YOUR hike possible.

Anyone who has a problem with this should stay in their tent; get their food from grocery stores; and get their sodas from a machine. That is the best way for you to save money.
    Thanks, Krytonite! Your summation of my post was dead-on. I wasn't worried about being wrong. I do worry when others think this way of thinking is wrong. That means those people have no thoughts of anyone but themselves. In this instance, that kind of thinking will impact all the other hikers who come along after the person who decided to skip out on a bill, not tip, or otherwise made others think horrible thoughts about hikers. I know I don't want to be the next hiker to follow that person. I don't want to be the one who has to clean up the previous hiker's mess.

There is a saying. It goes something like "Don't sh** in your bed." If you are cheating others to make your dream come true, this is exactly what you are doing.

Images

Dang... Can't edit. I forgot the "p" in Kryptonite. My apologies!

More importantly, "don't sh** on the trail!" Cause we are all hiking right behind you and don't want to step in it! (Figuratively and literally)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    More importantly, "don't sh** on the trail!" Cause we are all hiking right behind you and don't want to step in it! (Figuratively and literally)
    Yes! Perfect!!! Those were my thoughts, but I just couldn't word them as eloquently as you did!

Put another way..." your mama don't work here, wipe your own dam butt"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Put another way..." your mama don't work here, wipe your own dam butt"
    Ummm... Rocketsocks... THAT is a disturbing image! No wonder why you keep asking if your computer camera is on!!

Hi...

I believe that employees who provided good service should be tipped.

On the other hand, I don't believe in tipping the OWNER of those businesses.

Ummm... Rocketsocks... THAT is a disturbing image! No wonder why you keep asking if your computer camera is on!!
    awe dam....I really cannot imagine someone stiffing a person that is there to help them, it must be a mind set that they grow up with...people are out to gouge them. Shame!

Default m not thinning itout

Good for you brother.. BTW, no one can "fix" WB... I don't follow "the "herd" either... If I'm not thinning it out, I'm leaving it behind to natural selection ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    On the other hand, I don't believe in tipping the OWNER of those businesses.
    I never tip owners

And I am an owner.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Water Rat great answer. Toli your wrong as usual.
    Sticks and stones can break my bones, but the 3 dog-thrus, 2 solo, 10's of 1000's of miles on the trail, will never hurt me... ur mom said "hi"...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I never tip owners

And I am an owner.
    same here! i learned about tipping at the barber shop in '59. if the owner cut, no tip. employee you tip. my dad let me hand him the money
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++