WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    What about the stench that we hikers leave behind? Did you think you smelled like roses?

Also when you stiff a server they pay taxes on the amount you should have tipped. Their declared tips must be a state mandated % of their sales!

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Also when you stiff a server they pay taxes on the amount you should have tipped. Their declared tips must be a state mandated % of their sales!
    What is the list of services that falls into this tax trap? Is it limited to restaurants?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    What is the list of services that falls into this tax trap? Is it limited to restaurants?
    I only know that restaurant servers are subject to this, but other tipped industries may have similar rules. They have to declare tips based on a % of their sales. The taxes on their tips in North Carolina are based on sales not the actual tipped amount. The state does this because the only real records are sales.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

I have worked and lived at all ends of the income/wealth spectrum. However, the thing that I never have forgotten is that almost everyone appreciates a little kindness. For folks who are running a small service business and only ask for "Donations" and for all of the "little people" who make the world go around (wait staff, cabbies, shuttle drivers, pizza delivery folks, the people who clean the showers/bathrooms, etc.) I feel that it makes ME FEEL BETTER if I can tip. I won't try to tell you how much you should tip...but my rule of thumb is this, "What amount of money would make me feel good to get as a tip...if I were the one providing the service?" BTW, following my own tipping rules means I never have to worry that I am going to get bad service from someone who I have previously stiffed/left no or too little tip.

Also, I NEVER TIP rude people or folks whose customer service is poor. Instead, before I leave I actually tell them to their faces why I will not be tipping them.

Maybe it is me, but in my experience, the folks who most often don't tip/tip poorly are the same folks who are saving up their money to buy THEMSELVES some special treat along the way.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Ain't it funny how these no tip cheapskates never sit down at a restaurant and tell the waiter/waitress, "Hey, I am not going to leave you a decent tip, maybe not going to leave you any tip". No, they enjoy the service knowing full well that their drinks will be refilled, they can request extra's and be treated like normal paying customers when in fact they are playing the server on trust and have every intention of shafting them out of the tip. Thieves, cowards and punks. Ain't man enough to stand up for what they are. Cheat some hard working old woman or working mom out of her pay and brag about it.
    In my experinece a great many people who would never leave less than 15% -- and whoe usually leave more -- at a restaraunt have no qualms stiffing the housekeeper when making up thier room at a $100+ night hotel.

I have been guilt of this myself.

I wonder how many others have beeen as low brow as me? I am sure from the tone of TD55s post he always leaves 5 or 10 bucks for the housekeeper, but what about everyone else? How much do you leave at for an inexpensive motel night, and how much did you tip the crew at the huts (whether or not you did a work for stay)?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In my experinece a great many people who would never leave less than 15% -- and whoe usually leave more -- at a restaraunt have no qualms stiffing the housekeeper when making up thier room at a $100+ night hotel.

I have been guilt of this myself.

I wonder how many others have beeen as low brow as me? I am sure from the tone of TD55s post he always leaves 5 or 10 bucks for the housekeeper, but what about everyone else? How much do you leave at for an inexpensive motel night, and how much did you tip the crew at the huts (whether or not you did a work for stay)?
    I've seen how hard the housekeepers work and I always leave $5 per night. Haven't made it to the huts yet - tip will depend on service. I always try to tip - never have asked if the person providing the service was the owner - why would it matter?

#2 boy was a waiter for a long time - it's an easy way to finance a drug habit (his - not saying all waitstaff are druggies) - lots of money rolling in, minimal taxes paid, cash for whatever. Also easy to lie about your bills: didn't get many tips last night, don't have the money for rent/electric/water/whatever.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I've seen how hard the housekeepers work and I always leave $5 per night. Haven't made it to the huts yet - tip will depend on service. I always try to tip - never have asked if the person providing the service was the owner - why would it matter?

#2 boy was a waiter for a long time - it's an easy way to finance a drug habit (his - not saying all waitstaff are druggies) - lots of money rolling in, minimal taxes paid, cash for whatever. Also easy to lie about your bills: didn't get many tips last night, don't have the money for rent/electric/water/whatever.
    Old Hiker, you seem like a good man and I am sorry that your son had a problem with drugs. But most waiters/servers are very hard working people. So many are single moms or working their way through school or just trying to survive. Because our economy is so slow right now, all across the country restaurants are closing, hours are being cut and less tips are being left. There are very, very few servers who are making really good money. Even those who work in Vegas have seen their tips diminish, although admittedly some of them are quite well-paid.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am sure from the tone of TD55s post he always leaves 5 or 10 bucks for the housekeeper, but what about everyone else? How much do you leave at for an inexpensive motel night, and how much did you tip the crew at the huts (whether or not you did a work for stay)?
    I did not know until a few years ago that I was expected to leave a housekeeper tip. I guess I stiffed a few housekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    I did not know until a few years ago that I was expected to leave a housekeeper tip. I guess I stiffed a few housekeepers.
    I am nearly your age. WhiteBlaze was the first time I had ever heard of it.

