WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Ho much did you tip an AMC Croo?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default How much did you tip the AMC croo at your Hut stay?

This poll asks who much you tipped the AMC croo after a stay at a White Mountiain hut.

Images

I was wondering the same thing. I am headed out for a few hut stays (only way I could get a few friends out on the trail) next month. Does anyone know if the Croo divides the tips? That answer will play into what I choose to leave as a tip. The huts are pretty expensive, so my tip starts out as being based on what I am paying to stay per night. I will factor in whether or not they split tips (if they split, I will leave a little more), and what the service was like.

I realize I am not the normal hiker. I don't make a ton of money, but I do believe in tipping for good service. These (mostly) kids bust their butts and most likely do not make a lot of money (base pay). There are also a lot of tourists who choose not to tip. That is their choice. I still look at it as a cheap vacation. Sounds like the Croo puts on a pretty good show, too.

If I recall right, most of the huts have a jar for tips, so it must be divided among all the crew.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    If I recall right, most of the huts have a jar for tips, so it must be divided among all the crew.
    Thanks for the info! That will help me prepare for my trip. I kinda figured (and was planning for) the tips to be divided.

nothing. i was never a paying customer. i was doing their work

Nothing, It is soooo overpriced that I figure they are making big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Nothing, It is soooo overpriced that I figure they are making big bucks.
    plus the majority of those kids go to ivy league schools and have hefty trust funds

Nothing, I never stayed in a hut. I might have left some change for the leftover muffins put out on the table.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nothing. i was never a paying customer. i was doing their work
    I am guessing that if a person doing a "work for stay" valued their light manual labor at $25 per hour, they come out way ahead in the deal. Why not tip the crew on the net value received? Think of it as a donation that will help keep the door open for future thru hikers.

Or at least send a thank you note to the AMC. It is shocking to think that some appear to think that they are doing the club a favor when they do a work for stay. Even of you have a stealth site near Lakes you should tip the crew some small amount if you use their flush toilets that they keep clean for you. Why the sense of entitlement?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am guessing that if a person doing a "work for stay" valued their light manual labor at $25 per hour, they come out way ahead in the deal. Why not tip the crew on the net value received? Think of it as a donation that will help keep the door open for future thru hikers.

Or at least send a thank you note to the AMC. It is shocking to think that some appear to think that they are doing the club a favor when they do a work for stay. Even of you have a stealth site near Lakes you should tip the crew some small amount if you use their flush toilets that they keep clean for you. Why the sense of entitlement?
    i worked pretty damn hard cleaning pots and pans and slept on the floor. why is the crew entitled to a tip?

Images

I gave 10 dollars, They supplied some pretty good home brew during a fall stay at the Greenleaf hut ..

Uh, it never occurred to me to leave a tip. I spent plenty just to stay, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

i worked pretty damn hard cleaning pots and pans and slept on the floor. why is the crew entitled to a tip?
    yeah, that's kinda how i see it too, LW. i don't think they expect tips from thru hikers @ the huts anyways.

my first time thru the whites, i did everything from hauling & stacking several cords of firewood, to cleaning a stove & oven that hadn't been cleaned in over a year--this was in addition to washing pots & pans after meals.

my next time thru the whites i didn't bother with the huts. stealthing out on the rocks was much nicer and i only had to clean up after myself.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Journal Entries
    Images

A bunk and dinner at Lakes goes for about $110 bucks.

How long did you wash dishes for?

If you didn't think they deserved a tip, I hope you appreciate the accommodation the club extended to you. I lot don't but they should.

where does it freakin' end? should we tip the shelter and campsite caretakers too? how about the front desk clerks at motels? i bet they don't make much more than the housekeeping gals

Images

don't forget to leave a few bucks at ranger stations too, they ain't makin a killing either.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Given the outrageous prices the AMC now charges to stay at the huts.. there is Absolutely no way in hell I would ever add to the cost by leaving a tip!!

Frankly, the AMC has priced me right out of staying at huts. 100 bucks (member rate!) to stay at a hut on a Saturday night?? Seriously. Talk of fleecing!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Given the outrageous prices the AMC now charges to stay at the huts.. there is Absolutely no way in hell I would ever add to the cost by leaving a tip!!

Frankly, the AMC has priced me right out of staying at huts. 100 bucks (member rate!) to stay at a hut on a Saturday night?? Seriously. Talk of fleecing!!
    i'm pretty sure they can afford a few extra dollars per hour per hut employee

Don't forget to tip the cashier at the grocery store, the one at the gas station, the girl at the bank, the school crossing guards, the life guards at the beach, and above all don't forget to tip the greeter at walmart.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

The croo worked my azz off...THEY shoulda tipped ME!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++