WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Z poles?

Default Z poles?

I am really interested in the folding trekking poles. Is there a good reason not to have folding? If not, Leki or black diamond?

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox:1325633
    I am really interested in the folding trekking poles. Is there a good reason not to have folding? If not, Leki or black diamond?
    I have the Black Diamond Distance FL which fold and adjust for length. Great poles with the only drawback is no snow baskets. They fold up short to get out of the way when not being used. I'm 150# and they easily support me.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I bought a pair and busted one within the first 25 miles. Got lousy service from BD, they essentially told me I was too tough on UL equipment. I think the idea was great, but there's weak spot in the design where the elastic cords attach. Caveat emptor.

I have seen the internal connectors on the BD Z poles fail within a few dozen miles, seen the poles break under moderate stress, and generally don't find them sturdy enough to count on them on aggressive terrain. I would suggest something beefier.

I'm curious about others experience with the z-poles. Do the poles work for those larger than 150 pounds unlike myself?
    Last edited by Rasty; 08-19-2012 at 12:03.

Images

I weigh 150 on the nose so I can't speak to support for more weight but as for durability, I have had no problem with mine. I've probably hiked about 400 miles with them - - you have to be a little gentle taking them apart and folding them evenly but aside from that, I have had no problems - the nice thing for me is that I often like hiking without poles - - up scree or talus, on a long flat road walk, or in a town (where they could be left or forgotten) - - the Z-Poles easily go on your pack with very little weight or hassle. I've never had to have "service" for mine, but I have had good experience with other Black Diamond products in the past - - about 8 years ago, they repaired a well used Beta-Mid Tent's stitching for me without a hitch.

One other thing I like is they fit inside my suitcase when I travel for work.

I've put a several hundred miles on my z poles with no issues. I am 5' 11" and 175lbs. I honestly never have worried about them.

Default Z poles?

Thanks guys for all of your input. Think I'm really going to try to find the best black diamond z poles. I'm sure this will work better for me;-)

Silverfox, don't forget there is two versions of the z poles. Fixed length and adjustable. Suggest the adjustable.

Images

I had the adjustable versions. They were wonderfully light and held my weight well. Unfortunately the tip of my right pole ripped out and that destroyed the line tension. I had used electrical tape to fix the floppy pole and it got me from Sugarloaf to Rangeley. Be sure to break them down every night and wipe the connection points so they don't bind up on you.
    2012 SOBO section Abol Bridge to Rangeley

Images

Wow, what different stories from different folks. I'm 185#, hike in super rugged terrain all over Colorado, bought a pair of BD Z-poles and really didn't expect them to last a week. Had them for 2 months now, abused them repeatedly, no problem. I just cannot resist the fact that these puppies weigh 4.7 ounces each. By the way: I generally only use one at a time. STILL expecting one of them to fail at some point. But: I bought them at REI (Return Every Item).

I like the fact that they are a fixed length (I use 120's), but fold up in thirds and tuck away while scrambling.

+1 for BD Z-poles.

Can z-poles be used with the lightheart solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho:1329909
    Can z-poles be used with the lightheart solo?
    Mine extend to 140 cm if that helps.

I was at Winding Stair Gap NC this past Mem Day weekend, and my poles were all messed up. They just didn't feel right, and I couldn't place the problem. My hike was wonderful, but things were just goofy with my poles. I finally figured out that when my wife dropped me off I had grabbed her poles by mistake. Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Silverfox, don't forget there is two versions of the z poles. Fixed length and adjustable. Suggest the adjustable.
    Hadn't noticed that thanks for the suggestion Rasty

Default Z poles?

Love my 120's but have less than 100 miles on them. Bought new off eBay for less than $99. I'm 210lbs

Journal Entries

I did consider them but ultimately when with the REI Carbon Fiber sticks, fully adjustable and has taken abuse such as pole vaulting down rock scrambles.

@Bucho,
    Yes, The Z-Poles will work with the LightHeart Solo. If they are adjustable, they will work as is. If they are fixed length and not 130 cm, you may require a custom ridge pole which I could make for you. Please email me: marc at lightheartgear dot com and I can take care of it. Numerous LH Solo users have BD Z-Poles and have had no problems.
    Marc Penansky
    LightHeart Gear

Tried z-poles, but just did not have the confidence in them that I felt was necessary for this piece of gear. To me, the folding up aspect was not a huge decision maker, as I usually strap my poles to the outside of my pack if not using them on the trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++