I'm wondering if it is a regional thing.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

I tip generously when I have been served above expectations.
    I tip minimally when service was very poor.

No one is supposed to make so much money as a server, that they want to do it forever. But many do, thanks to insane tipping guidelines.

Had a girlfriend in college waitressed at a restraunt in a hotel where business travelers stayed. She worked only 2 nights a week, and made about $500, largely unreported, and that was 25 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters:1323355
    I tip generously when I have been served above expectations.
    I tip minimally when service was very poor.

No one is supposed to make so much money as a server, that they want to do it forever. But many do, thanks to insane tipping guidelines.

Had a girlfriend in college waitressed at a restraunt in a hotel where business travelers stayed. She worked only 2 nights a week, and made about $500, largely unreported, and that was 25 yrs ago.
    That kind of money is the exception not the rule. More typical would be 10 hours and $90 in gratuity. With oddball $20 or $200 days.

394 hikers through Bastian and I have the count because every one of them came and stayed at my Dojo. shuttled them, gave them accommodating, showers, some stayed up to 5 days. I have helped with cash shortages, equipment failures, and "Get me home, please!" I have to date not taken a single penny from any of them. Why? Fort Bastian Recreation will stand by its credo off being there FOR the hikers not the hikers are there to give me a business. Profiteering from hikers in my opinion is low. Obviously the profiteers never hiked anywhere but to the store a block away! LOL. I now have 394 ambassadors fro Fort Bastian, word of mouth advertizing = Priceless. Thank you to all my guests, best of luck to you and come back soon. Oh and by the way shuttling in a private vehicle is illegal in every State in the USA. you are not a hackneyed licensed and insured vehicle and as such cannot charge a fare paying passenger. Do it for the magic not the profit.

Tipping? Just getting most thru-hikers, I talking long distance and not section hikers, to pay their fair share is almost a miracle. You got them bugging you for this and that, especially money. Ultra light hikers never bring all they need, so hence the ultra light, and they are the worst about wanting this and that. Getting them to pay honor-system type fees are a joke. These guys are beach-bums without a beach.

Water Rat great answer. Toli your wrong as usual.
    Toli your wrong as usual. I rest my case moron...

Quote Originally Posted by Toli:1323407
    Water Rat great answer. Toli your wrong as usual.
    Toli your wrong as usual. I rest my case moron...

The comeback of a six year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubrit View Post
    Profiteering from hikers in my opinion is low. Obviously the profiteers never hiked anywhere but to the store a block away! Do it for the magic not the profit.
    really. so MRO for example should just sell everything to hikers at cost but all others pay retail? Damascus Dave (owner) has thru-hiked the AT and walked thousands of other miles. why not make money off hikers? they're tourists on vacation like anybody else. nothing special about walking a trail. they don't have to be out there.

Images

Without getting into some of the vitriol going down around here I am paying a lot of attention to this as I want to be remembered well next year and down my way we as a whole DON'T TIP. Very unAustralian behaviour to tip.
    This is generally reflected in the level of service you get.
    Except in major tourist places accustomed to foreigners tipping is not expected.
    I understand the norm is different in the US and often automatically added, and while I am not that well to do that I am in a position to throw money around, I certainly am happy to tip for service. If the service is shyte I will probably let my background overrule my goodwill....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    I'm so misunderstood ... I see you have a female avitar, my bad... BYTCHES did not apply to you ... It was just slang for a mad diss by SLY... You took it out of context... Hostels that work on "donations" do so to avoid paying taxes was what I was replying to... Its not just Hostel's either, to be fair...
    No, Toli. I highly doubt I took anything out of context. Rather than call people names and say stuff about other people (and their mothers), why don't you use your words and pass on information regarding the extensive hiking you have done? That would do far more to prove your point.

I doubt that Toli even exists. He's just some troll...

Journal Entries

That kind of money is the exception not the rule. More typical would be 10 hours and $90 in gratuity. With oddball $20 or $200 days.

I grew up in a resort area. It wasnt uncommon for waitresses to maek $100 /night in tips in the early 80s. My sister did that in HS and weekends, that was about what she made. I knew bartenders that made $200/nigh on fri and sat., unreported. Then they drew unemployment 4 mo out of the yr because their jobs were seasonal.

Some people make A LOT of money on tips.

We has a college intern about 10 yrs ago, was paid an engineers starting salary for her summer job. This was ~$50,000 probably at that tim. She also worked at Hooters. She made more money working at hooters that summer, than her engineering job paid.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++