WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone want to start a SOBO soon, mid to late august?

I have been wanting to thru hike for about 3 years now, and I guess I've been waiting to finish up with school but I am ready to get going. I should've started at least a few weeks ago, but I have done some backpacking in the Smokies in single digit temps, snowstorms, and the like and I really enjoyed it. Granted, that was only for a few days at a time, but I've been working in an outdoors store stocking up on gear and I'm getting restless. I'm taking my dog Buck with me, and I don't mind being alone but I would like to make some friends along the way. Is there anyone thinking about starting anytime soon? And also, this will be my first attempt at a long distance hike and I know I'm choosing a pretty sticky time and direction to go but I believe I can do it if I can get through the Whites before the snow and get through the Smokies before anything closes up. Anybody have any suggestions, advice, or dissuasion attempts they want to share?

I don't have any specific advice, but you might like to check out the book Barefoot Sisters Southbound. A lot of their journey took place during the winter months. Very interesting read!

Images

If you get yourself to Maine soon, the northern part will be during a really nice time of year -- temps starting to cool, sunny days, no bugs. Just don't carry too heavy a load and you should get through the Whites before the weather turns really bad. Be prepared to wait out a few days in the Presidentials if the weather looks nasty -- be very cautious going above tree line in the north in bad weather.

Have fun!

++ New Posts ++