WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpack for section hiking kid

My white blaze fever has spread to my 12 y/o child and now he wants to hit the woods with me when I go out on my 3 day section hikes. He's a bit thin and has no hips whatsoever. Any suggestions as to backpacks for a kid? I have an extgra frame pack but it's huge on him. I don't want him to be miserable out there on day 3.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

REI carries several youth size packs. A few have a wide range of torso lengths. Check them, if there's not a store near you then order online.
    Do you know how to measure Torso Length?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Jansport makes some really excellent book packs that would probably carry enough stuff for him. Check out the Big Student and the Merit. They are both mearly 2000cu in and should be on sale somewhere for around $20. Keep it light to keep him happy. If he does well then Christmas is just around the corner and a real pack would look nice under the tree.

Images

You live in Marshall, NC, right? You are not far at all from Diamond Brand which is an excellent store between Asheville and Mountain Home. I would look at a 45 or 50 liter Osprey Pack in a small size and then swap out the hip belt for an extra small or a ladies - - they would be happy to help you with that there and have a very good staff. When he gets a little bigger, he can keep the same pack and just change the hip belt. Unfortunately, a lot of "kid's packs" are not very will made. FYI, my daughter is 6 and has backpacked on several 10 mile (total) weekend trips which is a whole lot for a little kid. She carries an Arcteryx Day pack that I have customized a bit for her - - we keep her pack weight way down too. Others have suggested REI - being that you live close to Diamond Brand , I see no reason whatsoever that you would not go to DB - much higher quality service for sure. Another great store is Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest, SC - about 50 miles from you, I guess.
    Last edited by Papa D; 08-14-2012 at 22:13.

Journal Entries

You dont say what his torso size is. It could be 12 " or 17" at that age. That is the determining factor in what packs will fit.

Try the size small ULA circuit with adjustable shoulder strap panel (made for growing kids), adjusts from 13-18". Im a firm believer to buy the same quality gear for your kid as you would for yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You dont say what his torso size is. It could be 12 " or 17" at that age. That is the determining factor in what packs will fit.

Try the size small ULA circuit with adjustable shoulder strap panel (made for growing kids), adjusts from 13-18". Im a firm believer to buy the same quality gear for your kid as you would for yourself.
    I totally agree with buying kids quality gear - it's tough to expect someone with inferior equipment to perform at the same standard as someone with the good stuff

I'll measure his torso tomorrow and stop by DB and REI to see what they have to offer. Then I'll have to convince the wife that the expense is worth it. That's the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    I'll measure his torso tomorrow and stop by DB and REI to see what they have to offer. Then I'll have to convince the wife that the expense is worth it. That's the hard part.
    A quality pack with plenty of adjustment for size will cost 100-150 dollars and last for many years. That's a bargain, and an investment in your childs future. My 22 YO daughter still uses the REI Rising Star that she got when she was nine, happily and often. Refuses to upgrade, actually. Happy shopping.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

My family (wife, son and daughter and I) have been on the AT for the last two years and have completed over 300trail miles to date. We select gear based on use and weight. Since we know that our kids like backpacking we don't mind spending a little bit more on equipment, which means lighter gear.

My son is 11yo and we bought him an XS ULA Circuit. It fits him mostly, and he is a skinny rail. We don't load him down but he carries his sleeping bag, clothes, rain gear, water bladder, crocks, sleep mat, food for the day, sometimes an extra L of water when its hot. Usually his pack is between 12-15lb. He has done nearly 200mi this year with the pack and does not mind it at all. We are doing 15 plus miles a day most of these days, and he does just fine.

Our daughter wears a camelbak day pack and in it she carries her sleeping bag, rain gear, crocks, headlamp, cards, and some food for the day, her pack is usually between 8-12lb. She is 7. By the time my son outgrows the ULA we will pass that on to our daughter which will be in another year or so.

Why would we spend so much on a pack? Because it weighs so little compared to those adjustable packs that other companys make. For weight sake it allows him to carry that gear that my wife or I would have to carry. 3lb difference between packs is the weight a sleeping bag. To put it another way; as a hiker yourself, do you want something that fits and feels well and do you want gear that does the job well? Or are you satisfied with gear that just sort of gets the job done? If it works well you keep coming back for more, if it doesnt work well you won't do it again and it will be miserable.

How to sell it to your wife?
    On the trail you get to spend un interrupted 1:1 time together for as long as you are on the trail. This time is so valuable in so many ways. How much would you spend on XBOX or movies, or other stuff that your son will want that he will use by himself.

Do you research you will find what works for you.
    Feel free to PM me and I would be happy to share any insights I may have.

Journal Entries

Yep, my son has used his small adjustable Circuit since he was 13.5" torso, and now he is 17". I expect by next summer he will outgrow it and get a medium. Hundreds of miles, carrying up to 25 lbs, 15mpd avg. He has always carried 100% of his gear, food, water, and part of a tent , without issue. Wearing trail runners too of course.

It would be pretty cool if you got him a classic 1950s/60s era BSA Yucca backpack. Good packs with a lot of history.

++ New Posts ++